Gransnet forums

Chat

IRONIC HUMOUR ..........BUT so true

(92 Posts)
Maywalk Mon 17-May-21 19:52:22

I had this sent to me the other day and thought others might like to read it too.

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years.
No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.
He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

Knowing when to come in out of the rain
Why the early bird gets the worm
Life isn't always fair and maybe it was my fault
Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).
His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations
were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children.
It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an Aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realise that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death, by his parents, Truth and Trust, by his wife,
Discretion, by his daughter, Responsibility, and by his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers:

I Know My Rights
I Want It Now
Someone Else Is To Blame
I'm A Victim

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone.
If you still remember him pass this on.
If not, join the majority and do nothing.

grandMattie Mon 17-May-21 19:57:16

I knew a headmaster who used to announce at assemblies “Now let us pray for that most uncommon thing - common sense”!

MerylStreep Mon 17-May-21 20:15:54

Thank you for that Maywalk
The problem being that the majority know it to be true.
Can someone explain how we got to the situation where the tail is now wagging the dog ?

AmberSpyglass Mon 17-May-21 21:59:37

Oh grow up.

JenniferEccles Mon 17-May-21 22:23:01

Why the sneery comment AmberSpyglass ?
Can you not see just how representative of modern life it is ? Really?

ElaineI Mon 17-May-21 22:26:38

Agree wholeheartedly and getting worse sad

EllanVannin Mon 17-May-21 22:27:49

"^Oh grow up^"----typical answer from one who hasn't !

MerylStreep Mon 17-May-21 22:34:29

AmberSpyglass
I think you’ll find that the tide is turning against people like you. Very slowly, I’ll admit, but it’s happening.
Look at what’s happening with your beloved cancel culture
People are slowly coming out of fog they have been in and shouting no more

JenniferEccles Mon 17-May-21 22:40:26

Well said MerylStreep and Ellan
Yes Ithink the tide may be slowly turning. We
Common sense is making a good recovery thanks to those who believe in him (or her)

Lucca Mon 17-May-21 23:12:01

It says ironic humour. Did I miss something ? What “humour”?

Galaxy Tue 18-May-21 07:12:16

Indeed I remember those golden days of school, adults throwing things at children because they couldnt cope, a teacher mocking a child because they stammered, children with additional needs completely ignored, who wouldn't want that for children.

FannyCornforth Tue 18-May-21 07:24:05

I'm being petty, pedantic and off-topic.
But, please, can we use ellipses properly on Gransnet.
You only need three...
Thank you

Lucca Tue 18-May-21 07:24:38

I remember to this day a teacher calling a girl stupid
Then there was the ritual humiliation of end of term/year exam results being read out in descending order in front of whole year group.
Do let’s bring all that back.........

Lucca Tue 18-May-21 07:25:18

Oops...

Grammaretto Tue 18-May-21 07:38:31

Galaxy too true sad
Thanks to Maywalk for starting the conversation but I am quite old now and can truly say that common sense is still alive and well.
I have just watched a short film about climate change made by some 6th formers. It was intelligent, serious and left me with faith in our young people.

Common sense works both ways; you have to have some yourself before you recognise it in others.

FannyCornforth Tue 18-May-21 07:39:39

Lucca! ?

FannyCornforth Tue 18-May-21 07:41:31

Great post Grammeretto
Young people these days are so much more sensible than my lot were at that age.

MerylStreep Tue 18-May-21 07:45:49

For those of you referring to bad teachers: I was the child who was hit round the head that my glasses went flying, rapped down the back of my head with his knuckles. He was eventually sent to prison for serious assault on a child.
So don’t think for one moment I’m defending that attitude ?
You all know what we are referring to so don’t drag up attitudes that have no reference in this day and age.

FannyCornforth Tue 18-May-21 07:54:46

Lucca

It says ironic humour. Did I miss something ? What “humour”?

Is the use of the word 'humour' ironic; or the use of the word 'ironic' humorous, maybe? ?

Lucca Tue 18-May-21 07:56:44

What are you referring to ?

Also, your comment to amber “I think you’ll find that the tide is turning against people like you. Very slowly, I’ll admit, but it’s happening.
Look at what’s happening with your beloved cancel culture”

I didn’t understand to what that rather personal sounding comment referred ?

Lucca Tue 18-May-21 07:57:40

My post was to meryl streep by the way.

Galaxy Tue 18-May-21 08:00:16

The poem implies that there was some golden age in particular with relation to children some of us are pointing out that that wasnt the case .

Lucca Tue 18-May-21 08:02:37

It was a poem ??? ?

Parsley3 Tue 18-May-21 10:09:32

You are posting a very dismal and simplistic view of the world, Maywalk. Try to find something to be positive about and you will see that the demise of common sense is much exaggerated.

FannyCornforth Tue 18-May-21 10:21:11

Parsley it seems that May likes to post stuff on here that she has seen on her Facebook feed.

It seems that a lot of people like this sort of thing.

I'm not one of them; I prefer to read the authentic thoughts and opinions of people, regardless of whether or not I agree with them, or indeed 'like' them.