Gransnet forums

Chat

Lazy days

(52 Posts)
Dryginger Thu 10-Jun-21 14:58:39

Does anybody have days when they really dont want to do anything?
I retired in Jan but my DH is 8 years younger than me and still works.
I get up at 4am and get ready for him to go to work, i have always been an early riser I tidy the house do washing and shopping and he cooks when he gets in. He loves cooking and says he helps him unwind.
Im really happy not working but some days I dont do a thing and cant be bothered then I feel guilty. Its this just me ?

Chewbacca Thu 10-Jun-21 15:06:20

Nope Dryginger it's not just you. I retired at the end of March after working full time for 49 years and, in the first month, I redecorated, properly cleaned the house, sorted my neglected garden out, sorted my wardrobes out and generally did all the things I'd been meaning to do for years. The second month I started some craft projects and worked on them all the time. The third month I can barely shift my backside off this sofa. I actually have to bargain with myself as to how long I'll be inert for before I actually do anything productive. And on the days when I really have to do something or go somewhere, I'm exhausted for days afterwards. I'm hoping my mojo will come back at some point but can't be bothered going looking for it.

Dryginger Thu 10-Jun-21 15:23:47

Yes I feel exhausted too.

sodapop Thu 10-Jun-21 16:07:33

I would be exhausted too Dryginger getting up at 4am. You are retired now no need to get up so early. I'm sure your husband can get himself off to work.
Nothing wrong with having lazy days, enjoy some time just smelling the roses now.

Callistemon Thu 10-Jun-21 17:06:13

My DH used to get up very early to go to work and I realised that if I got up at the same time, I just got in his way and upset his routine. I used to get up at 6.45 am after he left (he'd bring me a brew before he left.
He still gets up early but I don't, I'm not human until about 8 am and a brew

I am not a morning person.

Mattsmum2 Thu 10-Jun-21 17:15:50

I’ve been ‘retired ‘ for about 4 years but still only 55. Sometimes can’t even say where the time goes, after a leisurely walk with the dog, tv and a bit of studying (not sure why I’m doing a qualification but there you go!), sometimes make the bed, bit of candy crush, check this site. Then it’s time to feed the dog, may empty the dishwasher, but who knows. I think I like the idea of being quite lazy! I worked for 35 yrs in financial services so want to relax now.
Nothing wrong with doing nothing, but moving is very good for our long term mobility. ?

PinkCakes Thu 10-Jun-21 18:27:17

4am? That's the middle of the night. I'm not working at the moment (62, so 4yrs until I get a pension), and apart from supporting my disabled brother and his wife who's got Alzheimer's, 3 days a week, I don't do a lot. I feel guilty because my husband works full-time. He tells me not to worry.

Kim19 Thu 10-Jun-21 18:37:01

I quite often do very little in the course of a day but I do try for one teeny weeny little achievement just to give me a pathetic sense of the feel good factor. It works for me. Sad really as I've no reason to feel compelled. Maybe my lovely Mum's words on laziness are lurking somewhere. If that's so, she will be pleased!

Dryginger Thu 10-Jun-21 18:49:38

I get up at 4 because I always have, get my DH lunch and flask ready then the rest of the day is mine. Even if I lounge around i cant nap im so use to it but some days I just cant get motivated.

Redhead56 Thu 10-Jun-21 18:56:12

I helped with my GDs for over two years twelve hour days. I worked part time on our business we retired two years ago. I also stopped child care now I get up when I want. I make little fairy gardens as a craft and have done a lot of on line courses and continue to do so. However since the start of COVID I lost interest in anything physical apart from gardening. No you are not on your own it’s quite common don’t feel guilty.

SueDonim Thu 10-Jun-21 22:25:59

The world won’t stop turning because you’ve decided to have some lazy days! grin

My dentist was admiring my pristine two-week old nail polish today. I informed her it was easy to keep your nails in tip-top condition when you don’t do anything. wink

Enjoy your quiet time! smile

Polarbear2 Thu 10-Jun-21 22:37:09

I occasionally feel guilty then I remember I worked from being 14 years old so I’ve done my bit.

Dryginger Fri 11-Jun-21 07:09:32

Yes I was 14 and a half when I started work and stopped at 66 so yes I think I do deserve to be lazy sometimes. I think the guilt is because DH still works and Im just swanning around. I need to decorate my bed room which needs paper stripping I might start on that and give myself a big kick up the backside.?

Polarbear2 Fri 11-Jun-21 08:47:42

Ah it’ll come. It’s summer. We’ve been shut in for months. Relax and enjoy ?

Polarbear2 Fri 11-Jun-21 10:11:36

Thinking further. Actually enjoy it while he’s still working. Once he’s stopped you won’t be able to sit down without somebody (!) looking at you and asking if you’ve nothing to do! ???

Blossoming Fri 11-Jun-21 11:01:24

I think we need input from Urmstongran here, as she is an expert on how to be a #lazygran.

I am hoping she will publish a book, “Lazygran For Dummies* or “Lazygran 101” perhaps?

Dryginger Fri 11-Jun-21 11:03:44

Polarbear you made me laugh when you said about sitting there looking at me I can just picture DH looking all goggle eyed at me Nightmare!???

Witzend Fri 11-Jun-21 11:30:27

Yes, often! At least in the sense of going out or doing anything virtuously and busily useful, like housework or ironing. (Not that I do much of that any more anyway.)

Preferred ‘activity’ is often slobbing on the sofa (or on a sun lounger in the garden lately) with a book, or knitting, but that does at least have an end product eventually.

Peff68 Sun 13-Jun-21 10:46:59

This is my lazy day (Sunday) I catch up on gransnet! You do all make me laugh ? nothing wrong with a little laziness.

Why do we feel guilty about it though, bonkers really!

BigBertha1 Sun 13-Jun-21 10:53:21

I have three SIL's who do absolutely nothing all day every . they dont cook - there husbands do it, they dont craft, they dont go for walks- nothing. They are all perfectly happy and cannot understand my 'mania' for keeping busy. Low boredom threshold I think.

BigBertha1 Sun 13-Jun-21 10:53:50

sorry about the 'there' - should be 'their' of course.

handbaghoarder Sun 13-Jun-21 11:11:22

Oh my. I’m so glad to read these comments. Wow do they resonate with me. I’ve been retired 4 years and think I do less and less as time goes by. Hate being so “ lazy” when there’s loads I could be doing. Just CBA. I’ve totally lost my motivation. And found an extra stone in weight! . Where was that little @@@@@@ lurking?? Best go and sit in garden and think about it ( If I can stay awake long enough)

Quizzer Sun 13-Jun-21 11:25:13

Not just you Dryginger. I have got doing nothing down to a fine art!

Grammajules Sun 13-Jun-21 11:40:22

Can totally go with this.
Retired after 20 yrs as a nurse, then moved to the country. All good with projects in the house and garden. Now ten years later and 64 I can’t find motivation to do stuff after looking after my father who recently passed away.
I find I buy all the self help books and keep fit stuff because it makes me feel I will get rid of the stone I have put on, but still lack the motivation to get off the sofa and use it.
Love the lack of stress now, which I had caring for my dad, but the guilt of enjoying a lay back life is terrible, even if I sit down for an hour or so before 7pm. I feel I shouldn’t. Why is it so hard?

sazz1 Sun 13-Jun-21 12:00:27

I try to do something productive every day such as clean bathroom, do the ironing, sort a drawer or cupboard etc but don't always succeed. I spent far too much time on my phone playing games or reading articles. Must try harder lol