Gransnet forums

Chat

Not dipping into Royal Purse

(78 Posts)
Newatthis Wed 16-Jun-21 14:19:28

Perhaps our minor Royals and our two young princesses (Eugene and Beatrice for example) could take a page or two out of this young princesses's book.

abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/dutch-princess-accept-payment-turns-18-78222140

Alegrias1 Wed 16-Jun-21 14:23:24

“I find it uncomfortable as long as I can offer little in return and other students have it so much more difficult, especially in these uncertain corona times,” the princess wrote.

God love her. flowers

merlotgran Wed 16-Jun-21 14:38:26

I don’t think Beatrice and Eugenie receive any money from the Sovereign Grant.

Alegrias1 Wed 16-Jun-21 14:45:05

Prince Andrew’s children Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie are not working royals either, and were taken off the Sovereign Grant list when they graduated university in 2011 and 2012 respectively.

They did when they were students though.

www.express.co.uk/news/royal/1166642/royal-news-revealed-royal-family-public-funding-queen-elizabeth-ii-meghan-markle-spt

maddyone Wed 16-Jun-21 14:52:28

It’s too late to do anything a about any monies the princesses did receive, but like others, I understand they don’t receive any money now. I think that goes for all the minor royals, but am happy to be corrected if anyone knows any different.
I wonder what Prince Andrew lives on now. Prince Charles has the Duchy, Princess Anne makes a living through farming and her equestrian centre, and Edward supports the Queen by doing royal duties and so gets some support for that. But Andrew?

sodapop Wed 16-Jun-21 15:21:29

Maybe he gets an allowance for keeping out of the way maddyone

Alegrias1 Wed 16-Jun-21 15:23:14

They probably all manage to rub along OK on the family's estimated £62 billion fortune.

Grany Wed 16-Jun-21 15:23:24

The practice of paying sums to the monarch relatives only started when the present queen came to the throne in 1952.

As well as the sovereign Grant that is heading to 100 million a year meanwhile the household report for 2017/2018 a surplus of £28.7 for that year alone.

This is far from only cost to the public purse attributed to Royals. Add security even for minor Royals ect ect.

On top of that are incomes from the two Duchies pocketed by queen and Charles Only seem to have escaped the 1760 deal on crown estates because at the time they were insignificant.

In 2019 the crown estates who own the right to seabeds around Britain announced an auction for the biggest off shore wind power development in the world This will provide a bumper windfall of hundreds of millions for the queen from her from her 25% share of the crown estates profits., a vast sum that before George Osbourne disastrous intervention would have gone back to the treasury.

Grany Wed 16-Jun-21 15:26:17

Edward got an increase from £20,000 to £100,000

trisher Wed 16-Jun-21 15:33:15

In 2019 the crown estates who own the right to seabeds around Britain announced an auction for the biggest off shore wind power development in the world This will provide a bumper windfall of hundreds of millions for the queen from her from her 25% share of the crown estates profits., a vast sum that before George Osbourne disastrous intervention would have gone back to the treasury.
He said, All this land is my master's,
At that I stood shaking my head
No man has a right to own mountains
Any more than the deep ocean bed.
The Manchester Rambler- Ewan McColl
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YENYMwuCG2Y
Unbelievably they can own the seabed!
How much more cash do you think they need?

Elegran Wed 16-Jun-21 15:38:13

"The Crown Estate is a collection of lands and holdings in the territories of England, Wales and Northern Ireland within the United Kingdom belonging to the British monarch as a corporation sole, making it "the sovereign's public estate", which is neither government property nor part of the monarch's private estate."
"The revenues from these hereditary possessions have been placed by the monarch at the disposition of Her Majesty's Government in exchange for relief from the responsibility to fund the Civil Government"
"Historically, Crown Estate properties were administered by the reigning monarch to help fund the business of governing the country. However, in 1760, George III surrendered control over the Estate's revenues to the Treasury,[5] thus relieving him of the responsibility of paying for the costs of the civil service, defence costs, the national debt, and his own personal debts. In return, he received an annual grant known as the Civil List. By tradition, each subsequent monarch agreed to this arrangement upon his or her accession. However, from 1 April 2012, under the terms of the Sovereign Grant Act 2011 (SSG), the Civil List was abolished and the monarch was thenceforth provided with a stable source of revenue indexed to a percentage of the Crown Estate's annual net income (currently set at 25%)"

As the crown estates were originally in the private and total ownership of the sovereign, getting three-quarters of the income from them is a pretty good deal for the country.

Perhaps you would like to revert to the previous arrangement, where all of it went to the monarch who then paid personally for the running of the state, and raised whatever taxes they wished as a one-off whenever the expenses were more than the income, or when they decided to go to war with another country? You would then have to bear in mind, of course, that he/she who pays the piper calls the tune.

NotSpaghetti Wed 16-Jun-21 15:47:50

I'm another who thinks they don't get money from the royal purse.
I know they don't qualify for security as they aren't "working royals".

They do both have £ from their father I expect. Both have jobs and wealthy husbands.

Alegrias1 Wed 16-Jun-21 15:50:40

* False dichotomy warning *

I'd quite like them to live off their many billions without wanting any more.....

And to have the self awareness of that Dutch Princess who realised that she didn't need that money and has probably given the Dutch Royal Family a boost in the ratings.

Alegrias1 Wed 16-Jun-21 15:53:17

I'm actually a bit mystified that people are discussing how members of the Windsor family make ends meet.

They are mind bogglingly rich.

NotSpaghetti Wed 16-Jun-21 16:50:19

Exactly Alegrias.
And so are the 2 families these women have married into.

M0nica Wed 16-Jun-21 17:02:57

I doubt that our 2 princesses grant was anything like that offered to the Dutch princess Euros 1 million plus, I believe.

trisher Wed 16-Jun-21 17:03:09

Amazing isn't it! Most students come out with substantial debt after their degree, Beatrice and Eugenie were funded not only for their studies but for the considerable security presence they apparently needed. And the family is so rich!

trisher Wed 16-Jun-21 17:09:40

Eugenie's security bill was estimated at over £250, 000 per year while she was at university.

NotSpaghetti Wed 16-Jun-21 17:22:18

It’s 1.6 million euros a year Monica

maddyone Wed 16-Jun-21 18:21:42

They are mind bogglingly rich.

Indeed they are. Such a contrast between them and the poorest in our society.

Grany Fri 18-Jun-21 09:09:46

maddyone

^They are mind bogglingly rich.^

Indeed they are. Such a contrast between them and the poorest in our society.

Will people want rid of monarchy especially when Charles a lobbyist becomes king. With queen's consent she too has a say in laws. They should be above politics but are clearly not. Shouldn't be allowed in 21st century it's feudal If polititions did this it would be thought criminal.

The reason polititions don't clamp down on RF is because the monarchy gives government too much power to do as they like with no checks or balances in place.

The queen has no role to play she is pointless and powerless she can only do as PM asks her. She chooses not to work for the constitution even though has all the power and privilege that goes with her role as HoS

In the film of her and her family she has banned you can see they do not work and have an easy luxurious life. She was discussing with her maid a designer can make a necklace with a precious diamond for this dress or whatever it was.

This expensive family freely spending public money every day without any consideration for anyone else.

trisher Fri 18-Jun-21 09:56:56

Elegran

^"The Crown Estate is a collection of lands and holdings in the territories of England, Wales and Northern Ireland within the United Kingdom belonging to the British monarch as a corporation sole, making it "the sovereign's public estate", which is neither government property nor part of the monarch's private estate."^
"The revenues from these hereditary possessions have been placed by the monarch at the disposition of Her Majesty's Government in exchange for relief from the responsibility to fund the Civil Government"
"Historically, Crown Estate properties were administered by the reigning monarch to help fund the business of governing the country. However, in 1760, George III surrendered control over the Estate's revenues to the Treasury,[5] thus relieving him of the responsibility of paying for the costs of the civil service, defence costs, the national debt, and his own personal debts. In return, he received an annual grant known as the Civil List. By tradition, each subsequent monarch agreed to this arrangement upon his or her accession. However, from 1 April 2012, under the terms of the Sovereign Grant Act 2011 (SSG), the Civil List was abolished and the monarch was thenceforth provided with a stable source of revenue indexed to a percentage of the Crown Estate's annual net income (currently set at 25%)"

As the crown estates were originally in the private and total ownership of the sovereign, getting three-quarters of the income from them is a pretty good deal for the country.

Perhaps you would like to revert to the previous arrangement, where all of it went to the monarch who then paid personally for the running of the state, and raised whatever taxes they wished as a one-off whenever the expenses were more than the income, or when they decided to go to war with another country? You would then have to bear in mind, of course, that he/she who pays the piper calls the tune.

How much of those estates would still remain in their hands if they had had to pay income tax, capital gains tax and inheritance tax on them? And how much would those taxes have brought in for the government do you suppose? They didn't agree to these things for our benefit.

Alegrias1 Fri 18-Jun-21 10:00:27

Perhaps they should take a leaf from this woman's book?

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/jeff-bezos-mackenzie-scott-amazon-b1866409.html

Alegrias1 Fri 18-Jun-21 10:02:17

Oh wait - they probably have but they are just too classy to talk about it hmm

Callistemon Fri 18-Jun-21 10:05:11

Alegrias1

Perhaps they should take a leaf from this woman's book?

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/jeff-bezos-mackenzie-scott-amazon-b1866409.html

Alegrias
I do like this woman (no, I don't know her!)

I remember when she got a large divorce settlement and I believe he had fought it because he knew she wanted to give it to charity.
Good for her.