Gransnet forums

Chat

Euros

(30 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Sat 19-Jun-21 21:24:57

Just found out the Euros are on until 11th July! Can't bear much more of this! Mr Rebel has watched three matches today no less! I don't mind when it's the home teams, but why does he have to watch countries that have nothing to do with us as well? I know it only comes around every four years and I'm trying to be understanding as he's a real footie fan, but it's driving me crazy! I could go upstairs and watch the other TV, but there's nothing on worth watching. Anyone else feeling my pain? smile

BlueSky Sat 19-Jun-21 21:32:57

Sorry but I am with your DH on this. Not sure why as I’m not really a football fan, but when it comes to the Euros and World Cup I enjoy watching any match! Also so nice to feel we are going back to some normality after last year when everything was cancelled!

Kali2 Sat 19-Jun-21 21:33:36

Oh I so agree- feel your pain totally.

I am lucky to have plenty of space to get away from TV- mainly in the garden. I just walk away.

Westcoaster Sat 19-Jun-21 21:36:47

Having lost my football mad DH a few months ago, I'd give anything to be in the huff over yet another game being watched.
My escape was up to the loft room for some card-making.

Pittcity Sat 19-Jun-21 21:39:29

There are less matches after today and the tennis is on, so I'm fine.
I put what I want to watch on my iPad and headphones go on.

annodomini Sat 19-Jun-21 21:57:08

I've been having a football-free evening with the final of the BBC Cardiff Singer of the Year. Beautiful music from superb young singers.

ginny Sat 19-Jun-21 22:01:23

Football , tennis, horse racing etc. Can’t stand any of them.
I go off and do something more interesting.

CanadianGran Sat 19-Jun-21 22:03:53

We have a confluence of hockey and baseball seasons here. The TV is always on sports in the background. DH even has an old small TV in the outside shed so he can listen while he gardens.

I feel your pain. Every once in a while I just need a documentary about birds in the jungle.

JenniferEccles Sat 19-Jun-21 22:23:43

Thankfully there will be fewer matches soon when the knockout stage starts.
It’s dominated the main channels hasn’t it?
I love watching tennis but that’s mainly confined to the afternoons and only on one tv channel.

Shelflife Sat 19-Jun-21 22:37:22

My DH is not interested in football , me neither but I respect those who love it. I also have watched BBC Cardiff singer of the World this evening. What an amazing night at the opera! I am no opera buff , but I defy anyone not to appreciate the magic of tonight's viewing. Such amazing and beautiful singing with a wonderful orchestra. So uplifting!

Callistemon Sat 19-Jun-21 22:51:55

I went somewhere else this afternoon because DH started watching football and I did some craft only to find he had turned over to the tennis because it was more exciting.
I'd have stayed and watched the tennis!

Callistemon Sat 19-Jun-21 22:53:27

Every once in a while I just need a documentary about birds in the jungle.
There was a repeat of a David Attenborough programme about Tasmania on in the early evening.
Lovely.

Maggiemaybe Sat 19-Jun-21 23:32:37

You’ve said it yourself though, grannyrebel. it only comes around every four years

I’m lucky though. My DH loves football and rugby, but at least he’s not into golf, Formula 1, snooker or horse racing. Neither of us is bothered about tennis and we both enjoy the Olympics. So for me it’s only the football tournaments when I’m a sports widow. I just catch up with my reading or spend more time on improving pursuits such as online shopping and Gransnet.

Kim19 Sun 20-Jun-21 03:58:54

It will calm down dramatically once these initial rounds have been played and we move into eliminations.

JackyB Sun 20-Jun-21 05:40:24

It comes round every 4 years but so does the World Cup on the years in between.

I'm glad of a bit of time to potter while DH is glued to the footie. ⚽

Liz46 Sun 20-Jun-21 07:04:14

I've told one of my stepdaughters that I may poison her dad's food if he watches another football match. Neither of them seem to think I am serious!

Lin52 Sun 20-Jun-21 07:59:25

Out of curiosity, not a football fan on the whole, but gave in yesterday, to watch the Germany/Portugal game. What a match, was rooting for Germany as have family there, no posturing or political gestures, just football, great game. Deserving winners.

Kim19 Sun 20-Jun-21 08:02:08

Yes I enjoyed it too, Lin.

kittylester Sun 20-Jun-21 08:07:59

Oh, we have had Cricket too!!!

Never mind, it will be the Olympics before you know it and the is a lot of cycling on!!

Jaxjacky Sun 20-Jun-21 08:22:11

Fortunately we’re both avid football supporters, so we’ve been watching most games, DH catches up on the golf late evening and we have a Grand Prix today. So, I realise it doesn’t suit all, but we’re loving the football, we pay to watch it the rest of the year, having it on terrestrial channels makes a change.
It’ll be over soon.

Maggiemaybe Sun 20-Jun-21 08:36:11

Lin52

Out of curiosity, not a football fan on the whole, but gave in yesterday, to watch the Germany/Portugal game. What a match, was rooting for Germany as have family there, no posturing or political gestures, just football, great game. Deserving winners.

I felt sorry for the Portuguese fans though. Two own goals!

infoman Sun 20-Jun-21 16:21:25

When I saw the posting title,I thought there had been a run on the Euro.

Mattsmum2 Sun 20-Jun-21 16:32:41

There is so much more you can see and hear if you're not in to football. BBC Sounds is a good app with lots to hear. Then other streaming services, get them on your other TV.
I quite like watching the football and as some have said it says we are getting back to some normality. Looking forward to Wimbledon when it starts and have watch Queens.

blue25 Sun 20-Jun-21 17:24:12

I love watching the football. We’re watching as much as we can here. Either get into the spirit or go & do something else!

Charleygirl5 Sun 20-Jun-21 17:52:36

I am really looking forward to Tuesday because both England and Scotland are playing- I am just not sure who the opposing teams are yet.

Wimbledon and the Olympics- fabulous.