Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Sunday

(49 Posts)
Michael12 Sun 20-Jun-21 06:10:14

Good Morning Everyone,
its cloudy and wet outside here in Brackley this morning.
Today , will be a nice quiet day in with TV , will be watching cycling form Spain, and France more or less from lunchtime .
Yesterdays trip out somewhat changed route slightly , I got yo Buckingham to find when on X5 we had a long detour ,as a former rail line bridge is in the process of being demolished , to make way for a new bridge which will be part of HS2 or as I have started to call it the Boris Line.
Take care,
Mick

Ashcombe Sun 20-Jun-21 06:14:15

Good morning to Mick and everyone else from a foggy Torbay!!

Cornwall is reporting a 2,000% increase in Covid cases in the G7 areas (St. Ives, Carbis Bay, etc) and this particular variant is a super spreader. Some businesses have been forced to close down as a result. A very worrying situation.

Yesterday, as it was rather an unprepossessing morning, I decided to visit Torquay Museum. I duly booked a slot online which offered a 50% reduction if I brought proof of being a local resident. My entry ticket entitles me to multiple return visits for 12 months which is pleasing! Currently, the museum is celebrating 175 years since it was founded, by displaying artefacts chosen from its stores by local folk.

As it was very quiet, I enjoyed a slow browse of the galleries, particularly enjoying the one dedicated to Agatha Christie and the recreated kitchen of a 19th century Devonshire cottage. The disappointingly dull weather caused me to return home soon afterwards.

After church, I plan to take my friend who’s had knee surgery on her second foray into Sainsbury’s, which was surprisingly quiet at that time two weeks ago.

Have a blessed Sunday, everyone! ✝️⛪️?

grandMattie Sun 20-Jun-21 06:18:29

Good morning from a grey dry E Kent. Pouring rain woke me up at 0330, but it has stopped and cleared a bit now. No rain until tomorrow.
A photo of peonies bought n Thursday at the market. The scent is lovely. Most scents make me feel sick, this one doesn’t.
Apart from virtual church this morning, I’ve nothing planned today.
We did a little weeding yesterday. The ground was too wet really, but we got rid of some of the forest of poppies. Goodness knows why there is such a profusion. To my great pleasure, I found a load of self seeded Verbena bonariensis. They should be lovely when they flower.
I hope today is kind to everyone, that the GraMmingos manage to catch a passing smile ?, flamingo ? or anything else that gives them pleasure/relief. ???☀️?

monk08 Sun 20-Jun-21 06:29:41

Good morning all from the Black country, weather yuk to be expected DH has a fishing contest ?. Since starting back fishing after 2 year break because of health problems every contest has featured rain and wind. Due the fact he is the club secretary and organiser he needs to be there.
Enjoyable day yesterday with the DGSs they really are a delight.
Roast lamb for dinner my favourite.
Enjoy your Sunday and may you all find some ?.

Dwmxwg Sun 20-Jun-21 06:38:03

Good morning from a dull north Surrey.
Beautiful peonies GrandMattie, we have lots of peonies in our garden, my favourite is a white tree peony, the blooms didn’t last long this year unfortunately.
Work is busy and I am back on a late again today. Feeling a bit washed out, think I can feel another pyjama day beckoning ?
Some fresh air will do me good this morning.
We tried out a new recipe last night, beetroot and celeriac salad, not sure why it’s called salad as veg roasted and served with quinoa, a Davina low sugar meal. Was ok, but don’t think we will rush to make again. Will have to explore other recipes using pomegranate molasses which was bought for the recipe.
Lovely to hear of all the family meet ups for posters, all the more special after months of separation.
Wishing all a good day

cornergran Sun 20-Jun-21 06:50:11

Morning Mick, morning All from a grey corner of Somerset. The puddles indicate overnight rain much needed by the garden. Dry at the moment, not forecast to last.

Yesterday felt really chilly. We drifted to a garden centre for coffee and cake, returned via town to return a t-shirt that proved not to be the same shape as I am and buy some birthday cards. The afternoon was spent reading, the evening watching a film courtesy of Amazon. It all felt very lazy. More coffee and cake this morning with our daughter in law and our granddaughters, roast beef later at Mr C’s request.

Your life is more than busy dwmxwg, relax while you can. Agree, ashcombe, the rise in covid in the G7 area is worrying. Our local museum is free to enter, you’ve reminded me it’s time we paid it a visit.

Wishing you all the best Sunday it can be. Hope the day is kind to us all.

Beechnut Sun 20-Jun-21 07:11:08

Good Morning everyone from a wet and cloudy Severnside.

I did my shoe cobbling yesterday and some FaceTime chat. I then sorted out some admin for an errand I am going to do tomorrow. In the evening I channel hopped and iPadded at the same time for while.

I don’t like the sound of the G7 Cornwall news Ash.

No plans for today so I think I’ll just take it as it comes and hope you all enjoy your Sunday ?

Gelisajams Sun 20-Jun-21 07:17:31

Good morning from Great Yarmouth where it’s still grey and drizzly after heavy rain bouncing on the campa roof woke me up several times during the night.
Yesterday cruising the Broads turned out to be quite pleasant and in the afternoon we walked into Great Yarmouth. We ended up walking over 10 miles as we missed the last bus back. We didn’t realise they stopped at 6pm.
That will teach us to check and not presume!
Today we are heading back to Melton Mowbray en route home. We will stay at the lovely little camp site we stayed at last week, and if it turns dry call into Barnsdale gardens again. Hopefully the roses will all be out with the heat and rain of the last week.
It always surprises me when I visit museums and they have these displays of old kitchens and house set ups, how much of what’s in there is familiar. I often say I feel like a museum piece these days!
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

Pittcity Sun 20-Jun-21 07:21:16

Good morning from a grey but still dry Colchester.
Nothing planned for Father's Day except roast beef with a nice glass of red.
I'll get the ironing done and then watch the tennis and football...both featuring home nations.
Love to all x

Sar53 Sun 20-Jun-21 07:32:30

Good morning from Essex by the sea. We have had heavy rain during the night, grey and damp now.
It's DD1's 45th birthday today and my 68th tomorrow. I will ring her later, I believe that are having a BBQ with friends.
DH is going to rugby this morning with his grandson and then we are seeing his eldest daughter. A joint Fathers Day and my birthday celebration. I'm sure there will be cake.
Apart from watching lots of football yesterday we cut out 8 curtains that DH 'volunteered' me to make for his friends boat. 'S' has a sewing machine he said, she won't mind making them, I have told him not to volunteer me for anything else ???.
Have a pleasant Sunday everyone and find a ? xx

harrigran Sun 20-Jun-21 07:40:24

Good morning from an overcast NE.
It was quite windy yesterday but we haven't had any rain.
Family are going to visit this afternoon, it is lovely to see the GDs again and talk face to face.
It is worrying about the increase of covid in Cornwall, we really don't need a rise in infection rates, so bad for businesses.
The peonies are beautiful grandMattie, they were my mum's favourite flowers and always had a lovely display in her garden. When we sold her house the new owners bulldozed the garden and made hard standing for their cars.
Have a good day everyone.

Scentia Sun 20-Jun-21 07:43:12

Good Morning all from a very wet Staithes. What a beautiful little fishing village this is. We are having the best time here in Yorkshire and my time in Whitby yesterday was beautiful. DH ran 25 miles of the Cleveland Way whilst I enjoyed Whitby and even found a Vegan Ice Cream parlour!! I walked 10 miles myself when I checked my Fitbit, no wonder I was shattered. We then drove to Staithes to get to our overnight stay and I have fallen in love with this place.
Off for breakfast now, enjoy your Sunday and take care❤️

Ashcombe Sun 20-Jun-21 07:55:12

Beautiful peonies, grandMattie and Staithes looks so tranquil, Scentia.! Thank you for sharing your photos.

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 20-Jun-21 07:56:26

Good morning all from cloudy Harrogate
My DSis is now here, on Friday we all went to Pateley Bridge, a pretty small town, had a delicious lunch at the Pancake House and bought Sherbet Fountains from England’s oldest sweet shop!
Yesterday we took a trip to the lovely market town of Otley in the morning and Ilkley in the afternoon to meet our cousin, who I haven’t seen since her son’s funeral in February last year.
We had taken the bus there because parking would be difficult. We ended up waiting for the last bus to Harrogate. We waited and waited, til my cousin texted us to say there had been a bus crash near where she lived. All other buses where late arriving, we eventually got a bus back to Otley then got a taxi home from Otley -Oh what a day!!
Today we will quietly potter around see my DDs and pack for Tomorrow’s journey to Melrose
Hope you all have a great day today!

brook2704 Sun 20-Jun-21 07:57:23

Good morning everyone from Cambridge where it’s grey clouds and looks like it’s been raining.
We had a lovely day yesterday despite the weather. We went to the IWM Duxford which isn’t far from here and had a really good look round all the exhibits of different sorts of airplanes and big tanks. Really good for small boys into adventure! There was also an impressive aerial display of acrobatics using large model aircraft which they also liked watching.
Today we’re out somewhere to be decided later
Lovely photo scentia and well done with all that walking
Hoping everyone finds something to enjoy today and those enjoying holidays continue to have a lovely time. Take care all whatever the day brings ?

ginny Sun 20-Jun-21 07:57:49

Good morning from N. Bucks. Dull but no rain at the moment.
DH is going for Father’s Day brunch with DD1 and DD3. DD2 is not able to go as she is having to isolate due to a colleague testing positive. So far DD is fine , if rather fed up.
Nothing much planned due to the weather. Hopefully I might get into the garden for a bit of weeding and tidying.
Have a good Sunday and hoping you all find a smile along the way.

Jaxjacky Sun 20-Jun-21 07:58:32

Good morning Mick and all from a soggy S Hants. Our family BBQ yesterday afternoon went well, both DD and DS went home with doggy bags and it stayed dry.it was lovely to meet DS’s girlfriend properly, he txt in the evening to say thank you and that this is the girl he will marry, quite a surprise.
No set plans today, hopefully allotment later to get some plants in, it will be sodden.
Sar enjoy your celebrations today for birthdays and Father’s Day.
gM I dropped hints to DH for a bunch of peonies yesterday as our local florist has them in, he registered about 6, by which time they were shut! I’ll check tomorrow.
Have a lovely Sunday all. News from grandmajet would be good and cherry, Auntieflo, sheep EV, hope you’re all not too bad x ??

Alygran Sun 20-Jun-21 07:58:57

Good morning from South London.
Had a lovely day yesterday walking along the south bank and shopping and lunching in Borough Market. Quite a difference to my quiet North Yorkshire existence!
Love the pic of Whitby! I’ve sat on that bench many times. Did you climb up to the abbey Scientia? Hope you counted the steps!
Have a good day everyone

Marydoll Sun 20-Jun-21 08:08:55

Good morning all from a damp Glasgow, where it's currently 12°C, with showers forecast.

Nothing to really to report, apart from waking up to a mystery. I have bloodstained pillow and absolutely no idea, what has been bleeding! ?‍♀️ That's the problem being on blood thinners, the least cut can be problematic. Mr MDoll has had a look, but no clues so far. ? I'm still here, so it can't be serious! grin

Despite it being Father's Day, he has brought me a cuppa in bed with some pain relief, as everything seems to have flared up this week. He isn't such a bad soul after all. ?

Nothing planned for today, I have been really under the weather for the past few days, so I gave in and basically did little yesterday, just footered, apart from trying to put together the new steam mop I ordered.

Usually, I can put together a PC, get all the cables connected and have it up in running in no time with my eyes shut, yet after an hour, I still hadn’t got the blasted steamer working! When I did eventually fathom it out, I had to enlist the help of DH, as my hands were to weak to tighten bits up! I think the problem may be that I have a man’s brain, I never bother with instructions! Well it usually works out, but not on this occasion! ?
I have to own up, as my mother would have said, I am a dirty besom. My floors looked clean before we started, (DH mopped, under my supervision), but I can assure you, the mop pad told a completely different story! blush

GM I love peony roses, we had them in the garden when we lived in Troon, but have never been able to successfully grow them here.
As for poppies, we saw some lovely, informal gardens on our recent visit to Pitlochry, which I want to try and emulate. Poppies were in abundance, they seemed to grow really well. It's impossible to try here at the moment, as the garden is full of timber and basically chaotic, (which is seriously irritating me!) due to the forthcoming decking construction.
However, there is one poppy growing up through the wood, which I never planted. I think the seed may have come from next door, as they have a few.

Gelisajams, you must be pretty fit, a walk that distance would have landed me in A&E! It would have been nothing to me, not so long ago, but nowadays......
Dwmxwg, you remind me of my former self, always busy, never resting! However, you must look after yourself, pamper yourself today and take it easy.

It's lovely just to read everyone's comings and goings. I hope you all have a pleasant Sunday. I forgot to sign MrMDoll's Father's Day card from me. He will think I'm ill, it's slightly soppy! It's all I could get with my restricted shopping forays! ?

Sending hugs to all, who are in need. Short of writing notes, as I get muddled, I can't recal, who has done what, by the time I get to the end, (the thread is becoming so popular),so a general hug for all! The Kitcheners are very good at remembering, so I shall leave that skill to them!
However, I just want to say to Blossoming, I was so glad to read your procedure went well. You must be so relieved. ?

Happy Sunday to all!

Lins1066 Sun 20-Jun-21 08:13:23

Good morning from a cloudy S Welsh coast, heavy rain last evening.
Lovely pic of Whitby Scentia we went there many years ago.
One of ours is visiting later, we are having roast pork and I've made lemon posset for dessert. A short walk and we will watch the Wales game later, that's my day done.
Have a peaceful Sunday and thinking of all those with illness and worry.

dragonfly46 Sun 20-Jun-21 08:14:33

Good morning from a dank Leicestershire.

Managed to plant my Nerine bulbs yesterday and do Pilates exercises but stiff today.
May walk with a friend today if the rain holds off then roast beef for dinner - DH’s favourite.

We have a lovely museum Ashcombe I must remember to visit again.
I love Barnstable Gardens, we passed it on our trip on Wednesday. It is good you don’t have to book.

dragonfly46 Sun 20-Jun-21 08:17:44

We have several peony bushes but they have been beaten down by the rain so I picked some for the house!

baubles Sun 20-Jun-21 08:18:56

Good morning Mick, morning all from South Lanarkshire. It’s rather overcast at the moment.

So good to hear about everyone’s holiday and outings, beautiful photos too.

I baked fruit loaf and lemon drizzle yesterday as well as cupcakes thinking that DD may just pop over today to see he Dad. She’s just texted to say she’ll be here, so I’ll give her most of it to take home.

I was hoping my yarn would arrive yesterday but by late afternoon there was no sign so I checked the DPD app and discovered that it had been delivered to the garage the day before but neither DH nor I had noticed. So observant!

Wishing everyone a peaceful Sunday.

Kim19 Sun 20-Jun-21 08:22:04

Thanks for all the lovely, cosy and happy pictures you all paint of your goings-on yesterday. Warms the cockles of my heart as I lie here up North pondering my day. One little session will complete my marathon kitchen job and then I may potter in the garden if the clouds don't release their content. Food will be my usual very healthy breakfast followed later by whatever I can rustle up of 'need to use up' or surprise fridge finds. Just as well bf is healthy!!

Greyduster Sun 20-Jun-21 08:22:17

Good morning, Michael and all GNs. Cloudy and damp in South Yorkshire. We took advantage of a dry day to have a local walk yesterday but today looks like being an “in” day. DD and her menfolk are coming over for a late lunch. Roast beef for a change and an apple and blackberry pie.
Lovely picture of Whitby, *Scentia” - one of our favourite places. A trip up the river is worthwhile. Staithes is a gem too, but oh, that hill! Have a happy Sunday folks!