Gransnet forums

Chat

Fathers Day

(19 Posts)
ninathenana Sun 20-Jun-21 18:01:10

Apologies if the mention of it upsets some.
My 2xAC bought their father as on previous ocasions really jokey cards. I always bought my dad a card with a nice pic and loving verse.
Is that old fashioned now, or do your children buy their father a card with a verse ?
If they are lucky enough to still have him.

Aveline Sun 20-Jun-21 18:04:14

Both gave DH nice cards. No verse in cards but both gave him really thoughtful presents. I was very proud of them.

Amberone Sun 20-Jun-21 18:06:01

Some are jokey, some fairly plain, some arty. Depends who buys them and what's around at the time that they think he'll like.

Very few with a verse, but then I don't buy them with a verse either - some of the verses just make me cringe. Just a simple 'with love' usually and then add something myself.

NotSpaghetti Sun 20-Jun-21 18:13:45

The verse cards hardly ever appear in this house for anything - but even in a jokey card our family tend to write really thoughtful things.

By the way, I have never bought cards with verses either. They are not to my taste as I like to write something personal.

M0nica Sun 20-Jun-21 18:24:53

Neither had verses in them. Both had a line of text on the front in one case and in front and inside saying how much they loved their dad.

I am another who never liked the verses anyway and used to avoid cards that had verse in them.

kittylester Sun 20-Jun-21 18:32:58

Dh had a combination but even the none funny ones had no verse. They do all put lovely words in though.

His favourite was an origami one made by a dgd!

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 20-Jun-21 18:33:27

If I buy a card for any occasion it would be blank unless it simply had happy birthday in it. Never a verse. I would rather write my own! Fathers Day - my daughter came home for the weekend with presents and a card for her dad. We went out for lunch too. Two sons, however, never acknowledge Fathers Day. Mothering Sunday is acknowledged by them but they consider Fathers a Day a day made up by the card companies. Mothering asunday has religious connotations.

BBbevan Sun 20-Jun-21 19:24:41

Nearly always arty cards or cards DS has made himself specially. ( he is an artist) .we are not terribly keen on jokey or rude , though some can be very funny.

Spidergran3 Sun 20-Jun-21 21:27:33

Be thankful their father got a card, I’m sure he appreciated their humour. Our AS called in this after noon without a card and a half bottle of Jameson’s not even popped into a gift bag. Certainly not the way he was brought up and we’re left wondering what on earth we have done wrong.

PinkCakes Sun 20-Jun-21 21:29:00

Our 2 sons were here today, each with jokey cards and presents - craft ales, chocolates, snacks he likes, crossword books, and socks.

They always get me traditional cards for Mother's Day and birthdays, but not usually ones with verses. Son no. 1 always writes quite sentimental things, Son no. 2 just "with love from..."

NotSpaghetti Sun 20-Jun-21 21:54:53

Spidergran3

Be thankful their father got a card, I’m sure he appreciated their humour. Our AS called in this after noon without a card and a half bottle of Jameson’s not even popped into a gift bag. Certainly not the way he was brought up and we’re left wondering what on earth we have done wrong.

Nothing wrong - he came over bearing a gift didn't he!

Witzend Sun 20-Jun-21 22:09:04

Ours wouldn’t send cards with verses and neither did I when I still had a father - TBH we find them too corny/twee, and a bit cringe-making.
It’s very hard to find anything else suitable, though - our dds (who adore their dad) will typically send a blank one with a nice picture, and their own words inside. Much as I used to - unless I could find a funny one that was appropriate.

dragonfly46 Sun 20-Jun-21 22:26:25

We get lovely cards written with much care and thoughtfulness.

maddyone Sun 20-Jun-21 23:46:24

Two cards with ‘Best Daddy in the world’ on and one with a joke about Dad never reading text messages, and a best grandad card. Lovely gifts, a Rick Stein meal box, a beautiful hanging basket ready planted, and gorgeous hand made fudge. Plus a Greek buffet at one son’s house with other son also there, and video chat with daughter in New Zealand.

Doodle Sun 20-Jun-21 23:49:57

One jokey one not. No matter, he knows they love him to bits.
Jokey one was quite funny actually and he loved both.

jusnoneed Mon 21-Jun-21 08:14:20

We don't give cards to each other (in the house) for any occasion. Son gave his Dad some Cider, they both enjoy trying different ones, and some bars of his favourite chocolate.
No fancy wrapping needed.

Greyduster Mon 21-Jun-21 08:43:30

DS sent one depicting an amusing roadmap of fatherhood - he always writes something touching inside; DD gave one with a watercolour of a puffin on the front and her usual pared back message inside - she’s never been demonstrative, on paper or off it - but he doesn’t need to be told how much she loves him.

M0nica Mon 21-Jun-21 10:23:22

DH had cards, but, as a family, we do not do presents except for birthdays and Christmas.

AC live along way away and academic terms limit the times when they can come down to visit.

However, I made a special meal and we cracked open a bottle of champers. DH was seriously ill before Christmas and at one point we thought he might not make it, so just having him around for this Father's Day was a gift in itself.

Cherrytree59 Mon 21-Jun-21 12:59:26

M0nica how true.

For the first time in many years my DH had both his children and grandchildren all together for fathers day.

Due to work commitments, Fathers day was celebrated in our house on Saturday.

It was a joyful time.
A gift of time and love.