Gransnet forums

Chat

Jamie Oliver has dropped the term Kaffir Lime leaves

(11 Posts)
25Avalon Mon 21-Jun-21 14:30:48

Jamie Oliver and several supermarkets have dropped the word Kaffir as it has evolved to be a derogatory racist word, although it didn’t start that way. They want to just call them lime leaves but surely they aren’t lime leaves as such. Should they not be called Asian lime leaves or Makrut as they are called in South East Asia where they originate from?

25Avalon Mon 21-Jun-21 14:37:57

Similarly shouldn’t we stop using Kaffir Lily for the plant and call it Schizostylis instead even though it’s not so easy to write or say. Several years ago dh told me the K in K Lily was offensive but I didn’t really understand then. It comes from South Africa too.

welbeck Mon 21-Jun-21 16:11:48

i've never heard of either the lime leaves or the plant, but i think it's good to not use terms that have a negative connotation.
i'd assumed it was some kind of ?fermented milk drink.
lots of things on here that i don't understand.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 21-Jun-21 16:20:14

The K……. Lime Leaves are widely used in Asian cookery, particularly Thai.

I hope this does not lead to a shortage of them in Waitrose!

NotSpaghetti Mon 21-Jun-21 16:32:01

Gosh. This is not one I knew in relation to South Africa at all.
I was aware of the slur regarding non-believers but honestly thought that had no link to (what I thought was simply) a South-East Asian type of lime tree!

Here's some interesting info from the OED:

public.oed.com/blog/word-stories-kaffir/

kittylester Mon 21-Jun-21 16:32:28

25Avalon

Similarly shouldn’t we stop using Kaffir Lily for the plant and call it Schizostylis instead even though it’s not so easy to write or say. Several years ago dh told me the K in K Lily was offensive but I didn’t really understand then. It comes from South Africa too.

We call those lilies schizophrenias which is probably as bad as calling them Kaffir lilies!

felice Mon 21-Jun-21 16:54:28

Some African friends of mine were saying how funny this is and only 'the White man 'really cares.
What next???????

greenlady102 Mon 21-Jun-21 16:59:43

felice

Some African friends of mine were saying how funny this is and only 'the White man 'really cares.
What next???????

what they mean is that THEY don't care. I must admit that I knew "kaffir" as a perjorative word some 60 years ago because my Dad's company had Lesothan soldiers in it (use to be called Basuto. he was in charge of their repatriation after the war and did many troop ship trips. He also had experience of what South Africa was like for its black inhabitants. Too long a story for here.....as an adult I first saw the lime leaves and was quite surprised at the name.

greenlady102 Mon 21-Jun-21 17:00:47

PS apparently waitrose are going to call them "Makrut" so no shortage....you can even buy a plant and grow your own.

Doodledog Mon 21-Jun-21 17:06:00

i'd assumed it was some kind of ?fermented milk drink.
the yoghurty stuff is kefir. I quite like it, but only the flavoured kind.

As for the leaves - I agree with the name being dropped, in the same way that the name for dark brown sewing thread was dropped when I was a child. Why keep using a pejorative term, even out of context?

SueDonim Mon 21-Jun-21 19:12:26

I’ve known of the connotations for years, because we have photos from my father’s S Africa childhood which have the word written on the back and it clearly wasn’t a polite one.

I had wondered about the name of the lime leaves in supermarkets but had kind of assumed that it maybe came from a different source.

Anyway, I’m sure we’ll still be able to buy them, whatever they’re called!