Gransnet forums

Chat

Would Men Be Treated Like This

(19 Posts)
bobbydog24 Mon 21-Jun-21 16:28:56

I was widowed at the end of 2019 and have been coping adequately considering. However I am finding that any jobs I need doing don’t seem to get the same attention that I’m sure a man would. For example, I have a sit on lawn mower that my husband used as we have a large garden. He maintained it as he was good with engines. My SIL mowes the grass for me now but knows nothing of engines and advised me to get it serviced as it was playing up a bit. I rang a company who deal with my type of machine in April and they said they’d ring me in about a month to sort out a visit as they were quite busy. Eight weeks went by and nothing so I rang them. Nothing had been written down and chap I’d originally spoken to was on holiday. They’d investigate and ring back. They didn’t. I rang again and eventually made appointment for this week. Would they arse a male around like this. The right back indicator stopped working on my 4 year old car so I took it to a garage. Simple I thought, change a bulb not a big job. Wrong, have to go under the wheel arch. Changed the bulb but it still didn’t work. Said it must be electrics but couldn’t do it until today, a week later. Took it in first thing this morning with instructions from them they’d ring when I could pick up. Got to 3pm so I rang garage. They can’t find fault so need auto electrician to check it but he’s not in until tomorrow. I went to pick it up as I take my grandson to school each morning so couldn’t leave it. What happened to the call to let me know what was happening? So back again tomorrow, hoping it will be sorted. I am aware it is illegal to drive without working indicators but what can I do. These are just two of the occasions I have had that I’m sure would have been dealt differently if I had been a male.

MawBe Mon 21-Jun-21 16:48:18

Hmm
I'm also widowed and its mot been my experience. However I think you just need a new garage not a dealership for the car work- ask around for recommendations from friends

MawBe Mon 21-Jun-21 16:49:36

You could get your SIL to ring about the mower - see if that is more effective!

greenlady102 Mon 21-Jun-21 16:54:53

My experience with garages is that yes if its a lousy garage then men would be treated the same way. I think the bigger difference is that maybe a man wouldn't wait so long befofe losing patience....but then i wouldn't either and I am most definitely female!

Kamiso Mon 21-Jun-21 17:03:23

Perhaps once life opens up again you should look at attending an assertiveness course which may give you more confidence.

Not sure if it is a male/female thing or just an unlucky choice of companies or, even that, especially the mower people, have genuinely been rushed off their feet. Taking on extra staff when you are very busy is difficult because training someone is also time consuming, as we found to our cost!

nadateturbe Mon 21-Jun-21 17:06:23

Very bad service from everyone. I'm not sure its related to gender. I would find a better garage. Maybe ask online locally for recommendations.
Four weeks seems a long wait for lawnmower service. Perhaps ask SiL to ring as Mawbe suggested. But I would have tried elsewhere.

JaneJudge Mon 21-Jun-21 17:07:53

I'd ring a different company. Ours just pick them up and take them away and don't make a song and dance about it.

Sparklefizz Mon 21-Jun-21 17:15:25

We're in the middle of a pandemic. People are off sick or having to isolate and staff are rushed off their feet. Perhaps cut them some slack.

theworriedwell Mon 21-Jun-21 17:23:43

My husband is disabled so I deal with most of this sort of stuff. I haven't had your experience.

Don't you think it is dangerous to be driving GC round without indicators working properly?

Katie59 Mon 21-Jun-21 17:31:29

Mowers are notorious time wasters for workshops, wether you are male or female it makes no difference, best option is take it to them and ask them to service it, SIL could do that for you.
If you ask nicely at the garage they might have a courtesy car you can use

Calendargirl Mon 21-Jun-21 17:33:30

Sparklefizz

We're in the middle of a pandemic. People are off sick or having to isolate and staff are rushed off their feet. Perhaps cut them some slack.

Don’t agree. If it had been June last year certainly, but certainly not so much now.

Nonogran Mon 21-Jun-21 17:34:41

I’ve been messed around big time by my burglar alarm company & more recently the installers of my new double glazing & front door. It has driven me to tears of frustration because, being deaf, phones are a real struggle for me to understand others’ voices. Trades don’t return calls which I’ve struggled to make in the first place. Drives me wild. What happened to customer service & care? I feel your pain OP!

trisher Mon 21-Jun-21 17:35:11

I was divorced years ago and I've run my own life ever since. I haven't experienced anything like this .I never put up with poor service and I'm capable of dealing with anyone male or female.

Mattsmum2 Mon 21-Jun-21 17:38:00

Sorry for your loss. I am on my own and not had any issues. I am of the opinion that if you give someone a chance, call once more and if no reply, find someone else. It’s always good to get a recommendation from friends or off of Facebook, then I keep a note of all the good trades people that I have had good experiences with. That way I can also recommend to others. It takes a bit of confidence and sometimes a bit of banter to get what you want. It’s all a game at the end of the day, and I’m sure you can play it. Best of luck x

Chardy Mon 21-Jun-21 20:01:37

So sorry Bobbydog for your loss.
I can only suggest that you shop around for a decent garage (little independents are best), plumber, decorator etc preferably on personal recommendation of a trusted female friend/colleague.
Once I've found one, I ask them to recommend someone. I always start introductory conversations with "I've been recommended by..."
I have moved around England quite a lot in 40 years, and it seems to work reasonably well.

lemongrove Mon 21-Jun-21 20:23:18

I have arranged all sorts of things from car maintenance in garages to plumbing, decorating etc and not found a problem.
However, when returning things to shops or similar where it would be dealing with mainly female assistants have found that sending DH in works wonders, straight refunds no questions asked !
With garages, I think you can be messed about if you aren’t knowledgable about cars sometimes, but that applies to both men and women.

Jaxjacky Mon 21-Jun-21 20:28:38

Halfords would change the bulb, I wouldn’t use a garage, they’re reasonable and same day. The mower people are probably very busy, or, as others have said, try elsewhere, Calendargirl not sure where you are, but here, Hampshire, most trades are booked solid after lockdown.m

M0nica Mon 21-Jun-21 20:29:14

Garages are notorious , many will try it on with anybody, male or female. You just have to be assertive and tell them what you want and threaten to leave lousy reviews on any webites they are on.

DD has lived alone throughout her adult life and when she moved, she worked her way rapidly through about half a dozen garages before she found one she trusted.

As others have said lawnmowers are a problem, even DH has problems getting the mower service in a reasonable time.

bobbydog24 Tue 22-Jun-21 12:29:34

I took my car to Halfords initially but because it was in an unusual position, under the wheel arch, they couldn’t do it and advised me to go to a garage. My SIL uses the garage and has found it ok so I went there. I was told initially that there would be a 1 month wait for the mower service and was happy with that. What annoyed me was the fact that when I rang 2 months later they had no record of my ringing therefore I was never going to get a call. This is a well known company that service plant. I had rung a few companies that I had been directed to but non actually came out to service or pick mower up. We have no means of getting the mower anywhere, it’s not something you can shove in your boot.
My husband ran a business for over 40 years, employing people, dealing with the public and he would go out himself before he would let someone down.