Gransnet forums

Chat

Royal Thread the Second- Tiaras Optional! ?

(933 Posts)

GNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

FannyCornforth Fri 09-Jul-21 09:12:05

Welcome to Thread II!

We companionably mused, gossiped and waffled about Royalty, and vaguely related things for 1000 posts!

Starting with names; and ending on them them…
and in between covered everything from Adam Faith to Scottish Country Dancing!

So, as before, God Bless this Ship and All who Sail in her! ??

FannyCornforth Fri 09-Jul-21 09:13:32

Lucca re days of the week names -there’s an actress called January Jones

nanna8 Fri 09-Jul-21 09:24:26

She was in ‘Mad men’ wasn’t she? She is a good actress. I loved that series, very good. Tuesday Weld was another with an unusual name.

Blossoming Fri 09-Jul-21 09:34:15

Hello all, I’m glad we’re having a new thread, the first one was a lot of fun. I’ve always wanted to wear a tiara.

Anniebach Fri 09-Jul-21 09:39:49

Glad there is a second thread.

I have a tiara, !

Blossoming Fri 09-Jul-21 09:43:23

I’m jealous Anniebach!

FannyCornforth Fri 09-Jul-21 09:47:24

I have a tiara too!
I bet yours is a ‘proper’ one Annie, unlike mine (from Stourbridge market circa 1989)
On a completely unrelated note - I have a swanky new phone, due to my old android completely conking out, and I’m really struggling to get to grips with it.
So if I go off the radar, that’s the reason

Callistemon Fri 09-Jul-21 10:26:03

Oh, just a minute, my tiara got packed away at the start of lockdown as I had no official functions to attend.

Must get the butler to go into the attics to search for it.

Blossoming Fri 09-Jul-21 10:29:36

Am I the only one without a tiara? I must Google tiara shops immediately!

Callistemon Fri 09-Jul-21 10:33:07

I just found one DGD had hidden in the toy box, some of the diamonds are missing but never mind!
?

When I was young I was told I looked like Princess Alexandra but, alas, no longer, as she looked very elegant the other day and I am not at all elegant.

I do remember Tuesday Weld.
April (or Avril) is another popular name

Blossoming Fri 09-Jul-21 10:36:55

I am named after an aunt who was named after a royal princess. That’s probably the closest I’ll ever get to Royalty ?

Anniebach Fri 09-Jul-21 10:37:40

I designed mine, it hasn’t any jewels in though , it’s really a crown but I didn’t want to show off.

My younger daughter was town carnival Queen , a local
craftsman made it , 32 years ago

Callistemon Fri 09-Jul-21 10:58:46

Blossoming

Am I the only one without a tiara? I must Google tiara shops immediately!

Claire's Accessories do a range, so a member of the RF told me

Other retail outlets are available.

FannyCornforth Fri 09-Jul-21 11:23:59

Callistemon!
I didn’t know the meaning of your name until yesterday (doing a lot of online plant stuff)
So I’ve learnt that you are a bottle brush plant!

JaneJudge Fri 09-Jul-21 12:27:51

We are self isolating and I caught my husband smuggling in a box of plants he'd had delivered, like a naughty child.

I don't have a tiara either <sob>

Callistemon Fri 09-Jul-21 12:35:20

FannyCornforth

Callistemon!
I didn’t know the meaning of your name until yesterday (doing a lot of online plant stuff)
So I’ve learnt that you are a bottle brush plant!

I am indeed, FannyCornforth

I imagine you with beautiful flowing auburn locks so now you can imagine me with a short mop of hair just like a bottlebrush! It's not pink though and it grew in lockdown into Bob until scissor happy hairdresser got her mitts on it.
Back to Callistemon

Anniebach Sat 10-Jul-21 09:44:32

Meg and Harry have appealed for acts of compassion ,it can unleash incredible change across the world !

Blossoming Sat 10-Jul-21 10:33:13

What would you class as an act of compassion, as opposed to an act of kindness?

I think it means helping a person (pr persons) who is suffering and alleviating their troubles, whereas kindness is something you do to help others who are not necessarily suffering. I’m probably explaining it badly, but hope you can see what I mean.

Sparklefizz Sat 10-Jul-21 10:45:18

Anniebach

Meg and Harry have appealed for acts of compassion ,it can unleash incredible change across the world !

I wonder when they will show some!

nanna8 Sat 10-Jul-21 11:23:26

Funny that, I was thinking the same as you Sparklefizz.

merlotgran Sat 10-Jul-21 11:32:09

They didn’t show much compassion towards the DofE at the end of his life.

Grany Sat 10-Jul-21 11:33:46

Blossoming

I am named after an aunt who was named after a royal princess. That’s probably the closest I’ll ever get to Royalty ?

I don't want to get close to Royalty the farther away they are the better.
Abolished even better grin

nadateturbe Sat 10-Jul-21 12:13:15

Agree Grany. My mum didn't agree. I'm named after a member of the RF.?

Namsnanny Sat 10-Jul-21 12:22:01

Anniebach

Did a photo accompany the statement?
Just thinking the hand on heart one looking towards heaven would have been good.

Lexisgranny Sat 10-Jul-21 12:26:27

I see this morning that the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have been awarded a prize of £500 for “making the enlightened decision” to limit their family to two children. The prize money is to go to a charity but it did not specify if the money is to be donated to Archewell or a charity nominated by them