Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday

(68 Posts)
Michael12 Fri 23-Jul-21 06:15:17

Good Morning Everyone,
Looking like the start of another hot and balmy day here in brackley this morning.
Did my usual Bicester trip , but before that I have booked to see a show in London in December coach trip wise , Andrew Lloyd Webbers Cinderella in Gillian Theatre Drury Lane.
Today , easy day will watch opening ceremony of the delayed Olympic games .
Take Care,
Mick

Ashcombe Fri 23-Jul-21 06:16:58

Good morning from a warm Torbay, following a slightly cooler night, thanks to an Easterly breeze which also made yesterday more comfortable.

Belated birthday greetings to GrannyGravy and Gingster - what a super card your clever DH found! Hope you both enjoyed celebrating another 365 revolutions on the planet!

Yesterday, I heard the sad news that a member of our theatre company had passed away. We knew he was terminally ill but this was quite sudden. He was a larger than life character with a wonderfully sunny disposition and not yet 50. He was married eight years ago to another member of our company and in recent years, he had qualified as a nurse. A bright light has been extinguished.

I hope everyone is well and coping with the weather. An early Lidl shop beckons.

grandMattie Fri 23-Jul-21 06:20:46

Good morning from a warm E Kent. The forecast is for a maximum of 19C today. I wonder…
Got my two boys here for the night before they go off to Skye for a few days before DS1 returns to India on 3 July.
I’m takin my old friend out again this morning. It is so much easier than all the palaver of testing, coverings etc., to visit her in the nursing home itself.
Have happy birthdays, good days all GraMmingos. ???????

Sar53 Fri 23-Jul-21 06:37:57

Good morning from DD2's spare room in Kent, we are due a warm and sunny day.
Yesterday we went out to a local pub for lunch and the girls played in the pool during the afternoon.
DD2 and SIL are off to Oxford later. They are going to a wedding tomorrow. I shall take the girls out to a local park with some food for the ducks and squirrels. Hopefully they will have a splash around in the pool this afternoon as the forecast is not looking good for the weekend.
Enjoy Friday whatever you are up to xx

monk08 Fri 23-Jul-21 06:38:13

Good morning from a cooler Black country.
Nice you've booked a trip Mick something to look forward to.
Sorry to hear about your theatre member Ash such a young age.
Busy day today we're off to the zoo with Dgs haven't been there for at least 30yrs although it's only just 20 mins away. Hope chair lifts are working don't fancy climb up the hill.
Later we are going to Redditch to friends and out for a meal as it's her birthday.
Enjoy your day everyone and may you all find some ?.

Beechnut Fri 23-Jul-21 07:00:19

Good Morning everyone from sunny Severnside. Today is supposed to be a little cooler.

I had hours of FaceTime chat with my sister in law yesterday. I think we caught up on all the news and a bit more. Hopefully we will meet up next year. Something to look forward to.

An early shop, fuel for myself and also get some for the car.

Sad news about your friend Ash.

Keep taking care all and then a small cooling break ??

Scentia Fri 23-Jul-21 07:05:39

Good Morning all from East Staffordshire where the sun is currently looking for his hat but assured me he knows where it is???
Off to work shortly.
When swimming yesterday with DGS (2) he has discovered he likes to be launched across the pool much to the delight of other swimmers?
I have re named my painkillers as pain maskers as my shoulder is excruciatingly painful this morning, maybe taking them before swimming was a mistake!!
DH is off away today so I have an ‘empty’ for the next three days, oh the joy!!
Take care my friends and Ash I am so sorry to hear of your friend passing away, always so much sadder somehow when they are so young❤️

Jaxjacky Fri 23-Jul-21 07:13:49

Good morning all from a cooler S Hants, still forecast 26 later. How sad Ashcombe, that’s young.
With my DBS and driving licence checked I’m ready to start driving again next week, good job it’s not today as I’ve lent DD my car while hers gets the once over.
I have some admin/printing to do today, sort some clothes out and clean bathrooms.
Have a lovely day all with your outs and abouts, enjoy the weather as for a lot of us it breaks overnight.
Still missing some morningers, take care if you’re reading x

Marydoll Fri 23-Jul-21 07:15:25

Good morning all from a very cloudy Glasgow. We have thunderstorms predicted today. However, I hope DH is off the golf course before that happens. Not one of his brightest ideas.

Ashcombe, what sad news from you, this morning.

Yesterday was a bit of a fruitless day, to say the least. I'm struggling with breathlessness, due to the heat, so I decided to work on my latest project, ( upcycling a little unit) early on, when it was cooler.
DH was at one end of the garden, staining his whisky barrel, (I've lost count of the number of coats, it has s had), while I was spray painting. Our garden looked a little bit like an artists commune! ? Our poor postman looked rather bemused at the sight, I presented; masked, goggled and overalled.
After six, wasted hours, I was no further forward! ? One spray was as far as I got, before the nozzle clogged up. Despite advice from some granspals, enlisting DH's help and watching umpteen You Tube videos, I gave up!

The day became even more frustrating, when our new, garden table arrived. Unusually, DH offered to build it immediately, just in case it was damaged, since the box had umpteen holes in it. It was!!! Unfortunately, two of the metal legs were bent and the rubber feet were missing. The rest of the afternoon was spent contacting the supplier, repackaging the table ( not an easy task) and taking photographs of the damage.
Much to our surprise, we were told that a replacement would be sent immediately and that we could keep the damaged table. The whole process was done remotely, without me having to speak to a single person. What a result.

My only plan today is to go for petrol and bread and milk. This damned heat is neither good for my lungs nor heart and I have been feeling quite unwell. Its a mystery, as the heat in my beloved Rome doesn't have this effect! wink
I have been avoiding the petrol station and DD's, due to the never ending roadworks, which have now completed, but I now have to go.

The road improvements have turned out to be a bit of a disaster. The previous three lanes have become a cycle lane and only one lane. for cars. I have witnessed a few close calls in the last week, due to motorists not being aware of the changes and running out of road.

Wishing everyone the best of days, they can, especially those with the mountain of pain and sorrow to climb on a daily basis. ?

brook2704 Fri 23-Jul-21 07:18:13

Good morning everyone from Inverness where it’s a misty start to the day but another very warm sunny day is forecast.
So good you’ve booked your trip away Mick something good to look forward to and I’m sure the show will be brilliant
Sad news about your theatre friend Ash I’m sure he’ll be sadly missed
Today it’s the final day of grandparent duty for a while as DD2 is finishing work today for 3 weeks before starting a new job in August. I think I’ll treat them both to big ice creams after lunch! Then this afternoon DH and I are off down the road for the weekend where we’re staying in a cosy cabin on a campsite near Glenmore in the Cairngorms for a bit of rest and relaxation
Hope everyone finds something to enjoy today and take care all whatever the day brings ?

cornergran Fri 23-Jul-21 07:18:17

Morning Mick, morning All. Sunshine for our corner of Somerset, it feels a little fresher which is welcome.

Enjoyed a beach walk yesterday morning, also a sit in an air conditioned cafe. Two long phone chats made for afternoon disappear. Medical matters are the only things planned today. An unreasonably early blood test for me and a phone call from a GP for Mr C.

Sad news about your friend ash. Enjoy the peace scentia. Good to have things to look forward to mick.

Take care everyone. Hope Friday is kind to us all.

Alizarin Fri 23-Jul-21 07:18:24

Good morning from south Cornwall where I think it is a tad less hot.

Youngest son is coming later to stay for three nights while he lets his flat out via Air B and B, so I'm off to do some early morning shopping for food he can grab at the end of his taxi night shifts.

Am really hoping for an easing of the heat from today so I can breathe better - high temperatures make me wheeze these days.

A young blackbird has decided my patio is just the place for early evening investigation. Last night he sat in the ivy and cocked his head one way and the other for quite a while before deciding he didn't like the foe, which was actually himself reflected in a mirror. If he remains shy I'll remove the mirror until he's older and bolder.

So sorry about your friend Ashcombe. Too young.

Have the best day you can everyone.

Greyduster Fri 23-Jul-21 07:27:12

Good morning, Michael and all GNs from South Yorkshire where it is overcast and cool (thank you, Lord!). We are due some rain this weekend. Our water went off yesterday teatime. Apparently there was a burst main underneath the local golf course so a huge area was affected, but apparently the water company managed to divert water from another source so we weren’t without it for long thankfully. How we take our “on tap” resources for granted!
Kitchen cleaning and some laundry for me this morning and if it stays cool, some ironing. Have a safe and happy day folks!

Kim19 Fri 23-Jul-21 07:28:33

Morning all! Mick, I'm so envious of your prospective theatre trip. Well done you. Something to really look forward to. Ash, ?Sad indeed. In the midst of life and all that....... I'm off to the big city for lunch with a friend. Our original meet was because we had both been in WRNS. Happily we gelled and on we go. Lovely. I have a habit of perusing my day and singling out one high and low spot each bedtime. The low often turns out to be not so bad and the high is happily re-lived. Yesterday I had an unexpected call from my plumber (he's administratively inept!) and in half an hour he had fixed a little problem I'd been having. Yippee! Today I hope you all experience that little something that makes your hearts flip.

ginny Fri 23-Jul-21 07:41:00

Good morning everyone from a cooler N. Bucks.
Sorry to hear the sad news about your friend Ash.
I have to make a quiche and ice some cakes this morning.
We are having lunch with DGS 1 (18) for today . He is cycling to ours and has said he will need to shower before we go to a local restaurant.
Later I’ll be packing ready for my week away with DD3 and her boys.
Hope you all find a smile today.

Grandmajean Fri 23-Jul-21 07:41:05

Good morning all from hot Cheshire.
Sorry to hear of the death of your friendAsh That is no age at all.
Have to make pizza today for DG who is coming for tea. Wish I'd just bought one.
Stay cool.

Grandmabatty Fri 23-Jul-21 07:41:41

Good morning all. Low cloud in Polmont but very warm (for here) at 16° already. I know thunder is forecast and I love thunder and lightning. Ashcombe sad news indeed, on the loss of your friend. Marydoll and Alizarin, I'll join you in the wheezing. I seem to be a bit wheezy in this weather too. Mick it's good to look forward to something. I have a ticket for James Taylor in January and I'm really looking forward to seeing him.
Yesterday did not go as expected. I had a call from dd to ask if I could look after dgs as his granddad, who watches him on Wednesday and Thursday, was unwell. So my peaceful day was no more! The boy wonder wanted to go to see neighbours who love him visiting so that is what we did. He is at a very adorable stage as he takes your hand to 'persuade you' to do what he wants. Often it works! I'm making the most of it because it won't last forever.
Today I have a chiropodist appointment at ten. Because I'm diabetic I get my feet looked at every six weeks. After that, definitely nothing planned. I'll do the housework as a visit to St Andrews is on the cards for tomorrow. Have a good day all.

harrigran Fri 23-Jul-21 07:45:44

Good morning from the NE where it is starting to brighten.
Yesterday remained overcast all day so no outdoor activities took place.
Sainsbury's delivery had cheese, fish and beer missing I am sure we will manage but they are not products that you expect to be in short supply.
Sad news Ashcombe way too young.
Enjoy the day before the weather breaks.

Grandmadinosaur Fri 23-Jul-21 07:48:44

Good morning all. Overcast here so far. Yesterday was so humid it took me ages to do the few jobs I needed to get done.
In the morning DH sent me a text to see if I wanted to go for a coffee at our local marina so we did. It’s such a lovely area 10 minutes drive away but it’s like being in your hols!
My dentist appointment wasn’t too bad. The bad news is my dentist is now away for 6 weeks so my next appt is end of September. At least my purse has chance to recover. Something suddenly came time last night when I remembered in the first lockdown I managed to save quite a decent sum each month. I paid a round figure into the bank and left some in my bedside cabinet until that too reached the same amount. I haven’t added to it for a while but was it still there ( foggy brain) and yes it was. So at least a little contribution to the cost for my crown.
No plans for today except meeting DIL this afternoon after her midwife appointment.

Sorry to hear your sad news Ashcombe sometimes life just isn’t fair ?

Have a good day all

Gingster Fri 23-Jul-21 07:49:42

Good morning all and it much cooler and overcast here on the Suffolk coast. I don’t mind! I like contrasts in weather.

Thank you everyone for your kind birthday wishes yesterday. I had a lovely day - I hope you did too Grannygravy

Ashcombe how sad to hear of your young friends passing. ?

Marydoll how frustrating for you . All dressed ready in preparation for the make over. ?. But a good result with the damaged table. You will probably be able to do something with it to make it usable. ?

Scentia your poor shoulder. Launching Gs across the pool probably didn’t improve it. Look after it. ?.

Mick - I too have booked to see Cinderella in September. I hope it opens as I think the theatre has been closed again. I think you’ll have more of a chance in December than I do in September as Covid concerns will be high again after the summer gatherings. Let’s hope! As you say ‘something to look forward to’.

Wishing you all a pleasant day whatever lies ahead. ?

Marydoll Fri 23-Jul-21 07:51:15

Grandmabatty, I envy you. St Andrew's is one on my favourite places. We are off to seaman's cottage in Anstruther in September, {I hope!) and of course a trip to St Andrew's will be on the itinery!
There is a shop in St Andrew's Kalu and I cannot resist. I never come out empty handed.It's called, Pretty Things. NanKate, you would love it!

shopprettythings.com

Gelisajams Fri 23-Jul-21 07:57:00

Good morning from Shetland where a tropical 14 degrees is promised. Sad news from Ash to start the day.
Yesterday we headed to the south of the island again from where we got a boat to the uninhabited island of Mousa. Here stands the best preserved broch to be found anywhere in Scotland. Its an Iron Age drystone structure that stands Over 13 meters high. Unfortunately restrictions meant we could only peer inside and not climb the internal staircase. Not that I would want to - I don’t like heights, but DH was a bit disappointed.
Will stay local to the croft today. We have travelled a lot of miles over the last few days.
Take care everyone and stay safe. ?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 23-Jul-21 08:04:07

Morning Mick and all

Warm and sunny here in S E Essex, doesn’t feel as hot as yesterday.

We had a lovely day at the zoo, ending with a trip to our local Indian restaurant (my first job today is to remove chicken tikka masala sauce from The Imps once white T shirt!!

They are both here today, so no doubt it will be water and squeals in the garden.

Sorry to hear of your friend Ashcombe ?

We saw lots of flamingos, here is one of the photos (David Bailey I am not ?)

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️?

Grandmabatty Fri 23-Jul-21 08:05:13

Marydoll it's one of my favourite places too. I don't think we'll be venturing to the shops though. Dd,sil and dgs are taking me and we will be heading for the beach. Probably the west sands. I love a wander round the town and St Andrews had really quirky and independent shops, but sil may not share my passion for shops. It'll depend on the forecast too.

Marydoll Fri 23-Jul-21 08:14:03

Grandmabatty, we have so many happy memories of caravan holidays ( couldn't afford a cottage) in St Andrew's.
One memorable one had myself, DH, DS1, DS2, my brother, my BIL, SIL and SIL's brother all crammed in a caravan, while not surprisingly, the men went golfing!!! Shades of the Broons!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_TezlXFobs