Gransnet forums

Chat

I should know. But what flowers are best for a ‘congratulations on new baby’

(22 Posts)
Kandinsky Fri 23-Jul-21 13:18:04

Thank you!

Witzend Fri 23-Jul-21 14:24:32

IMO any that don’t involve the faff of having to find a suitable base. , trimming stems, arranging them, etc., when very likely feeling very tired anyway. In other words, a ‘done’ arrangement that can just go on the table.
Not easy to find nowadays though, as we found out recently when trying to order for someone very elderly and unwell.

Aveline Fri 23-Jul-21 15:19:01

Just a lovely hand tied bunch of sweet peas to plonk straight into a jug would be lovely. Well maybe that's just me!

geekesse Fri 23-Jul-21 15:26:38

Something small and white is traditional; depending on the season, snowdrops, lily of the valley, white pinks, white bud roses, stuff like that.

M0nica Fri 23-Jul-21 15:55:34

Whatever takes your fancy. Flowers in a vase save having to find one.

Hithere Fri 23-Jul-21 15:59:25

Anything bright and happy.

Maybe a giftcard instead of flowers?

AGAA4 Fri 23-Jul-21 16:42:51

My friend gave me a small bunch of mainly blue flowers on the birth of my GS.

Kandinsky Fri 23-Jul-21 17:53:30

Thank you all, appreciate this thanks

Callistemon Fri 23-Jul-21 18:20:17

You can purchase them in a vase; such a relief if you find someone has sent flowers already arranged in a vase of water.

I think a gift card or some lovely toiletries for Mum, not flowers.

Tea3 Fri 23-Jul-21 18:29:53

Aveline

Just a lovely hand tied bunch of sweet peas to plonk straight into a jug would be lovely. Well maybe that's just me!

Me too! I love sweet peas. So does the Queen. Up at Balmoral she has a long fence where sweet peas are grown to flower during her holiday in Scotland.

Katie59 Fri 23-Jul-21 18:51:44

There is a lovely rose with lots of small pink flowers “Joie de Vivre” just perfect for a lasting celebration of new life.

Aveline Fri 23-Jul-21 21:08:10

Tea3 me and the Queen, two of a kind!

DillytheGardener Fri 23-Jul-21 21:12:53

I had a sumptuous mountain of flowers when I had ds1, all in shades of blue mostly or whites. (Blue for a boy!)

Floradora9 Sat 24-Jul-21 21:02:49

Depends if they are UK based I was surprised to discover carnations are only used for funerals in some middle Eastern countries. We were warned before a wedding not to wear them but in the centre of the tables was lilac which is thought to be unlucky indoors in Scotland .

anikers Thu 18-Nov-21 12:32:12

Bright and cheery is the way to go. BloomLocal is my favourite flower sender. They have elegant bouquets for just for the occasion

Hithere Thu 18-Nov-21 13:01:24

Flowers: depends on the preference of the parents

In lieu of flowers- giftcard bettet

silverlining48 Thu 18-Nov-21 14:49:52

M&S have a 10% discount on flowers at present.lots of choice, free delivery, day of your choosing.
I have just ordered some for dd who has been stressed lately. Not knowing her movements this week I ordered for Saturday when she should be home. Hope it cheers her up.

paddyann54 Thu 18-Nov-21 14:56:32

I usually send white daisies and gypsophilia ,Its what I had on tables for my childrens christenings and for the GC ;s christenings .We had so many compliments on them ,they just looked simple and innocent and beautiful.

Namsnanny Thu 18-Nov-21 15:06:19

It really has to be what is in season surely.
Unless you go the Chrysanthemum way. Which looks too funerial in my book.

Baggs Thu 18-Nov-21 15:17:09

I was given a miniature potted azalea by some work colleagues when I had my first baby. That was nice and it lasted a long time. Thereafter it was only the babies' father who supplied "the statutory bunch."

I've an American friend who has five kids – three girls and two boys. She once confided to me that her husband (who adores her) only gave her flowers when the boys were born.

Calistemon Thu 18-Nov-21 15:33:51

You can buy some ready in a vase so no arranging necessary!

paddyann54 Thu 18-Nov-21 16:00:04

Baggs my OH only buys "sorry flowers" I usually have no idea what he's sorry for but my friend who owns the florist shop asks him HOW sorry in £ before she makes them up.