Gransnet forums

Chat

Womens Magazines of Yesteryear.

(87 Posts)
Calendargirl Sat 24-Jul-21 11:33:28

Lying in bed last night and for some reason started thinking about the above from when I was young, in the 60’s.

Mum didn’t buy them, but we seemed to get them passed on from others. I’m thinking of Woman, Woman’s Own, Woman’s Realm and Woman’s Weekly.

All a similar format. Readers letters, fashion, cookery, craft work, famous people, household stuff, problem page.

The latter one I particularly recall is the WW one. ‘Mary Marryat Advises’. Accompanied by a photo of a white haired grandmother with a perm and a serene expression, doling out advice on etiquette, social skills, simple type issues. Cannot imagine she was ever asked about drug taking, alcoholism, abortions, abuse, anything like that. If she was, it didn’t reach the page. Perhaps the obligatory ‘SAE’ was used for such matters?

No idea if these mags are still on the go. If so, a much different format I assume.

(WW always seemed to have heaps of knitting patterns also)

?

BlueSky Sat 24-Jul-21 11:39:36

I used to love SHE! It seemed to be so ‘with it’, covering more ‘daring’ topics....I used to keep them to read again.

GrannySomerset Sat 24-Jul-21 11:41:50

I was looked after in the school holidays by a retired children’s nanny. I used to read her the stories from People’s Friend while she had her after lunch rest, surely less than suitable for a primary aged child! Can’t have hurt, though, because I became an avid reader. Woman’s Weekly had patterns for knitted clothes for Rosebud dolls and Nanny Carpenter taught me to knit and helped me make the simpler things, whilst producing wonderful outfits for my dolls for Christmas and birthdays.

Thanks for the reminder, calendargirl, I hadn’t thought of this for nearly seventy years.

Hithere Sat 24-Jul-21 12:00:48

I found this link online

www.womansweekly.com/

Is this a coincidence in name or same magazine?

Hithere Sat 24-Jul-21 12:09:15

Another interesting link

www.google.com/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/people/a-different-world-advice-from-a-1960s-agony-aunt-1.1871051%3fmode=amp

aggie Sat 24-Jul-21 12:22:15

I started getting WomansWeekly last year for the brilliant crochet throw patterns !
I always remember it for knitting, baking and advice ,
The stories are still dire !

Aveline Sat 24-Jul-21 12:24:09

GrannySomerset there would be absolutely nothing unsuitable for a child to read to their Nanny from the People's Friend. There still isn't!

Dinahmo Sat 24-Jul-21 12:25:31

When I was still at school - Honey. My mum used to buy Woman's Own but I did occasionally see the others. More importantly for me, as a young adult - Cosmo, Vogue and especially Nova. I bought all the issues of the latter and I think I still have the final issue lurking somewhere in a box.

Beechnut Sat 24-Jul-21 12:32:24

I buy Women’s Weekly most weeks. My favourite page is What you’re Wearing and You Wore It Well.

My mum bought it for the knitting patterns.

Lexisgranny Sat 24-Jul-21 12:37:01

My mother used to buy Women’s weekly for the knitting patterns. When I was young (probably under 10), I use to flick through it. I remember the Mary Marryat Page, and there was often talk of those who had regrettably “anticipated marriage’, strangely my mother never really gave a satisfactory explanation for what that meant, though I did grasp that it was frowned upon - funny the odd things you remember when you now can’t recall what you had to eat the day before!

Hellogirl1 Sat 24-Jul-21 12:47:19

I used to buy Woman and Woman`s Own for many years, then they changed format, became mostly about pop stars, so stopped getting them. I used to buy Take a Break to do the competitions, but nowadays I rarely buy magazines, if I do it`s People`s Friend.

Infinity2 Sat 24-Jul-21 14:07:56

My mother didn’t buy women’s magazines as dad controlled all the money and was as tight as a duck’s behind.
In our house mum bought Titbits ( there’s a title you wouldn’t see nowadays) and Weekend.

Oh and always The Exchange and Mart.
As soon as I could afford it I bought Woman and Woman’s Own. I never liked Women’s Weekly and the Women’s Realm - they seemed for much older women even then !

mokryna Sun 25-Jul-21 08:10:53

BlueSky

I used to love SHE! It seemed to be so ‘with it’, covering more ‘daring’ topics....I used to keep them to read again.

Snap.
Later, I move on to Good Housekeeping. However these days I don’t but any because they are so full of adverts. Open to any suggestions though.

Juliet27 Sun 25-Jul-21 08:15:24

I like Country Living and Landscape.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 25-Jul-21 08:27:04

I loved SHE as well BlueSky but sadly it changed its format and became like all the rest, instead of being a bit different. I recall it also had a poem and 'Under an English (or Irish, Scottish or Welsh) Heaven' with a beautiful landscape.

Grandma got Woman or Woman's Own which I was allowed to read during visits while she talked with Mum. I learned all sorts of things, especially in the medical columns. I don't think they'd have been too happy if they'd known about the personal subject matter.

GagaJo Sun 25-Jul-21 08:36:03

I loved SHE in the 1980s. It was quite feminist then. It's just another clothes/make-up/sex tips mag now.

I also used The Lady to find my first nanny job in the early 80s. It was an anachronism even then.

I was too young for Spare Rib but avidly read them in my uni library

sodapop Sun 25-Jul-21 08:39:06

My ex husband's parents used to buy Titbits Infinity his mother would cut out the 'rude' bits before he read it. It ended up full of square holes grin

Grandma70s Sun 25-Jul-21 08:50:44

I read Woman in my teens, to find out about Life. My mother didn’t approve at all. She thought it was very downmarket, so I wasn’t allowed to have it delivered to the house by the newsagent with the other magazines and newspapers. If I wanted to read it, I had to buy it.

Approved magazines were things like Ideal Home, Homes and Gardens, Vogue. My brother and I had mags relating to our hobbies and interests. Dance and Dancers and Ballet Today for me, Aeromodeller for him. (Is that right? I’m getting a red dotted line under it. Perhaps Aero Modeller?)

GrannyGravy13 Sun 25-Jul-21 09:03:23

Another fan of She magazine until it’s demise 10 years ago, I also bought Cosmopolitan when I started work.

Now it’s Good Housekeeping, Women & Home, Ideal Home and Homes & Gardens.

TerriBull Sun 25-Jul-21 09:16:12

She, Nova, Honey, Petticoat. I never buy magazines now but did once avidly, wish I still had some of those old ones, particularly from the late 60s early 70s. I did buy Cosmopolitan for a while when it was considered innovative, but increasingly I was realising all that naval gazing, psycho babble and introspection got on my nerves eventually.

These days even the fashion colour supplement with the Sunday Times pisses me off, such a fatuous load of bollocks, who buys the outrageously priced and often horrible clothes featured shock

Beswitched Sun 25-Jul-21 09:39:48

Good Housekeeping is the one I buy regularly now. The Woman's Own/Woman's Weekly type magazines used to be quite cosy and traditional but are just full of articles about Richard and Judy, the Loose Women etc nowadays so have no interest.

I also remember weekly comics when I was a child - Mandy, Bunty and Judy in particular while my brother bought Dandy, Beano and the Beezer which I also loved. Apart from the Beano they've all disappeared.

BlueSapphire Sun 25-Jul-21 10:22:01

I loved SHE in the 1970s, a bit different, daring and racy. Stopped buying it when it changed, and became like all the other magazines.

Used to get the American edition of Cosmopolitan when I lived in Singapore - what an eye-opener!

Used to enjoy the old Woman and Woman's Own, but not since they became full of celebs and soaps.

Now I have Good Housekeeping because it comes free with my bank account.

Flexagon Sun 25-Jul-21 10:28:23

sodapop

My ex husband's parents used to buy Titbits Infinity his mother would cut out the 'rude' bits before he read it. It ended up full of square holes grin

My gran bought Titbits and Reveille. Both ended up cut into squares and hung on a hook in the outdoor lav when there was no money for the luxury that was Izal!

Granmarderby10 Sun 25-Jul-21 11:00:45

I recall She magazine in the early 70s it was massive in size compared to the others. My parents were magazine and newspaper mad so daily through our letterbox came Daily Mirror evening paper local Telegraph, a Sunday Mirror, TheTV Times ( even though it only listed ITV programmes then) so funny that.
Then every week there was Womans Weekly and Woman I think the “Woman’s Weekly” appealed more to my Mums older age group at the time in her late 40s and “Woman” was Mums way of keeping in touch with my older sisters. Remember Marjory Proops she was much more outspoken than the rather twee Mary Marriat in a way Mary was very BBC I suppose whereas Marj was more ITV ….. our paper bill was enormous shock

BlueSky Sun 25-Jul-21 11:08:10

Like others on here former SHE readers, I’m now down to Good Housekeeping. To be honest the name is a bit old fashioned and misleading, it’s quite good really with a mixture of articles. But they do repeat the same topics, so only buy occasionally now, like when bored or travelling (?).