Gransnet forums

Chat

Cannabis smoking

(143 Posts)
Scentia Sun 25-Jul-21 13:15:36

My DD and SIL have neighbours who during the summer insist on smoking cannabis in their garden, but it is making its way up to my DGD bedroom as the windows are open.
I said they should call the police but they are unwilling to cause too much fuss as it may make things worse. I feel like knocking the door myself and telling them to stop but obviously it is not my place to do so. Have any of my GN friends any ideas on what to say to them to cause the least amount of animosity with their neighbours?

MaggieTulliver Sun 25-Jul-21 13:35:56

Would you be equally upset if they were just smoking ordinary tobacco OP? Because if it’s just the fact that it’s weed that you don’t like, then I think you’re being unreasonable.

Riverwalk Sun 25-Jul-21 13:38:58

I think they should have a word with the neighbours, assuming the neighbours appear to be reasonable, and ask them to smoke their stuff further down the garden so the smell is not going directly into DGD's bedroom.

Calling the police is over the top unless they ignore polite requests to desist.

JaneJudge Sun 25-Jul-21 13:45:59

The son of mines does it as well but it's sporadic enough not to cause a problem and it isn't making its way into the house. I think as riverwalk suggests, if they are reasonable just talk to them? I don't think people realise how strong the smell is

tanith Sun 25-Jul-21 13:48:27

I don’t think the police would be interested but asking them politely to move down the garden would be reasonable.

timetogo2016 Sun 25-Jul-21 13:53:49

I would have a quiet/calm nice word with them.
I have a neighbour who occasionaly smokes cannabis and it literaly makes me physically sick.
I`m suprised how common it is,i didn`r realise just how many people use it.

lavenderzen Sun 25-Jul-21 14:09:57

You must suggest that your daughter or son in law has a word if it is going into your granddaughters bedroom. That is not right. It is toxic, carcinogenic and against the law (although the police turn a blind eye to it) but not something that should continue in the present situation.

Scentia Sun 25-Jul-21 14:15:45

MaggieTulliver
Yes we would be equally upset but I wasn’t worried if I was being unreasonable as I know we are not!!!

She went round this afternoon and asked them to give her a heads up if they are going to smoke it outside so she can move her DD or close the window, they said ok. DD is hoping they will be too embarrassed to tell her they are about to have a toke in their garden they will just go it inside!!
We will have to see how it plays out!

3nanny6 Sun 25-Jul-21 14:17:28

I would have a calm word with them and tell them that the smell is making it's way into the child's bedroom and it is not
acceptable for that to be happening. Tell them to at least go to the very back of the garden out of the way and do it there.
It is most common now and to find teenagers and young adults smoking is almost normal, When I walk my dogs I smell cannabis all the time.

A few years ago a friend of mine was fed up with the
teenagers next door constantly smoking cannabis she went a bit extreme and anonymously told police that there was drug dealing going on at the address and the house got raided by police.
The father of the teenagers went mad but at least they stopped doing it. There was no real damage done as the police only seized a small amount and the boys got a caution.

Esspee Sun 25-Jul-21 14:22:11

This year is the first time I have had a similar problem. I found myself coughing at the pungent smell and being naive didn't know what it was.
OH is a man of the world and told me.
I phoned my next door neighbour who is older than me, explained that the prevailing wind blows past my house straight into the garden of two senior police officers and that whoever is smoking needs to do it elsewhere.
I am beginning to think she didn't understand what I was on about as her son or grandson has continued to do it during this warm spell.
I am watching this thread with interest.

Esspee Sun 25-Jul-21 14:28:13

Why is it unreasonable to object or involve the police MaggieTulliver and Riverwalk. It is illegal, antisocial and toxic. Nobody should have to breathe in such toxic fumes.

BlueBelle Sun 25-Jul-21 15:44:28

I don’t think it’s illegal for home use espee it is for growing or selling or large amounts but I don’t think it is for small amounts in your own home
I get it from both sides of my house ?
I don’t think police would do anything for home use and to be honest they d never stop knocking on doors if they did it’s extremely common usage
The best one was last year my daughter and I were in the sea and I said to her ‘can you smell weed’ she said ‘yes it’s very strong’ we were both puzzled being in the sea then a lilo floated past with a middle aged to older man lying on his back puffing away we couldn’t help laughing it was such a strange thing to see
In answer to your original question I don’t think that’s there’s much you can do

BlueBelle Sun 25-Jul-21 15:46:21

Scentia they won’t be embarrassed it’s a normal thing for people ( and not just young) to do

Purpledreamer Mon 26-Jul-21 10:46:59

I think if it is making its way into the house then just asking them to smoke a little further away is not unreasonable. I assume you'd be the same if it was normal tobacco.

gangstergranny Mon 26-Jul-21 10:49:08

I'm fed up with smelling it when me and my hubby are taking evening walks. We're astounded by the amount of people who do it. Like tobacco I have no problem with them doing it I just don't want to inhale their toxic air....

annifrance Mon 26-Jul-21 10:50:37

My daughter and I were driving in a remote part of France. We passed through a small village and about 1Km further on we stopped to ask the way from two old ladies who were smoking sitting by the side of the road. As my DD opened the window the car was filled with the smoke of weed! We fell about laughing. The two old ladies just smiled!

Tooyoungytobeagrandma Mon 26-Jul-21 10:51:13

I must be in a minority here as although I cannot stand the smell of normal cigarettes/cigars I do not mind weed. When I walk my dogs in the evening I pass a couple of houses where people obviously smoke it and just smile to myself wondering how many people are surprised if they smell it. Preferable to car fumes which do make me feel ill if stuck in traffic, but weed meh ?

Aepgirl Mon 26-Jul-21 10:51:49

I live near a small railway station with a well-lit alleyway and children’s play area alongside. Some days, and today was particularly bad, there is a strong smell of cannabis. Several of us have reported this to the police (some people who live nearby have seen the offenders) but the police just don’t take any action.

ReadyMeals Mon 26-Jul-21 10:52:53

MaggieTulliver

Would you be equally upset if they were just smoking ordinary tobacco OP? Because if it’s just the fact that it’s weed that you don’t like, then I think you’re being unreasonable.

I am sure the OP would be just as upset if the DGD's room stank of tobacco smoke.

Pippa22 Mon 26-Jul-21 10:56:49

It is so common place around that I don’t even notice it any more. I am sure the Police wouldn’t be at all interested as it is not viewed as criminal now if just for personal use.
If surprises me that there is anyone who wouldn’t know the smell, where have you been for years ? Unfortunately it is now a part of a lot of many peoples lives, young and old.

Loretta1 Mon 26-Jul-21 10:57:41

I travel on motorways most days. At this time of the year when the weather is hot and sunny and people put the roof of their cars down there is a very strong smell of weed especially at queues etc very scary to think that people think that this is acceptable or safe

Callistemon Mon 26-Jul-21 10:58:04

MaggieTulliver

I wouldn't want it going into my child's bedroom and the child inhaling other people's toxic air either.

I remember hiring a seaside apartment, wanting to sit out on the balcony in the evening watching the sun go down but the smell of cannabis from the balcony below was so strong we couldn't.
It's not as bad as the smell of tobacco, though.

She went round this afternoon and asked them to give her a heads up if they are going to smoke it outside so she can move her DD or close the window, they said ok.

I hope they take heed, Scentia, probably they just didn't realise.

Gillycats Mon 26-Jul-21 10:58:24

It’s horrid and dangerous to your mental health. If people want to do it they should do it in their own homes. I don’t think people realise how lethal that rubbish is. It can cause mental health issues and is the primary reason for the escalating demands on mental health services in recent years. If users want to risk that then I couldn’t care less but it’s unfair to inflict it on others. The police aren’t at all helpful either, we have a dealer near us who deals next door to the primary school and to underage youngsters. I’ve taken to threatening him now as he does it outside our house in spite of my repeated polite requests to stop x

Petal1 Mon 26-Jul-21 10:58:49

Lots of people are now using it, not just for leisure purposes, but also for medicinal reasons. I was a palliative care nurse before I retired, and many patients used it to help control their pain.

SillyNanny321 Mon 26-Jul-21 11:02:27

My next door neighbours would smoke in front & back garden every day. I just shut the windows near to them till they were done. Dont get it now as they have moved. Would rather have that than the abuse from previous tenants.