Gransnet forums

Chat

Whatever happened to overpopulation ?

(25 Posts)
Infinity2 Sun 25-Jul-21 16:50:58

In the fifties and sixties all we ever heard about was overpopulation. The major concern of everyone was the rise of global population figures and limited world resources, food and energy.

Nowadays you never hear overpopulation mentioned.
Apparently the world population increased from one billion in 1800 C.E. to an eye watering 7.9 billion approximately in 2021 and will reach an estimated 8.1 billion in 2025.

You don’t have to be a brain surgeon to see the elephant in the room.
All we ever hear about nowadays are social irrelevancies compared to the very dark future ahead of Planet Earth.

Global warming, carbon footprints, migration, and wars need to get in the queue behind the global overpopulation problem.

I have no idea what the solution is. But the problem officially has ceased to exist and isn’t discussed.
If we don’t do something we’ll end up with a solution like in the film Soylent Green - eating each other.

FannyCornforth Sun 25-Jul-21 16:53:59

I’m certain that I’ll be laughed at for this, but I honestly think the end is nigh for the human race
And in many respects, good riddance

AGAA4 Sun 25-Jul-21 16:57:52

FannyCornforth

I’m certain that I’ll be laughed at for this, but I honestly think the end is nigh for the human race
And in many respects, good riddance

We humans have caused a lot of problems for this planet. Don't deserve it really.

25Avalon Sun 25-Jul-21 16:58:00

Infinity2 that has been on my mind for some time. We are using up finite resources fast and populations continue to grow. I don’t see how it can go on for ever.

Hithere Sun 25-Jul-21 17:10:29

Aga
Ditto

GagaJo Sun 25-Jul-21 17:23:08

I agree Fanny. I think we're a plague on the earth. And I think the current plague may well see us off.

Riverwalk Sun 25-Jul-21 17:35:13

GagaJo both you and I have lived in New Mexico - the world is not over-populated!

Resources may be unfairly distributed and mismanaged but the physical world has plenty of space.

There is a lot wrong but the end is not nigh.

geekesse Sun 25-Jul-21 17:44:27

The Guardian website had an article which chimes with this discussion today: www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jul/25/gaya-herrington-mit-study-the-limits-to-growth?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

The headline is ‘Yep, it’s bleak, says expert who tested 1970s end-of-the-world prediction
A controversial MIT study from 1972 forecast the collapse of civilization – and Gaya Herrington is here to deliver the bad news’

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 25-Jul-21 17:45:59

The Guardian or i have had articles recently about overpopulation. It hasn’t gone away. The UN has a population division. David Attenborough, and I think Chris Packham are involved too. There are too many of us and we are ruining the planet. I expect in a few years time we will colonise Mars and ruin that too. One problem is that one of the world’s largest religions (RC) doesn’t allow artificial birth control.

Ilovecheese Sun 25-Jul-21 17:53:20

This is another reason not to reduce our foreign aid budget.
Foreign aid helps women have access to contraception.

lemsip Wed 28-Jul-21 08:11:33

This is what 'kids in the 1960s' predicted for the future. Some thought we wouldn't be here

www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-OKfcljAok

Witzend Wed 28-Jul-21 08:42:50

From a lot I’ve read in the past few years, inc. a piece in today’s Times, it’s not space that’s going to be the problem, but water. Today’s piece talked of ‘water wars’ in traditionally dry areas that are increasingly suffering from drought.

Ngaio1 Wed 28-Jul-21 08:48:50

If the foreign aid budge had been used for population control we would not have so many people without food and man decimating forests and helping to destroy the natural world.

Witzend Wed 28-Jul-21 08:56:24

I’m not sure it’s that simple, Ngaio1. In countries where healthcare is poor or unaffordable, and too many children die in infancy, then until healthcare is much improved, there will IMO be many who won’t want to restrict numbers of children.

Plus of course, as in the case of vaccines even pre Covid, there have been religious or other leaders telling people that such things are a Western plot to make them infertile, and thus making people afraid of them.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 28-Jul-21 09:00:00

DiL has been working with a charity in Kenya, contraceptive education is not enough.

They have to overcome years of patriarchy to teach women about their bodies and how they work. The village elders are not always receptive to having educated females in their midst.

Some of the tribes still live a nomadic life which makes follow up programmes difficult if not nigh on impossible.

The men of the many of these tribes achieve status by having many children especially sons.

Alegrias1 Wed 28-Jul-21 09:04:20

Ngaio1

If the foreign aid budge had been used for population control we would not have so many people without food and man decimating forests and helping to destroy the natural world.

The UN Population Fund says the UK had pledged £154m for its projects but now says it will get around £23m this year.

UNFPA executive director Dr Natalia Kanem ..... estimated the £130m lost would have helped prevent about 250,000 maternal and child deaths, 14.6 million unintended pregnancies and 4.3 million unsafe abortions.

We were doing a lot for family planning. But much better to have an official yacht, clearly.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56924128

timetogo2016 Wed 28-Jul-21 09:07:00

The world isn`t over populated just certain countries,ie Japan/China/some Asian countries.
The UK certainly isn`t Australia certainly isn`t.
Just more scaremongering as if we haven`t got enough to worry about at this moment in time.

Alegrias1 Wed 28-Jul-21 09:09:41

Call up Sir David, tell him you know better.

www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/10/david-attenborough-warns-planet-cant-cope-with-overpopulation/

Blossoming Wed 28-Jul-21 10:24:08

Japan doesn’t even make it into the top 10.

www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/02/these-will-be-the-worlds-most-populated-countries-by-2100

MerylStreep Wed 28-Jul-21 10:25:10

timetogo
Tell that to the people in Texas. The know why certain areas are sinking: demand on water, and why is this?
The demand isn’t for the birds it’s for the rising population.

today.tamu.edu/2021/02/08/a-sinking-situation-in-houston-texas-gulf-coast/

Alegrias1 Wed 28-Jul-21 10:27:17

Good point Blossoming.

Its also worth pointing out that population density isn't the same as overpopulation.

Overpopulation is about there being too many people on the planet for the amount of resources available.

MerylStreep Wed 28-Jul-21 10:42:15

This reminds me of words from a Bob Dylan song.
He says to a girl lets go play Adam &Eve
She replies Hey man, you crazy or sumpin. You see what happened last time they started

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 28-Jul-21 11:17:09

Surely this is the challenge we now face? Make the most of what we have and take care of the planet!

Alegrias1 Thu 29-Jul-21 07:45:27

Coincidentally, today is Earth Overshoot Day. We've used up all the resources that the Earth can replace this year, and there are still five months to go.

www.independent.co.uk/climate-change/news/earth-overshoot-day-2021-meaning-b1891981.html

Katie59 Thu 29-Jul-21 08:11:53

Global population is set to peak in 50 yrs, nobody is tackling it because it is culturally and religiously sensitive, telling people how many children they should have breaks their human rights ( except China).
This is why trying to reduce climate change is going to fail -population is increasing and their lifestyle aspirations are increasing as well, they want what we have, cars, travel, decent housing. All of which use greater resources and energy.