Gransnet forums

Chat

Well it's finally happened!

(42 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Tue 27-Jul-21 21:00:43

Yes, I am now officially an OAP! Where did all that time go? I can't quite believe it! I was dreading it, but have decided to embrace it. I'm not ready for the shopping trolley on wheels quite yet smile I'm more like that lady in the poem who wants to wear purple when she gets old ? Actually nothing's changed except I'll get my pension money in a few weeks!

aggie Tue 27-Jul-21 21:02:47

Great grannyrebel7 , don’t spend it all in the one shop , as my Mum used to say ?

NotAGran55 Tue 27-Jul-21 21:12:05

Happy Birthday! ?

Sara1954 Tue 27-Jul-21 21:42:49

Grannyrebel
Same, I’ve had my first months pension.
As you say, nothing has changed, still working, still got a houseful, husband still working.
I wear a lot of purple anyway, it’s my favourite colour, so I won’t even have to make that change!

Nannagarra Tue 27-Jul-21 21:43:28

Happy birthday! ? ? ?
Don’t go crazy with the pension, all 2/6 of it!

Jaxjacky Tue 27-Jul-21 21:51:29

Happy Birthday to you…..???

PippaZ Tue 27-Jul-21 22:22:27

You need to remember the "red hat" that doesn't go, and doesn't suit you.

The poem is a warning that the women will become a rebel when she is "old". Seems to me you may have got there already grannyrebel7

HurdyGurdy Wed 28-Jul-21 10:48:36

I laughed at your railing against a shopping trolley on wheels. Many years ago, there was a works outing arranged - a "booze cruise" (are they even still a thing now? - they were very popular back in the 80s).

I took an "old lady's" shopping trolley with me, and was subject to much laughter and derision on the outward trip (I was about 25 years old at the time).

They weren't laughing on the return trip. Many comments of "you had the right idea" etc etc. I definitely had the last laugh as they were struggling to carry their heavy bags/boxes of booze back from the hypermarket onto the ship etc grin

I still use a shopping trolley on wheels now if I decide to walk to the supermarket rather than drive - makes life a lot easier

Wishing you a very happy birthday to you grannyrebel7 - and many more to come x

Cid24 Wed 28-Jul-21 10:57:11

I love my shopping trolley! It’s black with white polka dots , best thing ever!

Happygirl79 Wed 28-Jul-21 10:59:46

Retirement is the very best time of your life if you embrace it
Enjoy!

Mollygo Wed 28-Jul-21 11:01:05

Happy Pension Day. You’ve earned it!???

Ph1lomena Wed 28-Jul-21 11:05:25

I used to use a shopping trolley back in the 1980s when I was also in my twenties too. Sainsburys was 5 minutes walk from the house, would have taken longer to take the car and park so it was very convenient. I just wish they'd had them in the cool colours you can get now!

Hetty58 Wed 28-Jul-21 11:05:55

I just loved getting my 60+ (London) travel card, then my Freedom Pass when I became, officially, a pensioner. Oh, the chance to go here, there ad everywhere - all for free!

Gwenisgreat1 Wed 28-Jul-21 11:14:23

Belated Happy Birthday grannyrebel7 wine Congratulations on joining a great bunch of people - Pensioners! We are gutsy, mouthy, fun-loving, worth our salt, poorly paid people of the world!

aonk Wed 28-Jul-21 11:15:19

We live near to but not in London and really enjoy going there when we can. I do envy those who have the freedom pass but of course we are lucky in other ways and after our train journey to London we make good use of our bus passes!

Brocky Wed 28-Jul-21 11:16:58

Unfortunately I was unable to do shopping using a trolley on wheels when I became an OAP and still unable, I have to use a mobility scooter to enable me to go outside the flat. I still count my blessings.

NannyJan53 Wed 28-Jul-21 11:31:31

Welcome to the retirement club! I am sure you will make the most of every day!

I retired May 2017, but didn't receive the State Pension until March 2018, and of course my travel pass, which I can also use on trains in the West Midlands area. It is very useful on holiday in this country where we leave the car on the caravan site, and use the buses, no hassle to find a space and no car parking charges! smile

I have enjoyed every minute of the freedom. No clock watching and do (mostly) what I want, when I want.

ginny Wed 28-Jul-21 11:36:19

Happy Birthday !

Those shopping trolled are very useful. Only thing is , I hate them when they are used at shows and exhibitions. The times I have fallen over them in a crowded aisle or had the little stand legs pushed into my ankles.

Scottiebear Wed 28-Jul-21 11:51:22

Grannyrebel7. I too get my pension later this year. Yay. But Ive decided age is just a number and doesn't reflect state of mind. Doesn't stop me wondering where the years have gone though.

Alioop Wed 28-Jul-21 12:01:22

Many Happy Returns flowerswine

annodomini Wed 28-Jul-21 12:06:34

Happy Birthday, young lady! Please, please, I beg you (and everyone) drop the OAP tag. It's so out-dated. We haven't, as long as I can remember, had an 'Old Age' pension. It's a retirement pension, I may be 80, but I refuse to be called an OAP. So there! grin

elleks Wed 28-Jul-21 12:50:23

I retired in January 2020; retirement hasn't been quite what I expected so far!

GeorgyGirl Wed 28-Jul-21 12:54:46

Congratulations on being a Senior Citizen.

nanna8 Wed 28-Jul-21 13:11:10

Join the red hat ladies, wear purple clothes with a red hat. They are fun, I’ve been a member nearly 15 years now.

grannyrebel7 Wed 28-Jul-21 13:13:10

Thanks all I'm still working, decided to carry on for another year. Nothing will convince me about shopping trollies, but I much prefer the more respectful 'senior citizen' as opposed to OAP or just 'seniors' as they call them in the US.