Gransnet forums

Chat

Be more Samoan to avoid injustice

(10 Posts)
Mollygo Sun 01-Aug-21 14:50:30

I’m trying to find a way to copy the whole article but because a transwoman Laurel Hubbard who was a mediocre male weightlifter has succeeded in denying natal women the opportunity to get gold medals or in the case of poorer countries like Nauru, the opportunity to compete he has taken the slot, it appears that Samoan Women weightlifters will not be there.
www.thetimes.co.uk/article/be-more-samoan-to-avoid-olympic-injustice-s22rkn0rw
Men with half Hubbards bulk can lift heavier weights, but since H claims to be a woman . . .
Samoa suggests that instead of insisting women budge up and lose out, why not make male sport an open category?

Anyone see which competitors wouldn’t vote for that?

However, the outgoing Samoan Sports minister Loau Keneti Sio said that maybe Samoa should start entering fa’afafines in female events. “I’m certain we will win all the medals” he said.

Blossoming Sun 01-Aug-21 16:40:04

I think the Samoan approach to gender could solve a lot of problems.

Doodledog Sun 01-Aug-21 17:09:23

Agreed.

grannysyb Sun 01-Aug-21 18:14:35

I thought it was an excellent article, Janice is a very good journalist.

SueDonim Sun 01-Aug-21 18:29:21

I can’t read the article, it’s behind a paywall. What does it say?

Baggs Sun 01-Aug-21 19:34:59

This is the bit arguing that we should be more Samoan:

Samoa has a name for boys who prefer “feminine” clothing, games and roles: “fa’afafine”, meaning “in the manner of a woman”. Allotted traditionally female crafts and household duties, this “third gender” was revered for combining nurture with physical strength. In modern Samoa, there’s no stigma if your son is a fa’afafine: they are warmly accepted, even celebrated.

A fa’afafine, Jaiyah Saelua, was the first transgender footballer to play in a World Cup qualifying game. She was centre back for the American Samoan national team: the men’s team. Samoans understand that changing gender does not affect a person’s immutable biological sex.

Baggs Sun 01-Aug-21 19:36:41

And this is why:

Samoa enjoys few sporting glories but it excels at weightlifting. Feagaiga Stowers, just 20, a child sexual abuse survivor who started lifting while living in a domestic violence shelter, won gold at the 2018 Commonwealth Games. She looked a cert for the 2019 Pacific Games too, but instead the podium was topped by 41-year-old trans woman Laurel Hubbard. Bumped to second place, Stowers and team mate Iuniarra Sipaia, who took bronze, hung their heads in dismay.

Back in Samoa, the response was more baffled than furious. The prime minister asked how it could be fair that this New Zealand fa’afafine was competing against women.

SueDonim Sun 01-Aug-21 20:22:12

Thank you, Baggs. smile Yes, that seems altogether fairer to women.

Galaxy Sun 01-Aug-21 20:26:41

Dear God I didnt know that about Stowers, thankyou Baggs.

Rosie51 Mon 02-Aug-21 00:10:37

Samoans are inherently fair, principled people so apply fair principled judgements as to what is fair. What a shame so many other countries don't. Not at all surprised they're baffled by blatant (even if legal) cheating.