Gransnet forums

Chat

80th Birthday Gift

(18 Posts)
HeatherGirl Fri 06-Aug-21 17:57:29

Can anyone suggest an 80th birthday present for my amazing Aunt.
I've searched Amazon and present/gift sites. Can't find anything very inspiring. She is a very active and stylish lady. Just can't seem to find the right gift. Any suggestions gratefully received.

cornergran Fri 06-Aug-21 18:01:52

A female friend appreciated a silk scarf with her initials on it. Sourced from ETSY I think. It is hard for sure. We've an 80th gift for a male friend to find, so far no luck at all.

Esspee Fri 06-Aug-21 18:03:05

If you know who her hairdresser is perhaps a gift voucher?

Grandmadinosaur Fri 06-Aug-21 20:26:29

One of the 80th gifts I did for my mum was a photo book with lots of family photos in. She loved it.
Does she like the theatre? I’ve received theatre tokens on several occasions.
If she likes gardening is there a rose with her name or one called 80th Birthday even?
I have a male family member who is 60 soon and I’ve been looking at helicopter flights for him. You can get flights in various lengths of time, for 1 or 2 people and also includes a glass of bubbly. Would she like something similar? Or maybe a nice afternoon tea? I don’t know many people who don’t like those!

eGJ Fri 06-Aug-21 20:37:44

We have given 80 year olds a special Wentworth jigsaw with a picture of something special to the recipient and secret Happy 80th Birthday . www.wentworthpuzzles.com other birthdays too. They have always gone down very well!,

Soroptimum Fri 06-Aug-21 20:44:39

Do you live close by? I’ve started treating friends to afternoon tea, an experience rather than another ‘thing’. She probably has all the materialistic things she needs, so create happy memories instead!

Grandmadinosaur Fri 06-Aug-21 20:45:36

I’ve just looked at those puzzles eGJ what a great idea. Wish I’d seen them last year when my sister in law was 60. She loves a jigsaw.

Soroptimum Fri 06-Aug-21 20:45:57

I meant to add - with champagne of course!

Shandy57 Fri 06-Aug-21 20:46:16

My aunt is older at 84, but she has been really enjoying making 'crystal' pictures? Not sure where you can buy them.

She has 'restless' legs and asked for the foot machine advertised on tv for Christmas - it's £300.

vegansrock Sat 07-Aug-21 06:02:44

I went with a friend on a champagne + garden tour of Highgrove she was given as a birthday gift for a 70th, I thought that was a nice present. Perhaps there is somewhere similar nearby you could investigate.

Humbertbear Sat 07-Aug-21 08:54:57

Look at Not on the High Street and Etsy.
I would second the idea of taking her out for afternoon tea. She would probably appreciate something which gives her your company rather than another object.
I received quite a lot of jewellery for my 70th - a pendant made from a farthing produced in the year of my birth; a simple bracelet with seven special beads to denote my 7 decades and a Pandora bangle with bead on chosen by each of the GC.
My mother is 100 and for years has preferred box sets of tv series.

annodomini Sat 07-Aug-21 09:17:25

For my 80th I was given a key ring with a farthing from my birth year. I decided to give a friend a similar keyring and thought Etsy would be the best place to find it and I was right. My friend was thrilled.

Shandy57 Sat 07-Aug-21 09:31:29

Good suggestion about the box sets Humbertbear - my aunt is really enjoying 'Anne with an E', based on Anne of Green Gables.

Welshwife Sat 07-Aug-21 09:43:09

I was 80 last year and was sent a Fortnum and Mason hamper of goodies. Lovely things which did not need to be eaten immediately. The hamper is very nice too.

halfpint1 Sat 07-Aug-21 09:58:28

I've started treating any one over 60
To afternoon tea often wit a voucher
Who needs 'things'?

Virginiavaginia Thu 29-Sep-22 10:03:41

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Virginiavaginia Thu 29-Sep-22 10:04:05

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Chardy Thu 29-Sep-22 10:25:59

I was going to suggest a rose for the garden or in a pot on the balcony. But actually I love the photo book idea especially if you can get old photos of her parents, her siblings when they were all young etc and an up-to-date photo of current friends and family.