Gransnet forums

Chat

Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness

(89 Posts)
NotAGran55 Thu 16-Sep-21 08:17:24

I woke to a misty morning and smiled because I love, love, love the autumn.
Possibly because I was born in the autumn or because I suit Autumn colours? Who knows ..

I love everything about it , the temperature, colours, smells , clothes , watching the harvest come in , getting stuck behind tractors included!

What is your favourite season?

Gingster Thu 16-Sep-21 08:22:06

Autumn all the way!
????

Josianne Thu 16-Sep-21 08:23:40

Definitely Autumn.

Kim19 Thu 16-Sep-21 08:24:03

Spring for me. Season of newness and promise. Autumn suggests downhill all the way for me with only some beautiful colouring to enhance it.

Grandmabatty Thu 16-Sep-21 08:24:42

I'm another autumn lover. And, like you, I was born in autumn, so that probably colours my view! I love cool, bright days that gradually warm. Crunchy leaves, conkers on strings, berries hanging heavy on trees and bushes. I love the colour of flame, orange and deep red. The smell of woodfires and mists. I'm with you on this.

seacliff Thu 16-Sep-21 08:32:43

I agree that Autumn has a beauty all of its own. I love to see the berries, hips and haws, crab apples and stunning leaf colours.

What I don't like is what is to come after. The nights are drawing in. Soon I won't be able to leave the back door open all day, and it will be dark and cold/grey/wet for soooo many months.

Spring is my favourite time of year, although this Spring was rubbish. I feel cheated.

Lucca Thu 16-Sep-21 08:39:58

Summer without a doubt.
A beautiful sunny crisp day in autumn or winter is fine but there are so many dreich dismal days !

Josianne Thu 16-Sep-21 08:55:14

I can't believe that John Keats wrote such sensual pieces like the one above (and many others) before he died aged only 25.
He hailed from my neck of the city and every year we had a poetry reciting competition to win the Keats cup. I won it reciting Ode to a Grecian Urn, but Autumn is still my favourite piece.

Anniebach Thu 16-Sep-21 09:01:31

Spring, new shoots, green leaves, lambing, soil is warming, new
beginnings

Grandmadinosaur Thu 16-Sep-21 09:02:06

Although I love carefree summer days I too am an Autumn lover. Again as it’s the season I was born I wonder if that is why.
I love the colours, the sunny crisp days and the foods of autumn.

Beechnut Thu 16-Sep-21 09:07:02

I think Autumn has a specialness about it. Yesterday there was the lovely autumnal sunshine.

timetogo2016 Thu 16-Sep-21 09:07:40

Autumn and spring all day long.

sodapop Thu 16-Sep-21 09:10:34

I agree whole heartedly Notagran Autumn is definitely my favourite season, no more horrible heat and beautiful changing countryside. I don't mind the winter either, cosy days inside with my books, brisk walks etc. It's easier now I'm retired I appreciate that, I only go out when I want to not because I have to.

GagaJo Thu 16-Sep-21 09:13:38

Autumn is looking OK here so far. But my favourite is Spring. All about new promise, hope and beginnings. Even if in the North of England all that has been promised for Summer is a big flop, the potential is there in Spring.

JackyB Thu 16-Sep-21 09:28:34

I love autumn, particularly September.

Although these days, there seems to be far less transition from summer to winter and autumn is reduced to a few days. I think it was last year when there was no September at all until about halfway through October. The leaves hadn't even started changing!.

This year the birds were already gathering on the trees and telegraph wires in August.

TillyTrotter Thu 16-Sep-21 09:29:51

Spring and Autumn are my favourites. I’m not good with very hot or very cold temperatures.

Septimia Thu 16-Sep-21 09:59:22

I prefer spring with all the new green buds and the promise of things to come. High summer is too opulent.

I dislike autumn which brings mud and soggy leaves (love crisp dry ones, though), the evenings drawing in and the migrant birds leaving.

henetha Thu 16-Sep-21 10:04:43

Me too, NotAGran55. I'm an autumn birthday girl too.
I love the fresher air, especially first thing in the mornings, and the autumn leaves. There was hazy sunshine yesterday and it was not too hot.
Each season has it's good and bad. I love our seasons.

Blossoming Thu 16-Sep-21 10:19:17

I love the soft glowing light of Autumn, much kinder on my eyes than bright summer sunshine. I do love summer heat though!

rafichagran Thu 16-Sep-21 10:22:54

Autumn for me as well. I love Winter too.

Witzend Thu 16-Sep-21 10:41:02

Season of mists and mellow ‘soupfulness’ in this house. I always enjoy making really thick, warming cold-weather soups with lots of different veg and pearl barley, etc.

Not just yet though - it’s still very mild here, and sunny this morning. Must go on a blackberry hunt later.

Lots of my little winter cyclamen are out - they have spread over the years and one is poking its little head up out of the lawn. Must remind dh not to behead it when he cuts the grass.

Witzend Thu 16-Sep-21 10:44:11

And I noticed a lot of holly berries already red on my usual walk - those that get plenty of sun anyway. I always go armed with secateurs to pick some once we’re into December, for a winter arrangement in a copper bowl which gets polished once a year for the purpose.

Grandma70s Thu 16-Sep-21 10:50:05

Autumn, very definitely. I don’t like summer because I hate heat, but spring and winter are all right. Autumn’s best, though. - exciting, somehow, though I can’t quite pin down why.l.

Casdon Thu 16-Sep-21 10:54:05

I hate winter, I don’t like the cold, or the dark and short days - except when it’s bright and frosty which seems to be very few days compared to the dank gloom. All the other seasons are beautiful in their own way. The best days for me are when it’s warm enough to sit outside in the evening, that’s like a mini holiday.

AGAA4 Thu 16-Sep-21 11:41:07

I love Autumn. The chilly mornings and evenings make walking much more pleasant than the heat of summer. Autumn colours are my favourite too. I like winter also. It feels like a cosy time when you can come home after a frosty walk to the warmth of the house.