Gransnet forums

Chat

I’m going to learn to….

(32 Posts)
Bluebellwould Fri 17-Sep-21 17:37:46

Play the harmonica! Or am I completely nuts. I’m a rather breathless person, live on my own and in danger of losing brain capacity so I thought I should do something fun and try and get healthier and exercise brain. What do you think? What fun thing would you like to do? Anything at all either fun or serious, I’m really interested in what others are doing.

Chewbacca Fri 17-Sep-21 17:43:18

Crochet

Blossoming Fri 17-Sep-21 17:48:13

Solder and enamel silver.

MiniMoon Fri 17-Sep-21 17:56:22

I asked my daughter for a kalimba for Christmas last year. I am teaching myself to play it, using number tabulation. I am going to fathom out how to read the music though.

MiniMoon Fri 17-Sep-21 18:00:02

Ps one day I may get manage to get the Blob Opera singers to sing a proper tune.
artsandculture.google.com/experiment/blob-opera/AAHWrq360NcGbw?hl=en

NanKate Fri 17-Sep-21 18:02:34

I’m learning Spanish free online. Loving it 5 mins a day for the last 18 months ?

Callistemon Fri 17-Sep-21 18:09:27

Chewbacca

Crochet

Done that!

Now I need to teach myself how to join a very large pile of crocheted squares together.
So far have tried two different ways and ripped it all out again
?

Mogsmaw Fri 17-Sep-21 18:54:25

Callistemon

Chewbacca

Crochet

Done that!

Now I need to teach myself how to join a very large pile of crocheted squares together.
?

You can crochet them together.

Bluebellwould Fri 17-Sep-21 19:48:12

Minimoon, thank you. Never heard of a Kalimba but I’ve just bought myself one! Perhaps we should form a duet and tour the country no actually the world and earn a fortune! Here’s hoping ?
Thanks for the suggestion.

Callistemon Fri 17-Sep-21 19:51:35

Mogsmaw, I've been YouTubing for days!

Double crochet results in a ridge (didn't like it, ripped it out)
Single - no, unless I make a border round each of the squares (they're all different colours!) (Didn't like that either)
I'm going to try treble next but it looks complicated, need to be alert for that ?

I think I'll go back to trying to learn the clarinet.

Callistemon Fri 17-Sep-21 19:52:28

Actually, our U3A has a ukulele group (but they're all very good).
I quite fancy that.

Tizliz Fri 17-Sep-21 20:01:50

Wine tasting

Nannagarra Fri 17-Sep-21 20:20:17

Callistemon, could join them with slipped stitches?

Peasblossom Fri 17-Sep-21 20:34:45

I learned to play a simple harmonica when somebody said that I could take it with me all over the world and have music whenever I wanted. And that it would bring me friends wherever I went. (And money if I needed it).

It was one of the best things I’ve ever done.

The hardest part was remembering when to suck and when to blow?

Westcoaster Fri 17-Sep-21 20:40:45

Oh, the kalimba looks so good! Might be tempted myself grin

I used to play the harmonica but haven't had one for many years. I'm not sure how you would learn to play it as it seemed to me that it was an instinctive instrument. Either you could play it or not? I know there are teaching books, so I am probably wrong.

I bought a keyboard after DH died and spend happy times playing (badly but slowly improving) to amuse myself when tv is bad.

Chardy Fri 17-Sep-21 20:46:32

Callistemon

Chewbacca

Crochet

Done that!

?

One way of joining crochet squares together that I was shown was to border each square with a row (or 2) of double crochet in black (several doubles in the corner stitch will get you round the corner) and join these black borders together with black double crochets or slip stitch if you prefer. I like black as it gives good definition, but obviously you can use any colour!

LtEve Fri 17-Sep-21 21:21:33

Dance. I’ve just moved and have seen dance classes advertised that don’t require a partner. DH hates dancing and I never learnt as a child due to very religious parents. Have always wanted to.

silverlining48 Fri 17-Sep-21 21:43:06

Paint and draw.

Lucca Fri 17-Sep-21 21:53:56

Tap dance and speak Russian (quite possibly at the same time)

Nannagarra Fri 17-Sep-21 22:08:38

Oh, Lucca, your info in parenthesis has made me giggle and chuckle. Thanks. ???

MiniMoon Fri 17-Sep-21 22:44:27

Bluebellwould, I'm pleased that I've inspired you. So far I can play easy tunes. The kalimba makes a pretty sound.

Bodach Fri 17-Sep-21 23:02:08

Juggling. Many years ago, I taught myself to juggle three items for a few seconds to enliven a presentation I was giving to my bosses on how I was managing (ie juggling - geddit?) my allotted budget. I recently came across the little bean-bags I had used to practise my act, and determined that I would perfect my moves again to impress the grandchildren. It's still a work in progress, shall we say....

ElderlyPerson Fri 17-Sep-21 23:11:27

www.open.ac.uk/about/open-educational-resources/openlearn/free-learning

Kswainson16 Fri 17-Sep-21 23:16:00

That sounds like a really good idea. I've lost my job due to health issues and at 61 can not really see me being employed so I have started an online Etsy shop creating digital downloadable things for people to buy , stuff like signs for doors about masks, or babysitting information for parents to fill in etc. My SO takes the mick out of me and says i should leave it to the younger ones , but I really enjoy it , its sort of useful but creative at the same time. After having a stroke i want to keep my brain working.

Kswainson16 Fri 17-Sep-21 23:17:23

i love this