Gransnet forums

Chat

Shower toilets

(27 Posts)
annsixty Wed 22-Sep-21 09:37:13

My friend has moved into an apartment and they are having some renovations done including turning a bathroom in to a luxury affair.
They are having a geberit loo installed which washes and dries you after using it.
Does anyone have one and would you like one given the option?

Oopsadaisy1 Wed 22-Sep-21 09:39:55

We had them on a flight to Dubai, I was too scared to use it at 35,000 ft but if I had been on dry land I would have given it a go !

Riverwalk Wed 22-Sep-21 09:43:31

Money no option I wouldn't mind having one but have you seen the price, up to £6000 shock

aggie Wed 22-Sep-21 09:43:36

They have had them in Japan for years , we were out and about and had the choice of squat loos of the wash and dry ones , I held on till we got back to our accommodation !
Sorry I can’t say what they are like ( either of them )

annsixty Wed 22-Sep-21 09:48:11

It will be a few days before my friend can use hers but I will report back when she does.
I have already told her I will want to “have a go” when I visit.

midgey Wed 22-Sep-21 09:53:34

My husband was given one by Occupational Health, it worked for a bit and the family certainly enjoyed testing it! Unfortunately the water pressure changed and I think that’s what broke it, the company were extremely sniffy and accused me of sabotage…….. It was removed and not replaced. The water pressure needs to be constant whereas ours does fluctuate.

Marmight Wed 22-Sep-21 09:55:29

I had something similar in a hotel in Seoul. There were so many options and all the instructions in Korean that I was just grateful to identify the flush switch. I never managed to lower the seat heat option. Overheated buttocks made the visit quicker….
I am presently weighing up the options of installing a Duravit shower bath. Also extremely expensive. I wonder if I could take it with me if I moved or is it considered ‘fixtures & fittings’ ?. Probably more economical to replace with a standard bath than to leave behind & start over at the next property ?

Marmight Wed 22-Sep-21 09:56:40

annsixty

It will be a few days before my friend can use hers but I will report back when she does.
I have already told her I will want to “have a go” when I visit.

?

henetha Wed 22-Sep-21 10:19:21

I think I'll stick to my bog standard bog. smile

DanniRae Wed 22-Sep-21 10:28:44

It sounds great - when I get a luxury bathroom fitted I will definitely have one fitted.

Many years ago I used the toilets in a bar in the Netherlands and the loo had a plastic seat cover that, when you pushed a button, 'shimmied' round so the next person had a clean plastic cover on the seat. Such a good idea!!

tanith Wed 22-Sep-21 11:13:26

My friend in the US had one it even had a heated seat, she loved it.

Bluebellwould Wed 22-Sep-21 11:17:08

If it can go to the loo for me and save me the hassle I’m all for it.

JackyB Wed 22-Sep-21 11:21:04

Those self-disnfecting toilet seats are standard in motorway rest stops here in Germany. Some go off when you open the door, some are connected to the flush.

25Avalon Wed 22-Sep-21 11:25:15

These are brilliant for disabled or elderly people who would otherwise need someone else to assist them with this function. It allows for privacy and independence.

BlueSky Wed 22-Sep-21 11:55:39

Agree 25Avalon great idea!

sodapop Wed 22-Sep-21 12:07:25

We had them installed many years ago in a residential home for adults with learning disabilities and complex needs. Quite a few residents found them intimidating and were afraid to use them. I would think they are much improved now.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 22-Sep-21 12:07:27

We are thinking about it as DH suffers from back problem and life gets difficult at times because his upper body mobility is compromised.

Santana Wed 22-Sep-21 12:19:04

From previous experience working in schools, we installed Closomat toilets for some children with disabilities.
They are expensive, and not all of the children were happy with them.
I would make sure that water pressure and temperature control are checked regularly. I saw a faulty one shoot water up in the air and take a ceiling tile off.

Atqui Wed 22-Sep-21 12:37:47

Oh No ! Instant enema!

Esspee Wed 22-Sep-21 12:51:24

I so wish I had lavatories with enough space for a bidet but drying one's self afterwards does present a problem. Perhaps Dyson do one. I must do some research on that.

kittylester Wed 22-Sep-21 15:06:26

TmWe were in a restaurant in Switzerland where there was a self disinfecting loo. It rotated through a mechanism at the back. Having had a couple of drinks, it was a touch disconcerting to watch. Xx

Parsley3 Wed 22-Sep-21 15:22:48

I had one of these bidet toilets in an apartment in Turkey. I really liked it and I want one. However, the temperature of the spray would need regulating as I wouldn’t want a cold surprise.

BeverleyJB Wed 22-Sep-21 16:59:45

We've had a Geberit shower toilet for about 2 years now - a mid-range model. It takes a few goes to get used to it but we do like it and I think it is much more hygienic.

As well as the usual shower ours also has a separate “lady wash” which is also very useful. It's also nice in winter not to have the shock of a cold seat wink.

We were able to try an demo model out at the bathroom showroom (in the customer toilets of course!) before we finally decided to take the plunge.

BeverleyJB Wed 22-Sep-21 17:01:14

Espee - the Geberit toilets dry you with warm air afterwards smile

Aldom Wed 22-Sep-21 17:01:21

Occupational health installed one of these loos for my grandson who has disabilities. They have had it about a year now. My grandson, aged 12 has had no difficulty in using it. I know of others with disabled children who have them. The children /young people regain their independence and retain their dignity.