Gransnet forums

Chat

Help - I have become my father!!

(62 Posts)
Oldwoman70 Wed 22-Sep-21 15:02:37

Listening to the radio this afternoon I heard songs by Freddie Mercury and Elton John (great), these were followed by a woman singing about her "booty" and how her friends man wanted to "be more than friends", and then a man rapping that his "bitch" was his "personal slut". Found myself thinking "they call this music" - which is exactly what my father used to say about the music I listened to!

I know different generations inevitably like different music and I do like some modern music but I have to say I find lyrics like this turn me into my father!

Trisha57 Wed 22-Sep-21 15:08:41

Do you remember the "SingalongaMax" LPs by Max Bygraves? I often wonder if, when I'm mouldering in a care home somewhere, they will start a "SingalongaT.Rex" sing-song to keep us all entertained!

midgey Wed 22-Sep-21 15:37:38

Ha ha Trisha! That made me laugh out loud.

Sara1954 Wed 22-Sep-21 15:48:18

My dad loved ‘sing something simple’
I still remember the opening music.

VioletSky Wed 22-Sep-21 15:48:32

I started saying "it's just noise" and switched radio station several years ago lol

Sara1954 Wed 22-Sep-21 16:04:42

I spend a lot of time with one of my grandchildren, aged twelve, I’m shocked and saddened by some of the stuff she watches and listens to, but I’ve decided I’m way out of touch, and that’s the way things are now.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 22-Sep-21 16:32:36

Same here. I’m obviously what we used to call ‘square’ in the 60s. Perhaps we could have SingalongaDireStraits as well, and a few others? All played very loud because of our duff hearing. ‘Music While You Moulder’? We could rattle our false teeth in time to what we call music! (Not that I have dentures I hasten to add!)

ElderlyPerson Wed 22-Sep-21 16:38:52

Sara1954

My dad loved ‘sing something simple’
I still remember the opening music.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcgEWhdsKlc

62Granny Wed 22-Sep-21 16:51:56

I listen to Gold on the car radio and find myself singing along to most records, I was thinking today that it is surprising how many songs I do know.
I don't like rap music either but never liked things like Black Sabbath or Heavy Metal in the day either. I had a scan last year and was asked what music I wanted on the headphones they put on you, I said pop will do ( thinking I would get what they play on the radio) no it was RAP it was worse than listening to the thump of the machine.

Blossoming Wed 22-Sep-21 16:52:35

Singalonga Foo Fighters please! Plus for disco fans there’s their Hail Satin album of Bee Gees covers.

(Seriously, for YouTube fans you should definitely give the Foos’ live cover of Shadow Dancing a listen)

youtu.be/7o5n5SpWEwQ

It’s my latest earworm and now it can be yours too grin

Sara1954 Wed 22-Sep-21 17:00:34

Elderlyperson
Oh that takes me back to Sunday nights, my dad in his chair with his pipe, singing along.
Simple pleasures.

V3ra Wed 22-Sep-21 17:09:44

Trisha57

Do you remember the "SingalongaMax" LPs by Max Bygraves? I often wonder if, when I'm mouldering in a care home somewhere, they will start a "SingalongaT.Rex" sing-song to keep us all entertained!

Ooh yes please to TRex! I'd be word-perfect ?

Teacheranne Wed 22-Sep-21 17:59:34

Trisha57

I reckon they will, maybe some Queen hits as well! My mum is in a care home, she was born in 1932 but hates all the war time songs they sing there! As she was 13 when the war ended, I doubt that she was a fan of them first time around! In fact I cannot remember her ever listening to music or the radio when I lived at home yet the home insist on having background music on for most of the day - do “ that bloody noise” as she calls it!

Maggiemaybe Wed 22-Sep-21 18:57:47

Our honeymoon was a last minute coach trip to Llandudno - we’d coppered up and realised we could (just) afford to go away after all. Everyone else on the coach was at least as old as I am now and the constant musical accompaniment for the whole week was SingalongaMax. Half the coach party were hard of hearing and kept asking for it to be turned up.

I look forward in my turn to driving young people slowly mad with SingalongaDireStraits on a loop.

Sara1954 Wed 22-Sep-21 19:12:59

My dad was also a fan of Gracie Fields, if I never hear her voice again it will be too soon!

Jaxjacky Wed 22-Sep-21 19:49:56

I’d think people would be surprised at the meaning of some lyrics from the 70’s and 80’s, not so innocent for a sing along in hindsight!

Galaxy Wed 22-Sep-21 19:58:32

To be fair a friends man wanting to be more than friends is the basis of a lot of songs since way back, if you dont like that you would have to get rid of the entire country and western genre just for starters.

Lilypops Wed 22-Sep-21 20:04:35

Sing something simple as time goes by. Was always on m6 Dads car radio on Sunday as we all drove back from a lovely day in Llandudno. Oh happy memories.
P.s. I love TRex. It’s on my. car playlist. Jeepster is a favourite ?

MerylStreep Wed 22-Sep-21 20:05:53

My parents were born in 1923 but we never had any Gracie Fields or Max Bygraves, although my dad knew him.
They were big party people where I was the DJ winding up the gramophone and putting on the records.
All of the music was the latest from America. I remember going with my mum to buy Rock around the clock where you were given the record to take into a little booth to listen to.

Sara1954 Wed 22-Sep-21 20:24:35

I never bought a record, I don’t think I’ve ever really bought a record, I never had a record player.
My dad had a radiogram thing, was it called that??? anyway, we wouldn’t have been allowed to use it.
The first ever record I ever owned was ‘Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy’ bought by my boyfriend, now husband.

lemsip Wed 22-Sep-21 20:29:34

when i was a child, an old man up the road gave us some very old records one was called....'Aint it grand to be blimming well dead'.

MerylStreep Wed 22-Sep-21 20:34:33

Sara1954
Did your father play records on the radiogram ?

Sara1954 Wed 22-Sep-21 20:36:35

My great aunt and uncle had a record player of sorts, the records were tin and my cousin and I were allowed to play with them.
It was a god awful racket.

MerylStreep Wed 22-Sep-21 20:38:19

Something we have to look at is the 2,000+ cd’s in the loft.
I stopped counting at that figure when we last moved.

MerylStreep Wed 22-Sep-21 20:40:24

Sara1954
I had no idea there was such a thing.