Gransnet forums

Chat

Why talk about xmas in September!

(187 Posts)
Bea65 Fri 24-Sep-21 12:38:00

Sorry going for cover but CANNOT stand chat about the December event in September/October or November..just causes more anxiety..am in a minority or majority?

Smileless2012 Fri 24-Sep-21 12:39:48

It's annoying isn't it Bea. I love Christmas but don't think about it until December.

Namsnanny Fri 24-Sep-21 12:42:20

But it's a case of live and let live isnt it?

Early Fri 24-Sep-21 12:42:23

Not at all. Popped into my local food store yesterday evening. Big display of mince pies by the till. The young assistant and I exchanged looks. I know ... , he said wearily.

Galaxy Fri 24-Sep-21 12:42:40

To be honest if I didnt have some discussion in Sept about Christmas, the activities that I want to book would all be booked up.

Blossoming Fri 24-Sep-21 12:50:24

If you can’t stand chat about Christmas why have you started a chat thread about Christmas chat?

Witzend Fri 24-Sep-21 12:51:07

Why not just ignore any C-word related posts if they bother you, especially any on the dedicated C-word thread? Some of us do like it, and start preparing early, especially if we’re making things/preparing food etc. well in advance, or if we have a lot of presents to buy.

I get fed up with all the (to me) very tedious threads banging on about Boris/Brexit/Tories/Boris/Brexit/Tories so despite being a Remainer and certainly no fan of Boris, I generally ignore them. Or at least I don’t comment to say I wish people would refrain from posting them.

Nannan2 Fri 24-Sep-21 12:52:23

I love christmas- its just all the prep/wrapping/planning i dislike.?I always get mini mince pies as soon as they come out, as to me, that, and the start of xmas movies channel, is where it begins! Then i make my lists and collect gifts till december.So i don't go too OTT. But then december flies by and ive to do all the wrapping in a hurry! ?

Nannan2 Fri 24-Sep-21 12:54:11

Blossoming-???

Nannan2 Fri 24-Sep-21 12:56:17

And Galaxy is right- if you don't book certain things ahead they get full up quickly.

Bea65 Fri 24-Sep-21 12:56:26

Blossomingcouldn't help myself could I? its other people's stress about it in September!!

Witzend Fri 24-Sep-21 13:01:33

It’s the same on MN BTW - there’s a very active Christmas thread on there, and yet the other day someone still came on to a dedicated thread to have a good old moan about anyone mentioning it in September at all.

I don’t know about anyone else, but to me the year positively whizzes by once we’re into late September, and I no longer want to be doing and buying everything during the last 3 weeks or so - as I once did, usually including a major wrapping session around midnight on the 24th.

Kim19 Fri 24-Sep-21 13:04:59

I simply don't mind whether Christmas is mentioned or not. Doesn't make a whit of difference to me. Much more to get excited about in my little life. Do enjoy it on the day though but that's because off the company I'll be keeping.

Grandmabatty Fri 24-Sep-21 13:09:19

I am on a restricted budget so Christmas starts whenever I begin to buy presents. September is a good month for me to begin. I've already bought a few gifts. If you don't like people discussing Christmas then ignore the posts.

annsixty Fri 24-Sep-21 13:16:48

My GD, her friend and I have our Christmas lunch booked already.
Only managed to be squeezed in as we are only 3.
Several popular venues already booked up.
If I were to be completely truthful it is not my choice to go out on Christmas Day, we did it last year for the first time ever but with a dysfunctional family it is the easiest thing to do.

lemongrove Fri 24-Sep-21 13:33:06

Blossoming

If you can’t stand chat about Christmas why have you started a chat thread about Christmas chat?

? good point.

lemongrove Fri 24-Sep-21 13:36:41

I don’t start thinking of C until November when I make C cakes, order presents and cards, but am happy to see mince pies or any other C goodies in the shops, doesn’t bother me at all.
We have a fairly low key Christmas in any case.

midgey Fri 24-Sep-21 13:39:59

I agree with Grandmabatty, if you have limited income it’s common sense to to spread the costs.

Sara1954 Fri 24-Sep-21 13:42:36

I realise a lot of people need to budget, and if you want to see shows or go to events you do need to think about booking.
But my grandson has come home from school this week singing songs for their nativity, and yesterday he said they had started on their Christmas cards, that really is madness.

Spice101 Fri 24-Sep-21 13:51:11

Each to their own, in my case it is necessary to get everyone sorted out as to what, where and when. That takes time to plan and arrange. As with many things the planning is part of the fun.

Obviously Christmas there I said the word is not a great time for some people and they don't want to think about it but that is no different than other posts that may be upsetting for other posters.

Grandmadinosaur Fri 24-Sep-21 13:52:33

I’m one who buys a present throughout the year if I see something suitable for a certain person. Rather that than scratching my head and buying something in that last minute panic just because “it will do”.

I also do not want to be around the shops after the first week of December it’s too busy.
This year we have a grandchild due just before the big day anyway and we will be on call for childcare a fair bit due to Covid rules and only ds being allowed to visit as mummy (dil) will be in hospital for a few weeks before and after.
I really do need to be organised this year.

What annoys me is people ( I know of one) who post memes on FB with the days to Christmas countdown in something like July ? . Definitely a hide this post for me.
Each to his own.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 24-Sep-21 14:32:22

I was in M&S yesterday, purchased Christmas biscuits and sweets along with Christmas decorated kitchen rolls and toilet rolls (I know, the AC and GC laugh at my festive loo)

Have been buying books, puzzles and a few games over last few months, I have eight GC and two nieces to buy for along with five AC, their partners, my sister and brother-in-law. I like to everything to be wrapped, cards sent, puddings, cake, sausage rolls, stuffing, cranberry sauce and mice pies all made and where necessary frozen by the first weekend in December. Then I can sit back and enjoy the festive season.

grannyactivist Fri 24-Sep-21 14:39:51

I have a large family and without a discussion in September we simply wouldn't be able to organise the events around the Christmas period. This year my sons and their families are coming to stay, my lovely daughter-in-law is coming as soon as school breaks up, and I have been told they're going to do all the shopping and cooking. They're really handy in the kitchen and each has a speciality or two so I'm terribly excited. grin

Judy54 Fri 24-Sep-21 14:43:20

I tend to buy gifts throughout the year especially if we have been on holiday pre-covid and I get my eye on something unusual, so much nicer than buying from chain stores. Usually don't think about where we will be spending Christmas and food shopping until nearer the time. However this Year we are treating ourselves to Christmas day lunch at a lovely restaurant and have already booked as it is always popular. We are looking forward to indulging ourselves spending some of the money we would normally have spent on a holiday.

Josianne Fri 24-Sep-21 14:49:46

I've had carefully organised Christmases and last minute Christmases. Christmas abroad and Christmas ill in bed. They come and go.
I agree with Spice that the planning is part of the fun, so whatever happens on the day I will at least have enjoyed the build up. I don't do anxiety.