Gransnet forums

Chat

Which countries don't allow against the flow road side parking

(35 Posts)
infoman Sun 26-Sep-21 17:40:48

I know Australia do not allow against the flow of traffic parking,execept in a dead ends and cul-de-sac's.
Are their any other countries that do not allow against the flow of traffic parking?

annodomini Sun 26-Sep-21 18:29:34

New Zealand, likewise, doesn't allow parking against the flow of traffic.

freedomfromthepast Sun 26-Sep-21 18:36:50

USA

silverlining48 Sun 26-Sep-21 18:49:46

Am in the uk and have not heard of this. Assume we can park whatever direction we want to. Unless someone comes after to contradict.

Aldom Sun 26-Sep-21 19:10:39

Rule 248 In the UK You MUST NOT park on a road at night facing against the direction of the traffic flow unless in a recognised parking space.
I've been aware of this rule for over forty years as unfortunately, when visiting my in laws for the weekend we forgot to turn the car round in the evening. The following morning there was a ticket on the windscreen. We had quite a hefty fine.

welbeck Sun 26-Sep-21 19:17:37

i seem to remember that side lights would be left on if parked against the oncoming traffic, but haven't seen that for years.
is there a definition of a recognised parking space.

welbeck Sun 26-Sep-21 19:19:37

where i live, every night vehicles are parked in both directions on either side of the road.
and i see this everywhere else.
so wondered what a recognised parking space might be.
these vehicles are not ticketed.

Cold Sun 26-Sep-21 19:37:47

I once got a ticket in a village in rural Sweden for this.

Shrub Sun 26-Sep-21 21:28:21

We were reprimanded by a cop in Massachusetts for parking against the flow. Scary.

Kali2 Sun 26-Sep-21 21:34:19

In towns near me, it is not allowed, and only one side of the road is allowed for parking. alternate weeks.

annodomini Sun 26-Sep-21 22:08:21

The road outside my house has cars parked all down one side but not by any means all facing in the same direction.

infoman Mon 27-Sep-21 05:45:45

Sorry to every one else about the double posting,I pressed the start conversation,the computer froze and I ended up with the computer posting twice,not intended.
If I knew how to delete a post or request that it be merged,I would have done.

FannyCornforth Mon 27-Sep-21 06:02:44

Hello infoman
Not to worry.
You can ‘report ‘ your own post by clicking on three little dots red dots at the bottom right of a post.
The option to report it will pop up, and you can ask HQ to delete one of the threads.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 27-Sep-21 06:27:23

My DH - then boyfriend got a ticket for facing the car the wrong way when parking. That was back in the mid-60s. Cars park any old how now including on the pavement.

infoman Mon 27-Sep-21 08:53:54

GrandmaKT Sun 26-Sep-21 18:25:36

New Zealand
Add comment | Report | Private message | Quote
Sago Sun 26-Sep-21 19:45:04

Why ask such a question?
Kali2 Sun 26-Sep-21 19:54:27

To my mind, it should be illegal everywhere.
MayBeMaw Sun 26-Sep-21 19:59:09

You’ve started two threads on this topic infoman and I’m sure I’m not alone on wondering “Why?” - unless you are planning to go on Mastermind/Who Wants to be a Millionaire /your local pub quiz!
Mollygo Sun 26-Sep-21 20:58:04

In towns and cities in France, Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Russia and any other places where there is a dual carriageway.
Nonogran Sun 26-Sep-21 21:04:06

I do believe it’s not allowed in Florida.

MayBeMaw Mon 27-Sep-21 08:58:55

Why do you ask?
And why on two separate threads?
There must be something else to think about on a wet Monday with a national fuel distribution problem, the country still in the throes of a pandemic, empty supermarket shelves and the world hurtling into an environmental crisis.

Calendargirl Mon 27-Sep-21 09:05:25

MayBeMaw

Why do you ask?
And why on two separate threads?
There must be something else to think about on a wet Monday with a national fuel distribution problem, the country still in the throes of a pandemic, empty supermarket shelves and the world hurtling into an environmental crisis.

OP has accidentally started 2 posts, as mentioned earlier.

MayBeMaw Mon 27-Sep-21 09:15:20

I see that now - but despite quoting assorted responses, OP has not said “hey”.
On the other thread he refers to taking part in the conversation - what conversation?

JackyB Mon 27-Sep-21 11:06:46

It's not allowed in Germany (surprise! Surprise!) I didn't know this because I didn't have to take a test when I moved here, I just had to get an official translation of my UK driving licence.

My husband told me though, and I have never dared do it!

What I was amazed about when I first moved here was that cars always parked with 2 wheels on the pavement. Sometimes the parking spaces are even marked out for parking half on the pavement, half on the road.

infoman Mon 27-Sep-21 17:32:03

MayBeMaw
May I ask what the "hey" refers too?

I can't understand what you are saying in
On the other thread he refers to taking part in the conversation - what conversation?
please explain.

MayBeMaw Mon 27-Sep-21 19:03:55

My apology. Typo for why

MayBeMaw Mon 27-Sep-21 19:05:18

And unsurprisingly you have not yet had the courtesy to answer that question “Why.”

growstuff Mon 27-Sep-21 19:11:22

It's against the Highway Code to park against the traffic flow:

www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/parking.html

I have no idea how long the rule has been there. I passed my driving test in 1972 and I remember being told not to park against the traffic flow.

MayBeMaw Mon 27-Sep-21 19:16:15

infoman

MayBeMaw
May I ask what the "hey" refers too?

I can't understand what you are saying in
please explain.

And on the other (deleted) thread you suggested to sago that she need not read your posts if she didn’t want to take part in the conversation.

I ask again “What conversation” ?

welbeck Mon 27-Sep-21 19:25:30

JackyB, there are parking areas marked out like that here in London, with a dashed white line about 2 feet onto the kerb, with the rest of the box on the carriageway.
so it shews that one can park with two wheels up on the footway, which otherwise would incur a penalty.
used in narrow roads, where otherwise emergency vehicles might not be able to pass.