Gransnet forums

Chat

Bad tempered people and petrol queues.

(137 Posts)
Namsnanny Mon 27-Sep-21 19:21:31

Whilst sat in the forecourt of the petrol station, waiting to fill up, we've had 3 different people come up to the open window to hurl abuse at us! Why?

"F**** ridiculous, F**** idiot" said one accompanied with a few hand gestures.
Which to be honest I couldn't help but laugh out loud at, out of shock. At first I didn't realise he was meaning us.
Until he came up to the window (now closed) and said it again.

Then a women came along side and said could we move as she needed to get petrol? I pointed out there were bollards stopping anyone from entering the garage as the tanker was filling the pumps.
To which she said she was an off duty nurse and shouldn't have to waste her time queueing, so could we move?
I pointed out we were jammed in by her car behind, and the bollards in front.
Plus, she was second in the queue, so sorry but we were all in the same boat!!
She glared for a few seconds then stomped off.

A couple thought it was their prerogative to come up to the passenger window to enlighten us, that if we thought we were going to get any petrol we would be lucky, (even though they could clearly see the tanker delivering fuel for themselves).
Said we should have topped up earlier, then left clearly enjoying their clever repartee, and giggling at our perceived misfortune.

It was a sunny day and lots of people were out and about, and should have been enjoying themselves. Clearly not but why the open hostility?
Have I missed something?

BTW we have filled up there before, and we were on our normal shopping routine.

Lincslass Mon 27-Sep-21 19:42:26

If a tanker was emptying into the tanks, for safety reasons the forecourt has to be closed under ACOP and should be done under DSEAR guidelines. Very dangerous not to do so and can be reported to the relevant authorities, ie Police and Local Health and Safety.

AGAA4 Mon 27-Sep-21 19:44:44

People seem to be more aggressive now. My poor neighbour who is disabled had abuse hurled at her for parking in the disabled bay.

Namsnanny Mon 27-Sep-21 20:03:34

AGAA4 Thats terrible. I presume someone else wanted the space, and thought they were more needy?

Well exactly Lincslass so not really anything to do with any perceived fuel shortage. But that was how it seemed to be viewed by others.
It didn't make any sense at the time or now.

SueDonim Mon 27-Sep-21 20:14:36

We bought fuel today. Everything was calm and no unpleasantness that I saw, even though some of the pumps weren’t working.

Sarnia Tue 28-Sep-21 08:30:59

I was in a very long queue on Sunday, waiting for fuel. The gauge was teetering on red, so I needed to fill up. I was amused by a gentleman sitting on a fold-up picnic chair on a small island at the junction of 3 roads. He seemed perfectly content and I daresay he was getting some entertainment from all these petrol crazy drivers around him. I wondered why he couldn't find something better to do on a Sunday lunchtime rather than sit amongst heavy traffic inhaling all the fumes.

JackieBee1 Tue 28-Sep-21 10:01:06

Disgusting behaviour.
(Them, not you!)

TerriBull Tue 28-Sep-21 10:13:52

There was a picture yesterday of a woman filling up numerous plastic containers, which I gather shouldn't contain petrol anyway, holding everyone up behind, and presumably after she had filled the tank of her vehicle as well. Really selfish "I'm alright Jack" behaviour which is bound to make even the calmest people bad tempered.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 28-Sep-21 10:31:13

A lot of people are on edge. The Pandemic is not going away any time soon, Brexit is not proving the wonderful exercise it was supposed to be, fears of another ruined Christmas … and I’m afraid that some people just don’t have the wherewithal to be patient.

GagaJo Tue 28-Sep-21 10:34:06

An ex student of mine, now a nurse, has been driving around this morning after coming off night-shift, looking for petrol. I feel sorry for her having to do this, after working a 12 hour shift. And if she can't get petrol, she won't be able to get to work tonight.

Own goal, Brexit.

Dottynan Tue 28-Sep-21 10:40:43

Joined a queue of about twenty cars yesterday. When we got to he head of the queue there were bollards across the forecourt with a gap for one car. Assistant checking all petrol pumps and told us which one to go, when free. So so civilised and working so well. No anxiety. Well done Sainsburys.

Namsnanny Tue 28-Sep-21 10:41:27

According to the papers it's very localised SueDonim.
Sarnia Thinking of him sat there made me chuckle. Perhaps he was collecting information for an organisation about the problem?
I dont know, but some people seem extraordinarily cross or interested.

The behaviour towards us was definitely worrying jackiebeel

I'm wondering how much the press is to blame for winding the situation up TerriBull?
As SueDonim pointed out, there could just be a few hot spots of slow service.

JaneJudge Tue 28-Sep-21 10:45:00

I blame social media to a certain degree. I have seen so many angry posts on the local facebook pages about ho is more deserving of fuel etc

s for the photos of people filling up plastic bottles, aren't the petrol station breaking their own legal guidelines allowing this?

JaneJudge Wed 29-Sep-21 07:45:49

Did you see that bloke in South East London who pulled a knife? and then threw himself on the persons (should I call him a victim?) car? shock sad there is some crazy stuff going on

VioletSky Wed 29-Sep-21 08:02:51

My husband saw a woman dump out her drink to fill the container with petrol. Would have gotten her an extra couple of miles I suppose.

Absolutely bafflingand ridiculous behaviour from the British public as per usual.

He filled his tank as normal and will thankfully be able to get into work tomorrow but it was a close one. He left the house running on fumes and hope and wouldn't have made it back if there wasn't any.

ayse Wed 29-Sep-21 08:09:16

All this may be a short term issue but the government just sits on its hands! Too little and far too late. They knew that Brexit and Labour shortages would cause us problems and should have contingency plans in place to be acted upon rapidly. Instead, ordinary people are blamed for causing shortages encouraged by hype in the media.

To date we have had toilet rolls and some food shortages, medicines, gas supply and now fuel problems. How much more is coming down the road? It seems a recipe for more aggression and anarchy, whilst the government sits in its ivory tower, raking in their salaries and doing little to calm the situation.

I’m sorry the OP has had to experience this behaviour. We haven’t even tried to find fuel yet but DH is taking the car out today to go fishing! As we only have a quarter of a tank, I would have preferred him to give up his fishing. What if we need the car for an emergency? It’s just another bit of thoughtlessness!

Lincslass Wed 29-Sep-21 08:16:27

Toilet roll and many other shortages were caused by people being greedy and taking more than they needed, but don’t listen to the manufacturers who said there was more than enough, and was replenished overnight , but hey ho put it down to driver shortage, I’ll tell you now, my family observed the same in Germany. I myself saw a man with a large trolley filled to the brim with 9 pack toilet rolls. Don’t tell me people like him didn’t cause problems, I told him so too.

Shelbel Wed 29-Sep-21 08:18:37

What a shambles. Watching from the sidelines it seems a little like those apocalypse tv/films where people start attacking one another over resources. Or that 70s TV show 'survivors'. I find it rather frightening to be honest. Although, the government are not handling it well, as usual.

NotSpaghetti Wed 29-Sep-21 08:29:30

TerriBull

There was a picture yesterday of a woman filling up numerous plastic containers, which I gather shouldn't contain petrol anyway, holding everyone up behind, and presumably after she had filled the tank of her vehicle as well. Really selfish "I'm alright Jack" behaviour which is bound to make even the calmest people bad tempered.

Did you speak to her?
If not, could she (or a family member/friend/neighbour) maybe have a car they need actually stranded somewhere?

I daren't take my car out to get fuel now as it's so low. My 4 local stations are all without fuel and have been empty for days. If there's no petrol close to home soon my husband will have to take a can to one further away to help me out!
I know I can't get to an out-of-area one without putting in more fuel first!
I have a long journey next week.

Obviously using unsafe containers is foolish but let's not be too quick to judge people.

ayse Wed 29-Sep-21 08:33:34

Shelbel

What a shambles. Watching from the sidelines it seems a little like those apocalypse tv/films where people start attacking one another over resources. Or that 70s TV show 'survivors'. I find it rather frightening to be honest. Although, the government are not handling it well, as usual.

Me too. It shows how rapidly society degenerates.

Sarnia Wed 29-Sep-21 09:03:02

My son-in-law has a short video on his phone from someone filming a lady trying to tie up the handles of a carrier bag two-thirds full of petrol. Sadly the video stops before it shows her attempting to lift it. I would have liked to have seen her attempting that.

NotSpaghetti Wed 29-Sep-21 09:08:21

Sarnia shockshockshock

VioletSky Wed 29-Sep-21 09:20:37

Shelbel I remember my eldest son thinking that the behaviour in those films was fantastical.

It really isn't, it doesn't take much more than fear to push a human mind over the edge into primitive survivalist behaviour.

I tried to save a girl from drowning once and she just climbed up my body and pushed me under. Her panic nearly killed us both. She wasn't really in control of herself any more.

Sometimes I daydream about building my own bunker somewhere just in case but to protect myself from other people, not a lack of loo roll lol

Shirlb Wed 29-Sep-21 10:57:41

Sign of the times unfortunately ?

Shirlb Wed 29-Sep-21 10:59:18

If you’re a believer or not lot of small sighs of end of us all ??