Gransnet forums

Chat

Beautiful cat

(20 Posts)
travelsafar Sat 16-Oct-21 12:08:25

I have recently had a beautiful fluffy white and grey cat visiting my garden. She/he accepts treats from me and today she/he tried to come in the back door. I felt awful shutting the door on the cat but i dont really want to encourage this. I am happy for her to come into the garden but no more. Or should i stop putting out the treats and ban her altogether?

tanith Sat 16-Oct-21 12:33:27

Definitely stop the treats cats aren’t loyal creatures and will go where they get the most comfort/food you don’t want to unwittingly entice someone’s beloved pet away. If she stops visiting as there are no longer treats then you’ll know she was just looking for greener grass ?

Kate1949 Sat 16-Oct-21 12:38:10

It's very kind of you and hard to resist I know. However, my neighbour was feeding a cat and the owner found out and was furious. She said the cat was on a special diet and because of my neighbour she would no longer be letting the cat out. We have this appealing face every now and then but so far I have resisted its charms.

Kate1949 Sat 16-Oct-21 12:39:04

Oops picture didn't load.

Kate1949 Sat 16-Oct-21 12:39:48

Oh yes it did grin

MissAdventure Sat 16-Oct-21 12:42:11

I love that photo! smile

Kestrel Sat 16-Oct-21 12:43:06

It must be very hard to resist that little face Kate !

Kate1949 Sat 16-Oct-21 12:44:58

It is indeed. I've posted it before. He/she rolls about, trying to look more enticing!

VioletSky Sat 16-Oct-21 12:47:05

Please don't feed other people's cats. Unless they look clearly underweight and dirty/feral it's not a good idea.

The worry people go through when their pets don't come home at the usual times is horrible. I also have a cat with food allergies and have had to make all locals aware of this because feeding him causes allergic dermatitis, which causes sore skin and hairloss which costs me a lot of money and causes him a lot of discomfort. He gets depressed if he isn't allowed out to sunbathe so it puts me in a impossible situation.

MissAdventure Sat 16-Oct-21 12:47:09

He'll wear you down eventually.

Kate1949 Sat 16-Oct-21 12:50:19

I'll keep resisting MissA. It helps my willpower that my husband doesn't like cats. Or rather what they do to the garden. I sometimes go out and give him a bit of fuss. The cat not my husband. grin

MissAdventure Sat 16-Oct-21 13:00:04

smile
He really is lovely.
Again, the cat, not your husband, although I'm sure he's very nice too.

Charleygirl5 Sat 16-Oct-21 13:05:48

My cat had been fed prescription food for many years and was thriving on it. A few years ago she stopped eating her supper when she arrived home for the night and I suspected she was being fed and she slowly became unwell. I discovered in January, a few days before she was put to sleep that she had been spending the days in a house close by and returned home for a night's sleep.

If you suspect the minx has another home, you are not helping the cat or the owner- it is torture waiting for an animal to return, not knowing if they are unwell, had an accident or found a better offer.

SueDonim Sat 16-Oct-21 13:15:06

You could ask on your local FB pages if anyone owns the cat or if they think it’s a stray. Such cats regularly feature on my local FB and there are several repeat offender cats who appear to visit half the homes in a neighbourhood, like Six Dinner Sid. People online are now familiar with their antics, so someone will post a photo of a sad-face cat and someone else will pop up and say, Oh, that’s Buttons, he lives at 103 Anywhere Street, don’t worry, he’s got a good home. grin

Try attaching a paper collar, you might get an answer that way. www.cats.org.uk/croydon/news/paper-collars-for-stray-cats

kircubbin2000 Sat 16-Oct-21 16:04:48

Not my cat is at the window every day.If the window is open he steals my cat food. The owners only feed him twice a day and he is hungry but I dont feed him. Very handsome boy.

Kate1949 Sat 16-Oct-21 17:37:13

He's a beauty kircubbin

dahlia Sat 16-Oct-21 17:41:38

Lovely to see a mention of "Six Dinner Sid", Sue Donim! I bought this book for my granddaughters, one of whom has a daughter of her own now. They later had a cat which they called Sid, and that phrase has entered the family vocabulary!

Audi10 Sat 16-Oct-21 17:42:48

I am a massive cat lover but wouldn’t feed him or give treats only because I wouldn’t know whether he she was on a special diet etc,

Ethelwashere1 Sat 16-Oct-21 18:53:41

Lovely cat. Ive got 4 so im a bit soppy about cats

annodomini Sat 16-Oct-21 19:14:47

My DDS1 is soppy about cats. He has a regular visitor who comes and mews at the back door and I must admit he does provide cat treats. His partner is allergic so the cat is not allowed to come it sad. When he was on holiday recently, what did he send me a picture of? Not the scenery or the buildings, but a cat!