Gransnet forums

Chat

Asked to remove spider ( Halloween plastic one)

(40 Posts)
Audi10 Sat 16-Oct-21 17:38:17

My friend loves Halloween and had fixed a plastic spider at the very end of her checkout where customers would tap their loyalty card, her supervisor came along and asked her to remove it as not everyone would be happy to see a huge spider, although I don’t have a problem with spiders plastic or otherwise I could understand why she had been asked to remove it, she thought it was all a big fuss over nothing, What do you think Gransnetters?

crazyH Sat 16-Oct-21 17:45:04

Here’s a real one found in my bath. I got it to crawl onto a newspaper and then threw it out of the window - I thought I was very brave ?

crazyH Sat 16-Oct-21 17:46:37

And to answer your question - yes, I can understand why she was asked to remove it …

Grandmabatty Sat 16-Oct-21 17:47:59

My daughter has a severe phobia of spiders so she wouldn't be happy with that. She'd probably go to a different checkout though. So I can understand why she was asked to remove it.

Kali2 Sat 16-Oct-21 17:51:02

How do people develop thos phobias, I wonder always.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 16-Oct-21 17:51:43

Some people might have been frightened so it was right to remove it. I’m sure she can find a suitable decoration which won’t scare anyone. CrazyH you should get a spider catcher from Lakeland, I couldn’t manage without mine. You were very brave indeed.

NotTooOld Sat 16-Oct-21 17:54:26

crazyH - you were definitely brave! Well done.

Grandmabatty Sat 16-Oct-21 17:54:30

Kali2 my daughter has had this phobia since she was very small when her big brother put an enormous fake spider in her bed! She tries very hard not to show fear if there's a real one about as she doesn't want her son to have a phobia.

DillytheGardener Sat 16-Oct-21 17:54:50

Germanshepherdsmum what is a spider catcher and how does it work

SueDonim Sat 16-Oct-21 19:05:58

I wouldn’t be happy to see a spider in a shop. Even when I know they’re fake, like the ones I saw on sale in a pack the other day, they give me the heebie-jeebies. ?

Tonight my dd went to put a cream-coloured throw around her and there was a massive dead spider stuck to it, which looked v much like a fake one. Lots of screaming took place. ?

welbeck Sat 16-Oct-21 19:22:53

the checkout asst sounds a bit lacking in understanding, or just has an obstreperous personality.
not good employee material.
initially not having considered possible consequences is one thing, but refusing to take on board those concerns is another.

Grandmagrim Sat 16-Oct-21 19:58:47

I went for a little nap this afternoon (something I’m known to do) only to find a ‘spider’ under the duvet. Bravely I tested it for signs of ever having lived and thankfully found none. Some time later the guilty culprit (aged 7) gave a very giggly to her mum. Keeping my own face straight was tricky too smile

Grandmagrim Sat 16-Oct-21 19:59:18

Giggly confession.

Beechnut Sat 16-Oct-21 20:15:08

There’s a massive one hanging on a nail in the loft. My daughter bought it from a car boot when she was a little girl and used to tie a piece of string around it and take it for a walk. ?

rubysong Sat 16-Oct-21 21:41:52

Spiders are no problem to me but if there was a plastic snake I wouldn't be happy so I sympathise. We do have two quite large plastic rats about the place, I can't really say why. One is in DH's workshop and the other on a bookcase in the hall. They squeak and amuse the DGC.

Septimia Sat 16-Oct-21 21:59:49

rubysong, I'm with you! A spider wouldn't bother me but I can understand how some people would be upset by it because even a plastic snake would make it difficult for me to use that checkout.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 17-Oct-21 15:42:54

DillytheGardener

Germanshepherdsmum what is a spider catcher and how does it work

Dilly it’s a long plastic tube with a battery operated suction motor in a handle at one end and the other end open, put the open end over the spider and press the trigger in the handle and it gets sucked into the bottom of the tube. Or in my case, approach with the battery already running. Then you run, shrieking, to the window or door, in my case still operating the battery though that isn’t necessary, stop pressing the trigger and tip the beast outside, unharmed. I keep one upstairs and one downstairs! ?

SachaMac Sun 17-Oct-21 16:07:27

I’m terrified of spiders so think I would scream if I glimpsed a spider at the checkout, even though it was plastic. I’ve been known to jump out of my skin at the sight of a tomato stalk thinking it’s a spider out of the corner of my eye!
I def need a spider catcher, had some very large & fast ones appearing from nowhere in the lounge recently and as much as I hate them I don’t like killing them.

timetogo2016 Sun 17-Oct-21 16:15:35

I have always been frightened of spiders as daft as it sounds,so i would have run a mile if i saw one at a checkout.
My legs just go to jelly .

Callistemon Sun 17-Oct-21 16:29:16

I was reading in bed the other night when suddenly a spider abseiled down from the ceiling and stopped about two inches from my nose! He was quite large. We looked at each other then I knocked him with the back of my hand and I don't know where he went!
Normally I might have rescued him and put him outside but he did make me jump. He might be lurking under the bed now ? hmm

ElaineI Sun 17-Oct-21 18:42:29

Nothing against spiders but the supervisor was right. Many shops have visors up and till areas should be kept free from anything which prevents them being wiped down. We are still wearing masks in shops. Many shops have Halloween decorations up but not where they prevent cleaning or could be sneezed, handled by children etc.

DillytheGardener Sun 17-Oct-21 22:32:46

germanshepherdsmum thank you for explaining how they work. I will be buying one of these on Amazon for when my DH is out and can’t fulfil his spider catching duties.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 17-Oct-21 22:54:15

Dilly that’s exactly why I got mine! He is my first line of defence! Mine (spider catcher not husband, though Amazon do seem to provide everything, only a matter of time before they sell husbands too) came from Lakeland. I feel extremely brave getting rid of the beasts this way!

DillytheGardener Sun 17-Oct-21 23:24:16

I’m profoundly grateful to you Germanshepherdsmum A fortnight a ago a giant house spider the size of a small mouse crawled out from a hole next to my oven and rushed at me then just stopped. Apparently this is something that they do. Nearly had a heart attack. Loathe spiders with a vengeance. Been bitten by a false widow spider and ended up in hospital and now can’t stand the things.
You are very brave. Spiders are horrendous, I commend you with a Victoria cross for valour and bravery

DillytheGardener Sun 17-Oct-21 23:28:53

I’d also like to buy a new husband, preferably one that only drinks on Saturday and is capable of DYI. Do you think Amazon will come through for us, ?