Gransnet forums

Chat

When can we visit Australia again?

(57 Posts)
PamelaJ1 Tue 19-Oct-21 08:42:18

My DD just sent this update so it looks like we won’t be going any time soon.

maddyone Tue 19-Oct-21 08:56:26

It’s the same with New Zealand.

Urmstongran Tue 19-Oct-21 09:02:01

It must be terrible for all of you longing to see relatives Down Under.
?

Urmstongran Tue 19-Oct-21 09:03:18

Yet they let cricketers and other sports celebrities in with their entourages! Doesn’t seem fair.

farview Tue 19-Oct-21 09:09:28

I should have been in Australia last April (2020)....to see DS and granddaughters...its really upsetting...the younger one cries sometimes on the phone...

Esspee Tue 19-Oct-21 09:23:10

I am so sorry for everyone caught up in this. I will be able to see my granddaughters in a month from now but am overwhelmingly sad that I missed a large part of their young lives.

maddyone Tue 19-Oct-21 09:23:36

Our four year old grandson keeps asking about his beloved grandad, ‘But when is Grandad coming?’

Callistemon Tue 19-Oct-21 10:05:32

But that is good news, isn't it?

We may be able to go after all.

Callistemon Tue 19-Oct-21 10:07:09

They weren't even allowing Australian citizens back in to visit sick parents without a bureaucratic struggle just a couple of months ago.

PamelaJ1 Tue 19-Oct-21 12:46:05

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the article only covers NSW.
They are trying all sorts of things to try and make it easier to admit us so perhaps when we go we will be able to avoid the hotel quarantine. We were made to isolate for a week last year when we arrived in Perth a few day before our flight home , even though we has been in Australia for 2 months! It was not pleasant so if we can go strain it may be worth waiting a bit longer.

Callistemon Tue 19-Oct-21 16:50:52

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the article only covers NSW.

No plans for other states yet, then.

Lucca Tue 19-Oct-21 17:24:37

My son seems to think they are about to allow people in without quArantining? I’m thinking about Easter..l

Callistemon Tue 19-Oct-21 20:13:55

NSW only apparently

sad

BlueSky Tue 19-Oct-21 22:42:45

In the same club here. But it’s looking more hopeful at last. Who on earth would have thought of a pandemic ?!

PollyTickle Tue 19-Oct-21 22:56:19

I’m thinking of Easter too Lucca, longing to see my son and grandchildren in Perth. Fingers crossed.

Spice101 Wed 20-Oct-21 00:59:38

It's not only those who don't live in Australia that cannot see their families who live here.

Many of us living here have not been able to see family, even those living locally to us due to restrictions. One of our sons lives only 10 minutes away but we have not been able to see him or his family regularly since the pandemic started. Melbourne has the longest cumulative lockdown in the world. It is now over 260 days we have had lockdown restrictions.

I believe there is now a National plan regarding overseas arrivals but initially it is only for Australian citizens or residents.

Kalu Wed 20-Oct-21 01:23:58

Callistemon

^Sorry, I forgot to mention that the article only covers NSW.^

No plans for other states yet, then.

Not good news for us then Calli. We will just have to live in hope this may soon include Queensland. ??

Lucca Wed 20-Oct-21 06:48:29

Spice101

It's not only those who don't live in Australia that cannot see their families who live here.

Many of us living here have not been able to see family, even those living locally to us due to restrictions. One of our sons lives only 10 minutes away but we have not been able to see him or his family regularly since the pandemic started. Melbourne has the longest cumulative lockdown in the world. It is now over 260 days we have had lockdown restrictions.

I believe there is now a National plan regarding overseas arrivals but initially it is only for Australian citizens or residents.

The point is….when lockdown does end you will be able to see them SO easily! And so often. No 27 hour flight and huge expense and horrible goodbyes. Sorry but not that much sympathy from me ( I expect to be in trouble for that)

ayse Wed 20-Oct-21 06:59:48

I’m waiting patiently for NZ to open but it’s not likely until next Easter at the earliest, according to my DD. I’m really missing my family there as they are always so happy and cheerful.

I hope for all of us that we get to see our families again in the not too distant future. It’s hard just waiting but at least I can see the rest of my family in the UK.

Josianne Wed 20-Oct-21 07:06:40

I think the horriblest thought is that we might never see our families down under again, and those thoughts are sometimes hard to banish. I can't imagine how hard it is for those of you with grandchildren there, my relatives are nieces and cousins in NZ who we usually see every 2 years. One is supposed to be getting married in Hong Kong in April, so we are all hoping that will serve as a family get together at last.
I'm guessing the plan will very much involve one slow step at a time.

Juliet27 Wed 20-Oct-21 07:13:43

I hope for all of us that we get to see our families again in the not too distant future. It’s hard just waiting but at least I can see the rest of my family in the UK

I wish I at least had that ayse but unfortunately both my DS and DD live in Australia. Hopefully one or other will be able to travel here in the spring.

Gingster Wed 20-Oct-21 07:47:12

My friend has got a flight to Sydney on the 30th November to see her dD and family

Elspeth45 Wed 20-Oct-21 08:25:41

Not nice or fair Lucca. I haven't seen my son and family who live 250 kms away from me here in NSW for 5 months. My other family in UK i haven't seen for 2 years. The journey is worth it.

Lucca Wed 20-Oct-21 08:29:06

Elspeth45

Not nice or fair Lucca. I haven't seen my son and family who live 250 kms away from me here in NSW for 5 months. My other family in UK i haven't seen for 2 years. The journey is worth it.

I didn’t mean you I meant what Spice was saying.

Lucca Wed 20-Oct-21 08:31:15

I also went a long time without seeing family in UK last year plus not seeing family in Australia in my case for three years.