Gransnet forums

Chat

Staying on topic- threads in general

(638 Posts)
trisher Sun 24-Oct-21 10:01:44

Do you mind if a thread de-rails after it has been running for a while and extends into other areas? I would have thought this was a natural progression of any discussion and sometimes the original subject returns with new light cast on it. It certainly seems in my opinion an odd reason for deleting any thread.

Galaxy Sun 24-Oct-21 10:03:53

Is that the reason that was given. I am afraid I dont believe that reason.

Lizzie72 Sun 24-Oct-21 10:05:02

Which thread?

Blossoming Sun 24-Oct-21 10:08:35

I haven’t seen any threads deleted for this reason. I suppose if it took the thread in an objectionable direction or attracted trolls then it might need deleting. I have noticed a zombie invasion on some older, more obscure threads recently.

Galaxy Sun 24-Oct-21 10:08:36

We probably need to keep this as a general discussion, sorry I know that was my fault.
I think if a person posts a thread about say their issues with arthritis and someone else tries to manoeuvre it to a thread about glaucoma say, then that's abit rude. But say you were talking about oh I dunno the ice caps melting and you ended up talking about fracking say then that's how normal conversations go.

Casdon Sun 24-Oct-21 10:25:07

Has a thread been deleted specifically for that reason trisher, I don’t think I’ve ever noticed it happening?
I do find it annoying when threads are hijacked into issues that aren’t to do with the original post, particularly on an innocuous post in chat that becomes political when it’s clear that wasn’t the intention of the OP.

trisher Sun 24-Oct-21 10:25:45

I'm trying to stay general. I agree Galaxy and if the derailing was done in the first few posts I'd question that. But when a thread has been going for days surely a little deviation is possible. It's not Just a Minute!

trisher Sun 24-Oct-21 10:29:26

Derailing and not helpful were the reasons Casdon. Which would cover lots of the threads on GN grin. I expect this one to go-thread about a thread.

Chewbacca Sun 24-Oct-21 10:30:09

I am afraid I dont believe that reason.

Nor me Galaxy. But I have my thoughts......

It was an excellent, robust discussion in the main

Galaxy Sun 24-Oct-21 10:31:37

So it's possible that this thread could end up in discussing free speech or who controls the internet or conversational styles, all of those deviations from the thread topic would be just possible avenues of conversation.

Galaxy Sun 24-Oct-21 10:32:36

I actually think not helpful is a more honest reason grin

Josianne Sun 24-Oct-21 10:35:35

Is it the OP who calls for a derailed thread to be deleted then?
I think derailing happens a lot of the time on GN with no big problems, just like in normal conversation with lots of people contributing.
Apologies in advance if I fit this description. I always like to throw in pictures which can take discussion off track from a different perspective.

trisher Sun 24-Oct-21 10:42:47

I think it was the moderators of GN Josianne who have much in common with God in that they move in mysterious ways.

Scones Sun 24-Oct-21 10:44:27

So who does control the internet?

grin

Galaxy Sun 24-Oct-21 10:45:32

It would be brilliant if it was me.

Scones Sun 24-Oct-21 10:48:16

If it was me it would be all dogs and cakes.

Galaxy Sun 24-Oct-21 10:53:57

You win scones, you now control the internet so if this is deleted we know who to blame ?

JaneJudge Sun 24-Oct-21 11:00:29

I think 'people' watch those threads. It's why I don't comment much on them and are very vague. I actually got banned from facebook for posting something I posted on that thread yesterday and when I was let back on, I was hounded and reported all over FB. There is a really aggressive sub group I think that is completely obsessed with silencing people (no one on here!) I just post photos of my dog on FB btw and cakes wink

Callistemon Sun 24-Oct-21 11:12:33

Which thread has been deleted?

They don't always show up as deleted confused

Callistemon Sun 24-Oct-21 11:13:38

Scones

If it was me it would be all dogs and cakes.

Wot, no cats?
Or fluffy bunnies?

Chewbacca Sun 24-Oct-21 11:20:02

Which thread has been deleted?

Callistemon it was the thread that you contributed to about official documents being reformed to remove the word "mother".

Chewbacca Sun 24-Oct-21 11:23:31

JaneJudge Your posts @ 11.00 is interesting because so many posters on MN have been reporting the exact same thing on both FaceAche and Twatter, particularly when feminist issues are discussed. Hard not to think that there's a lot of shutting down going on.

Callistemon Sun 24-Oct-21 11:24:23

Thanks Chewbacca, just found it.

Was it derailed?
I didn't think so, although perhaps it meandered away from the original OP about Scottish documents but that is what tends to happen to threads.

Galaxy Sun 24-Oct-21 11:26:44

Facebook was started to rate the attractiveness of students, it started from a place of deep unpleasantness.

Callistemon Sun 24-Oct-21 11:34:43

I didn't know that.