Gransnet forums

Chat

Going bald..

(113 Posts)
MissAdventure Mon 25-Oct-21 18:57:09

My hair is thinning terribly, so much so that there are visible bald patches and partings all through it.

The question is, do I keep trying ever more inventive ways to cover it up, or bite the bullet and have it cut short?
My head is actually sore and lumpy, so it's going to look awful, but my hair also gets greasy within an hour or two of washing it, and my head is itchy.

Shall I hold out a bit longer in the Hope it may grow back?

What would you do?

Suki70 Mon 25-Oct-21 19:01:14

I suggest have your scalp checked by your GP. My husband had something similar and it was diagnosed as Lichen Planus. He was given a lotion to treat it.

MissAdventure Mon 25-Oct-21 19:04:08

Thank you.
I'm not familiar with hairloss conditions, but I'm quite unwell generally so I presume it is connected.
If it is something that can be treated and will start it regrowing I'll persevere.

crazyH Mon 25-Oct-21 19:16:50

If you’re generally unwell, your hair is probably being affected. You need some vitamins to give your health a boost. I too have greasy hair and it’s thinning. I suppose, our age has something to do with it as well. Worrying won’t help either.

crazyH Mon 25-Oct-21 19:18:06

Btw, a few years ago, I had alopaecia aerata, (bald patches). It grew back within a year.

VioletSky Mon 25-Oct-21 19:26:35

I was diagnosed with Graves disease last year and even though my levels are normal now, the hairloss is still happening, I think things can take a while to come out in your hair.

Go to the doctors, get bloods done etc

Make sure your iron is about mid range, I was advised this for my hair.

I'm just starting to see baby hairs coming in after several months of hairloss and it does then disguise things at the root if you want to keep the length.

I feel for you and I hope things improve

MissAdventure Mon 25-Oct-21 19:29:46

I'm taking vitamin D prescribed by the doctor, and thought it may well do the trick, but it's worse, if anything.
It's far beyond normal post menopausal thinning.
I'm a bit at a loss what to do.
My scalp feels as if it's on fire at times.

Urmstongran Mon 25-Oct-21 19:35:47

Poor you MissA. It does sound as though your ill health has affected your hair. I sympathise. I’m shedding mine too at a rate of knots. Every time I run my hands through it I’ve loads of hair come away on my fingers. You have a sore scalp too. What does your GP think?

Maybe hold fire awhile. Wash hair, don’t brush while wet and try an Alice band. That will sweep your hair together a bit.

Hopefully as your health starts to improve your hair will too.

Best wishes. x

Urmstongran Mon 25-Oct-21 19:38:40

You could ask to be referred to a dermatologist.
Or try this good site, recommended to patients who attended consultations with the group of dermatologists I worked with for many years:

dermnetnz.org/

MissAdventure Mon 25-Oct-21 19:40:15

I did wear a wide headband for a while, but my grandsons said I looked like a pirate. grin
Too much hair has gone now though.
To be honest, I don't feel well enough to keep going back to my gp and off for referrals.
I know I am ill, I know that is probably the cause, but I'm really fed up with there being hair absolutely everywhere in my flat instead of on my head.

Urmstongran Mon 25-Oct-21 19:42:37

Understandable.
And the more hair you lose the more upsetting it is.
A vicious circle.

MissAdventure Mon 25-Oct-21 19:44:05

Ooh thanks!
That site looks good. I shall peruse that, and perhaps try to hang on for a bit. smile

Shinamae Mon 25-Oct-21 19:46:15

No advice I’m afraid but accept these……?????

MissAdventure Mon 25-Oct-21 19:48:06

Ah, thank you.
smile
Thanks all, actually, it helps to "say" it to people, rather than try and brazen it out.

Kate1949 Mon 25-Oct-21 19:48:56

MissA As I have bleated on about many times, I have total hair loss. I've had this for over 12 years and it's not coming back. I agree that your first port of call is blood tests. It didn't help me but hopefully it will you.

MissAdventure Mon 25-Oct-21 19:53:12

I've had lots and lots of blood tests.
Not specifically for hair loss, but other issues.
The hairloss is a by product, I think, but it's getting worse every day.
Plus I'm on steroids, so that compliments the hairloss with a big fat face.

Actually, never mind me hair, I think I'll cut me throat and be done with it!

Chewbacca Mon 25-Oct-21 19:57:15

Sent you a pm MissA smile

MissAdventure Mon 25-Oct-21 20:01:18

Strange.
Nothing in my inbox.
It must be still floating around the stratosphere. Or wherever they float.

VioletSky Mon 25-Oct-21 20:01:19

MissAdventure a lot of doctors are happy for us to be within average parameters that don't work for individuals.

I wasn't classed anaemic as normal range is 13 to 150 and I was 16.

I took iron anyway as recommended for my hair by a graves support group and actually have also found my atral fibrulation (heart rate spikes to 200bpm) stopped getting my iron up.

These nutrient levels can cause all sorts of havoc. Id advise joining a support group for your specific issues, getting hold of your blood tests results from the doctor and asking for advise as some long term sufferrers are amazingly knowledgeable. It has done wonders for me

Smileless2012 Mon 25-Oct-21 20:04:29

Don't know what to advise MissA so thought I'd send you a BIG (((hug))) and someflowers.

MissAdventure Mon 25-Oct-21 20:06:08

Yes, I have heard that before violetsky.
Some people need their levels to be higher or lower than the normal parameters.
I have a lot of my results in a folder here.
It was the only way to get taken seriously.

VioletSky Mon 25-Oct-21 20:07:06

Good, keep up the fight for your health!

MissAdventure Mon 25-Oct-21 20:08:07

smile
Thanks smileless.
I think I'll just buy a few hats for now, while I deal with the illness part.

Urmstongran Mon 25-Oct-21 20:10:51

I think it’s your iron store that is the important blood marker. The ferritin count.

Millie22 Mon 25-Oct-21 20:15:51

I don't have any advice other than taking a multivitamin which you've probably already tried. Sending a hug as I know how horrible hair loss can be x