Gransnet forums

Chat

Lush (the toiletries store).

(64 Posts)
grannydarkhair Wed 24-Nov-21 11:35:31

As from Friday, Lush are withdrawing from Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and Snapchat, they will continue on Twitter and YouTube. This is until social media channels “Take action to provide a safer environment”. How ironic! The press release goes on a lot more than what I’ve written obviously.
No mention of the many negative messages they must have received in the UK alone over the breast-binder issue.

AmberSpyglass Wed 24-Nov-21 11:49:09

I’m a huge fan of Lush, especially their political campaigns. I’m proud to stand with them on their support for the trans community. Obviously there’s no real ethical consumerism under capitalism, but this is a very positive move by them.

Rosie51 Wed 24-Nov-21 11:52:03

They'll stay on twitter who presumably they think "Take action to provide a safer environment”. What a joke! For example the tweets directed at J K Rowling threatening rape, pipe bombs in the post and worse, are never taken down or the posters banned. And yet Helen Staniland was banned (now reinstated after the Maya Forstater ruling) for asking repeatedly if male born people with a penis should have the right to undress and shower in communal spaces with teenage girls. Apparently that was harassment and worthy of a ban.

Peasblossom Wed 24-Nov-21 15:09:39

AmberSpyglass

I’m a huge fan of Lush, especially their political campaigns. I’m proud to stand with them on their support for the trans community. Obviously there’s no real ethical consumerism under capitalism, but this is a very positive move by them.

You do know that most of their products are neither environmentally friendly or ethically sourced.

Just a small number and they use those in their publicity to imply that it’s all their products.

I haven’t bought Lush since I found out about this deliberate deception.

Calistemon Wed 24-Nov-21 15:13:02

AmberSpyglass

At least they have one customer for their over-scented, headache and sneeze inducing, environmentally unfriendly products!

Witzend Wed 24-Nov-21 15:33:23

I’ve never been inside a Lush shop. The smell, or rather stink, as I walk past is quite enough.

Lizzie72 Wed 24-Nov-21 15:39:10

https://www.ethicalconsumer.org/company-profile/lush-cosmetics-ltd

It also scored a worst rating for its toxic chemicals policy and a middle rating for palm oil sourcing

Mollygo Wed 24-Nov-21 18:08:06

Anyone think this move might be related to the latest negative publicity.
Obviously neither that nor the information about their environmentally unfriendly products will put some off. Those who know nothing about either issue will continue to but Lush products. Those who do know will continue to ignore it and buy Lush.

Lizzie72 Wed 24-Nov-21 18:48:11

www.ethicalconsumer.org/company-profile/lush-cosmetics-ltd

VioletSky Wed 24-Nov-21 18:59:32

AmberSpyglass

Me too. Love their products

AmberSpyglass Wed 24-Nov-21 19:07:10

VioletSky I need to go and get some of their Christmas range! There’s a cinnamon bubble bar that looks gorgeous this year and we always get the candy cane reusable bubble bar as well. It’s not Christmas without it!

Chewbacca Wed 24-Nov-21 19:24:18

Anyone think this move might be related to the latest negative publicity.

Well they've certainly had plenty of it! They "retreated from all social media platforms" a couple of years ago in a blaze of publicity and fanfare, thinking that others would follow. But when others didn't, Lush quietly set it all back up again, only to be "retreating from all social media platforms" again. Another publicity stunt to boost falling profits perhaps.

Calistemon Wed 24-Nov-21 19:25:39

Is this a Ratner moment?

Peasblossom Wed 24-Nov-21 19:46:57

AmberSpyglass

VioletSky I need to go and get some of their Christmas range! There’s a cinnamon bubble bar that looks gorgeous this year and we always get the candy cane reusable bubble bar as well. It’s not Christmas without it!

Don’t you worry about the chemicals Amberspyglass?

OnwardandUpward Wed 24-Nov-21 19:47:59

WOW Yes probably tired of paying their Social media geek overtime to remove all the negative posts or saving money because of the massive sales slump caused by their idiotic dabbling in the female form!

MerylStreep Wed 24-Nov-21 19:58:39

Calistemon

Is this a Ratner moment?

We can only hope. People power ?

GagaJo Wed 24-Nov-21 20:00:25

AmberSpyglass

I'm not a fan of Lush, but I do admire them, taking a stand on something important.

Calistemon Wed 24-Nov-21 20:01:05

At least we'll be able to walk past without sneezing - and everyone scuttling away because they think you've got Covid!

Chewbacca Wed 24-Nov-21 20:20:10

Is this a Ratner moment?

Very possibly Callistemon, their MD has confirmed that it could cost them as much as £10 million but he's confident that they'll recoup it over time. They'll need to as, according to their financial reporting at Company House, their profits took a hammering during COVID lockdown.

AmberSpyglass Wed 24-Nov-21 20:55:15

Peasblossom …Everything contains chemicals. Literally everything.

Blossoming Wed 24-Nov-21 21:08:34

I agree Calidtemon, I can’t even walk past their shop without sneezing and itchy eyes!

grannysyb Wed 24-Nov-21 21:40:31

I used to buy stuff from them for DGD2, no more.

Chewbacca Wed 24-Nov-21 21:54:05

I just love the irony of this statement from Lush:

Mark Constantine likened social media to "a dark and dangerous alleyway," said the deactivation decision is meant to address consumers' mental health challenges and will not be reversed unless the platforms are made safer.

"There is now overwhelming evidence we are being put at risk when using social media," said Lush co-founder Mark Constantine, in a news release.
"I'm not willing to expose my customers to this harm, so it's time to take it out of the mix."

He's damned right it's a "dark and dangerous alleyway", and his company has helped make it even more so. Good riddance to them, the less we hear from them, the better it is.

Aveline Wed 24-Nov-21 22:00:50

Well that's one shop I'll definitely not be darkening the doors of.

Doodledog Wed 24-Nov-21 22:02:17

That really is ironic. A company that has been complicit in something that plays on MH issues in young girls is complaining about social media being 'dark and dangerous?

I assume the binders are ordered online and that details of the scheme are advertised on social media?