Gransnet forums

Chat

Electric carving knives

(16 Posts)
BexSpalding Fri 26-Nov-21 15:32:21

Any recommendations for newer models of electric carving knives please. My old one is past its sell by date and Christmas catering will be difficult without one due to my weak hands and wrists (also past their sell by date!)

grannysyb Fri 26-Nov-21 16:06:14

My friend gave me hers, it was a wedding present some fifty years ago. She never used it as she said it chewed up the meat rather than cutting it.I use it to cut up foam when I'm doing upholstery!

Grandmadinosaur Fri 26-Nov-21 16:35:37

My daughter in law got hers from Lakeland and I much prefer it to mine which is way past it’s sell by date.

tanith Fri 26-Nov-21 17:15:21

I have one in its box used once mine chewed up the meat too.

Coffeefan Fri 26-Nov-21 18:18:37

I had a friend who's parents used one. I prefer to use a proper carving knife.

Floradora9 Fri 26-Nov-21 21:23:43

I love them I replaced my old one , a freebie from a friend , and bought a new one from Tesco . Big mistake was not to look where the flex was attached to it . It was designed for a right handed person and I have a problem saving myself from cutting through it as I am left handed. A centrally sited flex would have been better.

kittylester Fri 26-Nov-21 21:50:28

We have one that dh uses but I can't get on with it.

Forsythia Fri 26-Nov-21 21:55:32

Ours is Moulinex and we’ve owned it all our married life, over 40 years, still working fine.

Hetty58 Fri 26-Nov-21 22:19:54

We had one that lasted about 30 years in regular use - mostly for bread. These days, though (being somewhat more clumsy than ever) I have a Vonshef metal slicing machine - very noisy but works well.

notgran Sat 27-Nov-21 08:24:23

Ours is a Krupps carving knife. 42 years old wedding present. Used whenever we have joints or a turkey to carve. Has always worked well. I know they are considered naff but we like ours. It was bought by MiL's then boyfriend and was probably the most useful and best thing he ever did in his weird life, RIP.

FlexibleFriend Sat 27-Nov-21 19:55:15

Mine is also an ancient Moulinex and I'd be lost without it.

JackyB Sun 28-Nov-21 10:24:26

They're also ideal for pizzas or anything layered like a lasagne or a gateau as they don't push the layers around over each other. I have one but I don't use it much as we, like most German households, have a bread slicing machine which cuts lovely even slices of most things (cabbage, rolled roast meats, bread, cheese, aubergines, cucumber)

I would definitely go for a good brand, though. We once had a cheaper one where the blades weren't held closely together which wasn't very good.

kittylester Sun 28-Nov-21 20:56:57

We cut pizza with kitchen scissors.

Charleygirl5 Mon 06-Dec-21 11:20:45

Floradora thanks for the warning.

cc Mon 06-Dec-21 12:12:28

kittylester

We cut pizza with kitchen scissors.

I agree kittylester, scissors are best for pizza.
I've had an electric knife in the past and didn't find it as useful as I'd expected. I find a sharp knive works just as well, provided the meat has been "rested". The electric knife was serrated and ripped the meat apart rather than sliced it finely.
I now have a (manual) meal slicer, one of those with a handle you turn whilst you push the meat through, and it is really great. I mainly use it for cold meat, though it works well for boneless hot joints too.

Grantanow Mon 06-Dec-21 12:26:12

We used to have one but we threw it out. Apart from the slight inconvenience of having to plug it in (is there a socket next to the dining table, e.g.?) it did tear through rather than cut meat cleanly. Much better to have a well sharpened carving knife, I think.