Gransnet forums

Chat

How old were you when you first became a grandparent ?

(38 Posts)
nanna8 Fri 03-Dec-21 11:17:14

I have a friend who was only 34 which is very,very young. I was 45 which I still thought was pretty young. I have some friends who have not become grandparents until they were in their 70s, thought it would never happen and are absolutely over the moon. Our youngest grandchild is only 3 and she insists on calling her older cousins aunties and uncles, rather cute.

allsortsofbags Fri 03-Dec-21 11:41:26

I was 59 and DH was 61 when out DGD was born. Old enough not to feel aged by being GP's but young enough to be around and do things with her.

I have a friend who was in her mid 30's and a relative who was in their late 60's when they became GP's.

As for your youngest DC calling cousin's aunts and uncles that is sweet.

Our DGD, who is an only child and an only GC on both sides, has got her head round the fact that her aunt and uncles are mum and dads siblings and mum and dads aunts (no uncles sadly) are her GP's siblings.

What she is getting to grips with is that I, her Granny, still have 2 aunties that I used to visit (per Covid) and now speak to and write to both in their 90's.

She'll get there, we have drawn a sort of family tree and they did Queen Victoria at school and used the tree diagram so that helped.

Family structure is a one of those things that takes time for little ones to make sense of but they get there.

paddyann54 Fri 03-Dec-21 11:43:52

49 ,I was exacly 24 and a half when my daughter was born and she was the exact same age when my now 18 year old GS was bron,she has two other children age 14 and 10 and my son has two girls age 12 and 2 /A houseful of delight when they get together ,

Boz Fri 03-Dec-21 11:49:37

58. My own mother was 39!. She had me at 17 and I had my first child aged 22. She had wonderful energy and a support.

DanniRae Fri 03-Dec-21 12:13:26

I was 70 when my darling grandson was born and 72 when my adorable granddaughter was born. I too thought it would never happen and I am more than delighted that it did! (I have to say that my daughter (mother of my grandson) was 45 when she had him and she was more delighted than words can say that he came along! smile)

sodapop Fri 03-Dec-21 12:29:16

I was 43, my daughter and I both had our children when we were young. My grandchildren are now in their twenties and thirties. I was still working when my grandchildren were young but still managed to see a lot of them. I don't think I could cope with toddlers now I am in my seventies.

AGAA4 Fri 03-Dec-21 13:03:28

I was 55 and still had plenty of energy to help with childcare. My youngest GS was born when I was 72 and sadly I don't have much energy left these days.

Harris27 Fri 03-Dec-21 13:08:44

46 and loved it!

LauraNorderr Fri 03-Dec-21 13:09:38

I was 53 when first grandson was born, lots of throwing him around, running races and noisy energetic fun as he grew up. Youngest grandchild will be 4 next week and 71 year old me can get down on the floor to play but getting up again… phew.. nuff said.

GagaJo Fri 03-Dec-21 13:10:00

I was about to turn 54 when my DGS was born. Older than I'd hoped to be although ironically, covid has forced me into working from home, so I am able to look after him full-time now while DD goes out to work. It would have been nice to be younger, to have all that extra energy for him. But TBH, I'm just glad to have him. The light of my life.

MissAdventure Fri 03-Dec-21 13:58:08

tanith Fri 03-Dec-21 14:28:39

39 for mr too and now the Grt Grands are arriving lol

JackyB Fri 03-Dec-21 14:33:51

My parents married in 1944 and I think they had trouble conceiving. Also they waited until they had their own house, so my mother was 34 when I was born (3 days before her 35th birthday). I had mine quite late, too. Our first DGS was christened at 5 months, just as I was turning 60.

Jane71 Fri 03-Dec-21 14:37:07

We were both 58 and so chuffed. Never lookd back since

silverlining48 Fri 03-Dec-21 15:24:41

I was 61, had wondered if it would ever happen. Both are still young lively children and I am feeling my age at present.

Nannagarra Fri 03-Dec-21 15:31:40

61. It had been top of my wish list for a long time and the best thing ever.
Getting up from the floor, LauraNorderr? So they can hug me properly, I sit on my knees. Frequently they’re so enthusiastic, they knock me over and the rest of the family rush to pick me up!

Cherrytree59 Fri 03-Dec-21 15:33:16

At 53 I was dreading turning 54 due to my own mother having died at that age.

But instead of sadness great joy.
My first of my three grandson was born just after my 54th birthday.

For me it was like a gift from heaven ?

HowVeryDareYou Fri 03-Dec-21 15:36:48

I was 52

Grandma70s Fri 03-Dec-21 15:45:21

I think I was 68. My elder son has no children, my younger one has two, who are now 9 and nearly 13. We all have children relatively late in our family, or in the case of my brother very late - he was in his fifties. He is now a grandfather, though. A major reason has been that we all tend to be pursuing higher education when other people are having babies.

My father was 64, I think, when I had my first child. He said he felt he was too young to be a grandpa! He was a very good one, though.

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 03-Dec-21 15:55:59

I was 63 when my granddaughter was bor. My mother was 22 (dad was 23) when I was born and my father’s mother 44. My father always used to say he was a child bride! I was pleased to be a grandmother at 63 as I had retired and had/have time to spend with her.

emmasnan Fri 03-Dec-21 16:43:40

I was 48 when my granddaughter was born, loved being a grandparent from the moment I saw her, even though it was hard still working and finding time to spend with her. She is now 17 and we have a new grandchild due in early February.

Hellogirl1 Fri 03-Dec-21 21:22:26

Ali08 Sat 04-Dec-21 04:46:11

My brain ain't working, it must be the chill in the air. Erm, 44, I think. Lol

mumofmadboys Sat 04-Dec-21 07:13:40

I am 63 and still waiting to be a grandparent!

Witzend Sat 04-Dec-21 07:51:22

I was 67. Dd had hers at 38, 39, and 42. A number of her friends were similar ages.

I hadn’t been at all ‘desperate’ for grandchildren but was very happy when it happened. I felt very sorry for a friend of dd, whose mother was endlessly crying that she was never going to be a granny - the poor girl just hadn’t met the right bloke, so it was very hard for her. I was so pleased for her when she did, and two babies soon followed.