Gransnet forums

Chat

In light of Omicron, how are you doing Christmas this year?

(176 Posts)
kittylester Tue 07-Dec-21 09:24:17

After not getting together last year, we were all looking forward to having a big family Christmas (possibly 20 of us) this year.

But, is this wise in light of the new variant?

What is everyone else doing?

love0c Tue 07-Dec-21 09:27:09

In light of this new variant we will be enjoying Christmas. Why on earth wouldn't we??!!

MerylStreep Tue 07-Dec-21 09:29:48

Certainly will. There will be 10 of us.

CafeAuLait Tue 07-Dec-21 09:34:48

Doing the normal family Christmas.

Lizzie72 Tue 07-Dec-21 09:36:12

No, we’re having a big re-think, as DD’s partner has just tested positive (they’re both double jabbed). Like you, we were looking forward to a big gathering……

kittylester Tue 07-Dec-21 09:39:51

One of our daughters and one granddaughter have just tested positive too - prompted a rethink.

Hetty58 Tue 07-Dec-21 09:49:25

It's more to do with your level of risk, surely? Last year, I hadn't had two jabs and a booster.

There is nobody with obesity, clinical vulnerabilities or extreme age in our family group. Still, we'll all be testing before we get together, as it's everyone's duty to avoid passing this nasty virus around.

eazybee Tue 07-Dec-21 09:51:10

Carefully.

Peasblossom Tue 07-Dec-21 09:52:48

We’ll all take a test first thing on Christmas Morning (new tradition ?) morning before we meet later.

JenniferEccles Tue 07-Dec-21 09:52:50

Unless news is released that the Omicron variant has been found to be very much more dangerous than the Delta one, we will continue with our plans to all be together this Christmas.

My whole family has been vaccinated, those of us in the older generation have all had our boosters, so we just have to put our trust in the excellent vaccines.

GrandmasueUK Tue 07-Dec-21 09:53:35

My family are coming here from Portugal next week. I haven’t seen them in RL for 3 years. I hope that nothing is going to stop us now. We are all being cautious and careful though and, of course, they will have to have tests before travelling.

glammanana Tue 07-Dec-21 09:55:56

We are having a family gathering with DDs inlaws there will be 12/13 we will all test on the day and hope and pray we can go ahead.

BigBertha1 Tue 07-Dec-21 10:04:05

There will be 8 of us on Christmas Day all had at least 2 vacs and everyone except us is testing twice a week for work/college/university. So we will have a traditional Christmas Eve a Christmas Day lunch buffet and possibly a trip to the pub in the days after wards e.g. normal for us. What we aren't doing is going to a big concert venue as we would perhaps have done before news of Omicron.

Rosalyn69 Tue 07-Dec-21 10:06:26

As normal but there are only husband and me and my son and daughter in law who live next door. So four adults and four dogs.

MayBeMaw Tue 07-Dec-21 10:11:02

For all sorts of reasons we are not all going to be together tchsad - one D has a new baby and her in laws would be on their own - so they are spending Christmas together with them but hope to join me on the 27th.
D2’s MIL has Alzheimer’s and they currently have no house (living with FIL) so as he is going away with his D, SIL and their family, D2 is joining me chez D1 and family.
That is until somebody tests positive or gets pinged and then all bets are off.
With 4 children at school, 1 in nursery and a teacher in the family, the odds of everybody dodging the bullet seem poor, so I am playing it by ear.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 07-Dec-21 10:16:40

Just the two of us on Christmas Day, son and daughter in law coming Boxing Day for a few days. They will test before coming. Not planning any outings to crowded pubs or restaurants and most of the food is (hopefully) being delivered.

Shropshirelass Tue 07-Dec-21 10:20:40

We are rethinking. DH was one of the extremely clinically vulnerable and in spite of being triple jabbed we are still being very careful. We have been invited to a large family gathering of all ages but I know not all of the family going have even had one jab. My heart wants to go but my head is saying not to. Just not wort( the risk.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 07-Dec-21 10:24:04

Very wise if I might say so Shropshirelass.

Chewbacca Tue 07-Dec-21 10:36:40

Kittylester, like you, I was all geared up for a family gathering on Christmas Day but, with Boris moving the goalposts at the last minute, it all got cancelled. We're trying again this year but I'm wary of buying anything in readiness in case it gets cancelled again.

MiniMoon Tue 07-Dec-21 10:41:23

I'm having about 20 people in the function room of a local pub on Saturday. It's my 70th birthday celebration.
After that I think that it will just be DH and I. We have ordered a large duck instead of a goose or turkey.
I'm not afraid of the omicron variant, but will be sensible and take precautions wherever I go, just as I've been doing since the pandemic began.

kittylester Tue 07-Dec-21 10:48:04

Chewbacca

Kittylester, like you, I was all geared up for a family gathering on Christmas Day but, with Boris moving the goalposts at the last minute, it all got cancelled. We're trying again this year but I'm wary of buying anything in readiness in case it gets cancelled again.

I have bought/ordered/made everything but my concern is partly that if it is cancelled at the last minute, all the individual families are going to be without the usual goodies which is unfair on the children.

Bertha, DD2 has had both jabs and a booster but still caught it.

BlueSky Tue 07-Dec-21 10:50:23

Just the two of us, children and grandchildren living overseas, so just the video call. Still we are grateful for what we’ve got. ?

EnaSharples Tue 07-Dec-21 10:54:04

I'm immunocompromised and won't be risking Christmas outside these four walls. My consultant has told me to keep doing what I'm doing. I shop on line, we wash down our groceries, we drive to quiet places and go for short walks, I can't walk far anyway. I talk to my family and friends on zoom and on signal. We still laugh and cry together without risking my health. We did relax a bit in the summer and saw people in the garden. I am not complaining, I'm quite happy to stay safe and my family understand. Merry Christmas.

Jaxjacky Tue 07-Dec-21 10:59:43

DD, GC’s and both of us will test Christmas Eve before they join us for 24 hours. Windows and doors will be opened at intervals.

rosie1959 Tue 07-Dec-21 11:01:59

Just doing normal family Christmas with our children and grandchildren who we see all the time anyway
A bit bigger get together just after Christmas but that's just a extra 4 people
Couple of meals out planned as well as a Christmas function at a local venue
Will not be changing family plans regardless