Gransnet forums

Chat

I never knew that…….

(83 Posts)
Sago Thu 09-Dec-21 12:53:25

My lovely neighbour (totally impractical!) told me this morning she was distressed as her lavatory was blocked and she had tried various methods to remedy this!
They mostly involved hot water,soda crystals and a stick.?

I asked why she hadn’t used a plunger, she says she didn’t have one and they were only for sinks anyway!
I explained a long handled plunger was a necessity in every home ( particularly if inhabited by a male) she left thinking I was bonkers to use a plunger in a lavatory.

What didn’t you know?

B9exchange Thu 09-Dec-21 13:00:22

Different shape plunger for loos! But doesn't always work for us, and the drain blocker you can get from supermarkets always does, if you put the whole bottle down and leave it.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 09-Dec-21 13:29:54

I assume you mean the whole contents of the bottle B9 so as not to make things worse??

Jackiest Thu 09-Dec-21 13:41:02

Confused by the "( particularly if inhabited by a male)" I can not think men put down the loo I have found it is ladies(daughters) who block it putting sanitary towels down it.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 09-Dec-21 13:43:20

Mmm, I wondered about that!

Blondiescot Thu 09-Dec-21 15:27:11

Men put 'logs' down the loo - use your imagination! grin

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 09-Dec-21 15:30:57

And ladies would pass something smaller? I have absolutely no idea! Do you make comparisons in your house?! You must post evidence of this Blondie!?

Aveline Thu 09-Dec-21 15:31:58

Nooo please don't Blondie!!

FarNorth Thu 09-Dec-21 15:39:53

I have never used a plunger for a toilet or sink.
Drain unblocker, followed by buckets of water poured from a height, has worked on the rare occasions it's been needed.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 09-Dec-21 15:40:51

From a great height … no splash back?

FarNorth Thu 09-Dec-21 15:47:10

Maybe a bit but worth it for the result.

Welshwife Thu 09-Dec-21 15:51:22

We had a macerator on an ensuite which suddenly stopped working - DH took it outside to inspect - clean as a whistle but a guest must have put a Tampax type thing down as the string was wound round the machinery! That removed all was well.

shysal Thu 09-Dec-21 15:57:38

Talking of plungers I only found out this week that a car dent can be removed with one plus boiling water. My plunger is sitting by the door to remind me to try the method on the dent I received from a lady who drove out of the school drive into me. My car is not new so I decided not to bother with insurance. Here is the video.
boiling water and plunger dent removal

Jaxjacky Thu 09-Dec-21 16:44:09

I don’t think men pass anything bigger than women actually, well not in some years of my experience.
A plunger is one of those sim0e household tools that works every time.

Jaxjacky Thu 09-Dec-21 16:44:27

Simple

DanniRae Thu 09-Dec-21 16:52:29

I hold my hand up and admit it's me who has blocked the toilet in the past (Fibrogel is helping me now!). When it happened in the past I had to resort to buying a loo unblocker from A****n - it arrived the next day and worked a treat smile
It's like a plunger but bigger and comes with a holder to store it in.

LauraNorderr Thu 09-Dec-21 16:59:53

I’ve left a tape measure next to the loo.
I’ll get back to you

lemsip Thu 09-Dec-21 17:02:13

Blondiescot

Men put 'logs' down the loo - use your imagination! grin

Yes I agree.... and they wonder 'how is that going to go round the bend? just talking about this very subject with my adult son and advising him what he needs to get for his home.

agnurse Thu 09-Dec-21 17:10:40

Some people have a poop knife. Basically, a dedicated knife that you use to break up particularly large logs so you don't block the loo. (I'm serious. No, we do not have one.)

LauraNorderr Thu 09-Dec-21 17:13:04

That’s decided, definitely no Yule log in this house this Christmas

tanith Thu 09-Dec-21 17:27:30

Oh my I certainly didn’t know that agnurse ?

Chestnut Thu 09-Dec-21 17:31:33

I have never used a plunger but a mixture of white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda has worked twice in the past. That usually unblocks a toilet, although maybe not if someone has put sanitary items down there.

Elegran Thu 09-Dec-21 17:34:03

Leaving biological washing powder in it (and the lid down) for an hour or two as long as you can and then flushing sometimes works, if no-one has been in there while it is soaking and flushed it prematurely.

Elegran Thu 09-Dec-21 17:35:37

I remember Captain Kirk (well, maybe the actor) making some crack joke about the captain's log.

Millie22 Thu 09-Dec-21 17:42:25

Is this for real? I'll never be able to buy a yule log again.
???