Gransnet forums

Chat

Pins or nappi nippas ?

(32 Posts)
Liamsnana Mon 03-Jan-22 15:00:19

Good afternoon fellow Grandparents
Those of you who don't know im fulltime career now for my 3 year old grandson (long story ) I came across an advert from Amazon about nappi nippas ,apparently they grip the nappy in place and keep it secure,has any fellow Grandparents who look after there GC that prefer to use terry nappies ever used them before ? And are they better than good old nappy pins which I still currently use as I use 2 nappy pins every nappy change

Aveline Mon 03-Jan-22 15:07:02

hmm

Pumpkin82 Mon 03-Jan-22 15:34:22

I wouldn’t use nappy pins, I consider them very unsafe especially on older children who can fiddle better. Nappy nippas are much safer.

Lucca Mon 03-Jan-22 15:37:38

If he is 3 would pull ups not be more practical ?

LOUISA1523 Mon 03-Jan-22 15:39:47

Pull ups?

Lucca Mon 03-Jan-22 15:52:17

Er…yes

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 03-Jan-22 16:14:29

Pull ups are easier to use during potty training, just pull up or down like underpants, more expensive though if you haven’t quite reached potty training.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 03-Jan-22 16:17:49

Although as you are going down the environmentally friendly route, it would be better to use them later when hopefully you will only need I pair per day.
MsOops used something similar to the nappy grippers you have seen, she never used disposable nappies, but she lived in London it was easy to leave the used nappies on her doorstep and the Nappy Fairies left clean ones, just like magic?

JenniferEccles Mon 03-Jan-22 17:04:53

I’m sure leaving it until a child is a bit older speeds up potty training but haven’t times changed?

Mine, now in their 30s and 40s were all out of nappies long before their third birthday.
A couple of mornings a week they went to the local playgroup from three, and wouldn’t have been accepted if they were still in nappies.

I do accept that ideas around this change with each generation, but it still surprises me to learn that children still in nappies at three years old isn’t at all uncommon these days.

Hetty58 Mon 03-Jan-22 17:09:16

I'm really shocked that a three year old is still in nappies. How uncomfortable!

I know that times have changed, with the convenience of disposables - but children haven't. My four were all out of nappies by the time they were two.

nexus63 Mon 03-Jan-22 17:18:25

i had to laugh at some of the comments about wearing nappies at 3, you do not know anything about the child and why they still need a nappy at age three so why not just answer the question the person has asked and not show your shock and disgust at a child who may have problems and still need to wear a nappy.

Baggs Mon 03-Jan-22 19:27:11

I love nappy pins. Such useful items. I still use them though not for nappies.

mumofmadboys Tue 04-Jan-22 07:06:10

This child has obviously had a difficult start in life to not be cared for by his parents. Well done Liamsnana for bringing him up.. I agree with nexus' comments.

mumofmadboys Tue 04-Jan-22 07:08:11

Well done too for using Terry nappies. I did for my first 4 children but by number 5 it was disposables from the beginning!

Ashcombe Tue 04-Jan-22 07:30:26

When I was teaching, we occasionally had children starting school still in nappies. One child wouldn’t use the toilet unless mother was there. I don’t remember the outcome of these issues as I didn’t teach Early Years.

BlueBelle Tue 04-Jan-22 07:49:09

I don’t think leaving it till they are older does speed up potty training I believe our kids were all trained early because we were probably fed up with soaking and washing dirty nappies in the days before disposables and washing machines ( well I didn’t have a washing machine, don’t know about you)
I stood behind a lady with an about 3 year old all beautifully dressed and the lady had a designer bag on her shoulder and the little one stunk of poo
Why ever not train them at a more reasonable age I know teachers who say some kids (not disabled) go to school in nappies (“they ll do it when they are ready”)
I wouldn’t even use pull ups but proper little pants they like to be grown up and they don’t like dirtying proper pants, pull ups are too like nappies
And no I m not hard hearted we just had fun bought them all sorts of pretty and fun pants and they were all well up for it and my grand kids too BUT I m not being judgemental if the little one has a medical problem Nexus there is nothing in the original post to suggest that is the case

Lucca Tue 04-Jan-22 08:42:54

Bluebelle I agree with you although it’s not a popular attitude ! One of GS was a “wait until he’s old enough” and was very slow to be trained . My other GS’s mum just took his nappy off pretty much as he turned 2 and he was sorted in no time.

Although I do know that OP grandchild has had disruption in his little life so it’s a different case. Plus I take my hat off to her for taking on his care.

glammanana Tue 04-Jan-22 10:31:46

Mine where all toilet trained by the time they where either 2 or just after they all wore terry nappies and did not like the feeling of wetness on their skin so during the day they wore cotton pants which could be changed as necessary they soon got the idea, they also had to be dry by the time they went to nursery at 3yrs.I still have 2 x blue & 2 x pink nappy pins in my sewing box.

Farmor15 Tue 04-Jan-22 10:37:32

Liamsnanna - I'd suggest you stick with nappy pins for now as they work for you. I've seen these Nappi Nippas but not sure I'd trust them for an older child.

With regard to the training issue, from your other thread, I appreciate you don't want to cause any stress in his life for now, and others have suggested leaving it till warmer weather. However, having a potty in bathroom, and leaving nappy off for a short time after a bath won't cause any stress and he might just give the potty a try. My boys often used to pee as soon as I put their feet in the water (some kind of reflex reaction - helped by sound of running tap) and I would grap the potty and hold it in front of them. It didn't mean they got trained immediately, but at least gave them the idea.

Well done with your care for grandson smile

JenniferEccles Tue 04-Jan-22 10:40:22

This has always been a bit of an emotive issue, hasn’t it, with opinions firmly in one camp or the other.

I believe it was fashionable at one time to hold a baby over the potty at regular intervals virtually from birth!
That’s clearly nonsense, but speaking generally I do wonder how we have now got to the times when, never mind still in nappies at three, primary school teachers are reporting five year olds turning up in them ?

ElaineI Tue 04-Jan-22 23:09:01

DD1 has taught P1 for 12 years and never once had a child start school in nappies.
Is it just me or are a lot of threads just now full of people being very judgemental and condescending to those who have a different point of view?

crazyH Tue 04-Jan-22 23:23:16

Liamsnana - your grandson is lucky to have you as his Nana. I don’t know anything about nappinippas, so can’t help there, sorry x

MayBeMaw Tue 04-Jan-22 23:24:15

Is it just me or are a lot of threads just now full of people being very judgemental and condescending to those who have a different point of view?

I think you have a point!
There are guaranteed minefields such as
Potty training
Demand feeding vs scheduled feeding
Breast vs bottle
Cream before jam or vice versa on scones
Tea/supper/dinner
and no doubt many more which seem to be sure to kick things off!
And that’s not counting Boris
Or Brexit! gringrin

Calistemon Tue 04-Jan-22 23:36:02

Well done for taking on the care of your DGS, Liamsnana

I've never heard of these nappi nippas and always used nappy safety pins (useful afterwards, as Baggs says, especially for holding knitting or crochet).

Summer is the best time but I'm not sure if he goes to nursery - will they accept a toddler who is not trained?

Will the Council take pullups as clinical waste where they are disposed of properly? They might be easier if you want to train him now.
It just takes loads of patience and persistence, some little ones are eager to try and pleased with themselves when they succeed.
Others can be awkward so best to leave it until they are happy t try.

fulltimenana Mon 24-Jan-22 22:28:33

I would definitely recommend nappi nippas ,i use them on my 2 year old DGS much easier to use than pins ,good luck