Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you/ have you collected anything ?

(143 Posts)
nanna8 Mon 09-May-22 03:05:31

I used to collect blue and white pottery and pottery clogs, then horse brasses for a while. I’m still tempted if I see a nice horse brass in an antique shop ( not that many in Australia). I ran out of space for pottery . As for books …I have hundreds but have started the big cull.

Grandmabatty Mon 09-May-22 07:18:02

I used to collect elephants but have ruthlessly culled my collection. There are still too many, but I like the ones I have. I have got rid of lots of books too.

Hellogirl1 Mon 09-May-22 07:28:21

I have a collection of Lilliput Lane houses, also small crystal ornaments, but running out of room now. I like to buy cat ornaments if I see a nice, natural looking one, not those with daft smiles on their faces!

tanith Mon 09-May-22 07:49:23

I have a pebble collection a pebble from the beach of every seaside holiday. Not very PC but I didn’t know any better. I used to have some Lilliput houses too but they are long gone as are many of my books.

LOUISA1523 Mon 09-May-22 08:23:12

tanith

I have a pebble collection a pebble from the beach of every seaside holiday. Not very PC but I didn’t know any better. I used to have some Lilliput houses too but they are long gone as are many of my books.

I have a collection ( well about 20 really) heart shaped beach pebbles collected over the last 30 years and given to me by the DC and now GC.....I keep them in a basket

Marydoll Mon 09-May-22 08:27:48

I used to collect thimbles, I have about a hundred, Not very fashionable nowadays. My children certainly don't want them!
Some were/are beautiful, especially the Cairngorm glass ones.

I also had a thing about paperweights. Now I just collect clothes and shoes. wink

Greyduster Mon 09-May-22 08:33:53

At one time I collected china bells. I didn’t set out to collect them; people just added to them because they assumed I collected them. I got rid of them when we moved - there were just too many. The only things I collect now are hallmarked silver Vesta and calling card cases, and military figurines. Because good ones are hard to come by and not cheap, it keeps things within sensible bounds!

Franbern Mon 09-May-22 08:43:37

It is far too easy for many collections to grow too quickly and become difficult to house.

My collection is for anything to do with gymnastics. Figurines are few and far between, so each one I have tells stories. I have a large Display Cabinet in which all this is housed. When I started it - some twenty years ago - it grew very slowly - but is now pretty full. I will try to post a photo of this cabinet - no it is very previous to me, very personal and very unique. No idea what will happen to it all when I die.

Grandmabatty Mon 09-May-22 08:50:52

I forgot about my collection of Chalet School books! I have most of them and they are worth significantly more than I thought. I'm in good company too, as the writer Val McDermid also collects them. Hers will probably be first editions!

SachaMac Mon 09-May-22 09:00:12

People used to buy Crown Derby plates/trinket boxes etc & cut glass for engagement present, 18ths, 21st’s etc (imagine doing that now) somehow we ended up with a collection but got rid of it all over ten years ago. I do still have few CD bird paperweights but won’t buy anymore, (trying to declutter)!
I also had a thing for the Country Companion Dogs, humanised dogs stood up dressed in fishing gear/hunting gear/sports gear etc. We always used to buy one from a little shop in Blakeney when we went there. I fell out of love with those too and gave them away. I don’t really collect anything now other than clothes & shoes as others have mentioned smile

Georgesgran Mon 09-May-22 09:01:31

Years ago, I wanted to collect John Ditchfield paperweights, but talked myself out of it as they’d become ‘dust gatherers’. I’m not keen on ornaments in general and only display little things my DDs have bought me.

Auntieflo Mon 09-May-22 09:25:22

I used to collect WADE pieces. It started when I would buy them for the children's stockings. The collection gradually grew, until it filled a cabinet. Then I sold the whole lot to a dealer, and got grief from my daughter ?.
Now I just collect coloured glass, which now fills the old cabinet, and I love it, but have mostly stopped now.
I also don't know what will become of it, but it's not something to worry over.

Cabbie21 Mon 09-May-22 09:30:06

I used to collect Radford pottery. In our previous house we had wide windowsills but here I have not enough room. I display a few pieces, but the rest are boxed up in the loft. I did plan to rotate them but it is too much trouble. Unfortunately they are no longer fashionable and sell at antique fairs for a fraction of what I paid.

J52 Mon 09-May-22 09:35:59

I used to collect powder compacts, I was started off by inheriting a silver compact. Most of them were picked up cheaply at antique fairs. I didn’t do anything with them, they sat in a drawer. So I sold them, except the silver one, on eBay. I was really surprised at how much they were worth. Also, that the most extravagant ones were not necessarily the most valuable.

Shinamae Mon 09-May-22 09:37:04

I collect dust and display it all over the house ?

luluaugust Mon 09-May-22 09:43:00

I used to collect cup, saucer and plate trios, mostly 1930's. Impossible to get rid of now and I enjoy looking at them.
I would go round junk shops so very little money spent on them.
Now I just look at costume jewellery and have a good rifle through boxes of mostly plastic stuff, amazing what gets mixed in with the tat!

rafichagran Mon 09-May-22 09:43:10

No, I never did, too much dusting.

aggie Mon 09-May-22 09:48:03

I didn’t collect Lilliputian cottages , but my Son started work in a shop that sold them ! So every Birthday, Christmas , Mother’s Day and Wedding Anniversary he ought them for me , I had them on the two deep front windowsills , till I discovered the younger children playing with them ! They migrated to different places but they all got chipped and ended in the charity shop , later I discovered that some were worth money , but mine were too chipped , I did like them

Blossoming Mon 09-May-22 09:48:56

I collect red Carlton lustreware after being given a beautiful red preserve pot that had been one of my parents’ wedding gifts. I don’t haven many pieces. A couple of pieces are Rouge Royale. I’m not a purist, there is a lovely Crown Devon jug in there as the colour and pattern fit in.

I have collected other things over the years but I’m busy decluttering now.

Franbern Mon 09-May-22 09:57:04

My gymnastic display cabinet

J52 Mon 09-May-22 10:01:29

luluaugust

I used to collect cup, saucer and plate trios, mostly 1930's. Impossible to get rid of now and I enjoy looking at them.
I would go round junk shops so very little money spent on them.
Now I just look at costume jewellery and have a good rifle through boxes of mostly plastic stuff, amazing what gets mixed in with the tat!

It’s always worth spending time having a rile through. I once bought a very pretty brooch, that the dealer charged me £12 for because it was silver.
When I got it home and looked more closely it is platinum, seed pearls and small diamonds. I still wear it occasionally on a black jacket.

lixy Mon 09-May-22 10:03:12

I've never been a collector inside, but in one house I used to have a mint bed with over twenty different mints in pots. I enjoyed looking after them and it was a fairly cheap way of adding purpose to visiting open gardens.
Hadn't though about it 'til now but might start a similar one here in this garden.

luluaugust I had an aunt who collected trios and displayed them on a dresser. My Grandad remarked one day that she had got through a lot of nice tea sets - he thought they were the remnant of a whole set! She wasn't slow in putting him right!

nanna8 Mon 09-May-22 10:32:04

Nice cabinet Franbern. I forgot something I have had for years- corks, I have a wicker basket full sat near the fireplace. Nearly all screw tops these days.

Parsley3 Mon 09-May-22 10:35:56

I collected Poole pottery for a while. I have the pieces displayed throughout the house.

henetha Mon 09-May-22 10:36:06

For years I collected chickens, had a great flock of them on shelves, mantlepieces etc. Then I fell for flamingos after seeing them in the Camargue. Both of these flocks have been partly culled now. These days it's sea-glass. I haven't got enough yet to make a picture but I'll keep trying.