Gransnet forums

Chat

Antiperspirant or deodorant?

(54 Posts)
Shinamae Wed 11-May-22 16:49:08

I stopped using an antiperspirant many years ago as after reading certain articles I did agree that pores are there to let your skin breathe and an antiperspirant just doesn’t do that,it stops you perspiring,well at least it stops the perspiration coming out of the pores.. I have used this deodorant for years and really like it.. about £2 I only used to be able to buy in a health store but now Tesco’s do it so it must be getting popular..

Joseanne Wed 11-May-22 16:54:32

Snap from Tesco. Aluminium free is the important bit.

Callistemon21 Wed 11-May-22 17:10:32

Aluminium free is the important bit.
Definitely!

It has been widely available in supermarkets near here for many years, eg Tesco and Waitrose. Also available in Boots.

Granmarderby10 Wed 11-May-22 17:38:31

Shinamae does it work? Does it stop underarm odour?

I don’t like the smells of any of the deodorants these days
Perhaps it is just me but I find some smell faintly of cat pee.

Years ago there used to be some lovely scented deodorants
But to be honest I didn’t perspire much until my mid 40s

SueDonim Wed 11-May-22 19:16:44

Neither. I haven’t used them since I was last pregnant in 1996, when I think there was some health scare or other. Probably nonsense but I stopped using them and noticed no difference whatsoever.

Fennel Wed 11-May-22 19:24:16

Since becoming old (86) I've noticed that that I sweat less. When I do it smells of onions which isn't very nice so I wash and use Dove original,
I remember an early deodorant called Odorono which my Mum used.

Fennel Wed 11-May-22 19:28:38

An interesting history:
eu.cincinnati.com/story/news/2017/02/14/odorono-ads-made-us-realize-we-needed-deodorant/97922010/

midgey Wed 11-May-22 19:28:59

Fennel I remember that one!

Liz46 Wed 11-May-22 19:29:18

I use a mineral stick. No aluminium and it lasts for years. My husband would definitely tell me if it is not effective!

Blondiescot Wed 11-May-22 19:36:42

What about all the sweaty betties who need more than just a deodorant though?

SueDonim Wed 11-May-22 20:01:21

A song about Odorono! grin

genius.com/The-who-odorono-lyrics

Patsy70 Wed 11-May-22 20:18:46

I remember my Mum using Odorono!

Fennel Wed 11-May-22 20:22:54

So funny SueDonim [grin} but clever advertising.
SweatyBetties - I had a friend who worked in an office with a woman whose strong personal odour came from lower down.
My friend found it offensive and eventually mentioned it to her. Don't know if she did anything about it.
But I'm not one to be obsessive about these things. My own sense of smell is not good now.

Elizabeth27 Wed 11-May-22 20:34:26

I had a colleague that did not wear deodorant, stating that she did not sweat or smell. We all sweat, well apart from Prince Andrew, she thought she did not smell but as we are nose blind to our own odour she did just was unaware.

Callistemon21 Wed 11-May-22 20:39:38

SueDonim

Neither. I haven’t used them since I was last pregnant in 1996, when I think there was some health scare or other. Probably nonsense but I stopped using them and noticed no difference whatsoever.

It was about aluminium and about anti-perspirants blocking pores, linking them t breast cancer I think, SueDonim

Casdon Wed 11-May-22 20:45:26

There’s no scientific evidence to support anti-perspirants causing breast cancer though, it’s an urban myth.
www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/causes-of-cancer/cosmetics-and-toiletries

Callistemon21 Wed 11-May-22 20:53:20

Casdon

There’s no scientific evidence to support anti-perspirants causing breast cancer though, it’s an urban myth.
www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/causes-of-cancer/cosmetics-and-toiletries

It was the scare story at the time.

Casdon Wed 11-May-22 20:56:56

I remember it Callistemon21, I tried the alternatives at the time - but I was glad when it was disproved, and went back to the normal antiperspirant as I didn’t find the others as good.

Grannybags Wed 11-May-22 20:59:30

SueDonim

A song about Odorono! grin

genius.com/The-who-odorono-lyrics

I've got that album!

SueDonim Wed 11-May-22 21:31:33

So does Dh, Grannybags. grin

I think it was the aluminium thing, yes! As I say, I stopped using both and haven’t missed it. I’m not really a sweaty person, probably because I don’t like being too hot so tend to avoid it.

Joseanne Wed 11-May-22 22:05:21

But there are heavy metals which in excess can cause toxicity in the body. Some lipsticks were renowned for this, hair dyes too. You can do a heavy metals analysis test which shows you how much your body is harbouring.

Casdon Wed 11-May-22 22:15:22

Joseanne

But there are heavy metals which in excess can cause toxicity in the body. Some lipsticks were renowned for this, hair dyes too. You can do a heavy metals analysis test which shows you how much your body is harbouring.

You’re right Joseanne, but aluminium is not in the list of more dangerous heavy metals, and is poorly absorbed - so the research has identified that use of antiperspirant doesn’t pose an increased risk of breast cancer based on the studies to date.

JenniferEccles Wed 11-May-22 22:34:28

I remember the breast cancer scare story.
It was said that there is a higher incidence of breast cancer in the left breast and that led to the theory implicating aluminium.
I think the theory was based on the idea that as most women are right handed, they are likely to apply more antiperspirant to the left breast.

I always use antiperspirant. Deodorants don’t leave you dry.

WharfedaleGran Wed 11-May-22 22:36:09

Liz46

I use a mineral stick. No aluminium and it lasts for years. My husband would definitely tell me if it is not effective!

Ooh thank you, I’ve just taken a look at these out of curiosity and I’m definitely going to give it a try… Boots sell one for £4.85!

Shinamae Thu 12-May-22 09:14:12

Granmarderby10

Shinamae does it work? Does it stop underarm odour?

I don’t like the smells of any of the deodorants these days
Perhaps it is just me but I find some smell faintly of cat pee.

Years ago there used to be some lovely scented deodorants
But to be honest I didn’t perspire much until my mid 40s

As I don’t tend to sweat a lot anyway it is absolutely fine for me and it does smell really nice..