Gransnet forums

Chat

What items do you still use that belonged to your parents?

(76 Posts)
Cabbie21 Fri 13-May-22 12:25:03

Those of us who have had the task of clearing parents’ homes have no doubt brought home items from their homes, maybe for sentimental reasons, or maybe because they were too good to give or throw away.

I still have and use the barometer that was a wedding present to my parents in 1939.
Today I changed the bed and put on duvet covers which I found unopened in my parents’ home. ( they did not use duvets.)
I have bits of china and Pyrex dishes I still use.
What do others use?

Lucca Fri 13-May-22 12:32:41

My mothers matching mixing bowls. Turquoise with white flower on and usually flour in !

GrannyTracey Fri 13-May-22 12:36:45

My grannies biscuit barrel & my mums wooden rolling pin . Such lovely memories come flooding back every time I use them smile

gulligranny Fri 13-May-22 12:36:56

I have the (proper-sized) tablespoon that my Mum and Granny used. I've got my dad's garden fork which has to be 60-70 years old, and I have the canteen of cutlery they were given as a wedding present in 1940 - the dinner knives and forks are well worn but the fish knives are still pristine! I always use this cutlery when I'm entertaining, along with the meat plate and tureen which are the only pieces left from their wedding present china.

I've got Mum's collection of Caithness glass too.

Hellogirl1 Fri 13-May-22 12:39:39

A large oval plate, usually used to place my joint on when cooked, it has a blue willow pattern type design on it, and belonged to my grandma, she gave it to me when I got married in 1963.

Baggs Fri 13-May-22 12:45:18

I have one grandmother's rolling pin and the Yorkshire pudding tins (proper size; none of your fashionable piffling little things). I have the salt cellar (a wooden pig whose tail comes out for you to fill him with salt) that my parents were given as a wedding present.

I have my paternal grandparents' dining table – my grandad made it – and my maternal great grandparents' dining table. Plus various dining chairs from various family homes. Nothing matches anything else but that's how I like it.

We also have and use china that belonged to an aunt of mine. Also her desk. My roasted meat plate belonged to a grandma. Couple of armchairs from grandparents – I'm sitting on one now.

Then there are books that belonged to my paternal grandpa and a very old, wooden clothes horse.

I'd hate to be without the family connectivity.

Shelflife Fri 13-May-22 12:45:45

Mum's weighing scales and weights, use them regularly!

Witzend Fri 13-May-22 12:46:01

A huge willow pattern shallow dish that really only gets used at Christmas - for the turkey.

My mother’s rolling pin, and an ancient wooden spoon of hers, which I kept for sentimental reason - it was very worn down on one side. Dh damaged it by putting it in the dishwasher having been firmly asked not to ?, but I do still use it.

Blondiescot Fri 13-May-22 12:52:41

I have my mum's Mouli grater - it's one of the orange ones and still used on a regular basis.

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 13-May-22 12:55:12

Until very recently I used a bread board which my parents had for a wedding present in 1952. It is now too cracked to use but I have kept it. I also still use a bottle opener mum bought when she visited us in Seychelles when we lived there in the 1970s.

Jaxjacky Fri 13-May-22 13:14:07

A picture, now hung on our living room wall.

Greta8 Fri 13-May-22 13:19:19

A bread board and trolley made by my grandfather who was a carpenter. A pepper grinder made for my Mum by my cousin who was a wood turner. Miscellaneous crockery including Portmeirion storage jars and a pottery chicken. Lovely memories when I use them.

Grannynannywanny Fri 13-May-22 13:43:41

My Dad’s pliers, hammer and drill. My Mum’s China tea set and cake stand which we recently used for an afternoon tea style birthday party for my 8 yr old Gd.

I’m particularly fond of this carpet beater from the 1950’s. I remember as a small child pretending it was a guitar my brother using it as a rifle.

SueDonim Fri 13-May-22 13:50:18

My mum is still here but she chucks away everything she doesn’t need. She was minimalist before it was invented. grin

I have recently had a Utility Era sewing table restored. Mum gave it to me when she moved one time. It was in two pieces when I sent it away and it’s now absolutely beautiful. The lid opens up and it’s all padded inside.

Judy54 Fri 13-May-22 14:00:51

A mantle clock which was a first wedding anniversary gift to my parents in 1949.

Lark123 Fri 13-May-22 15:03:31

My favourite, and very useful object is the cupboard from the 18th C where my mother displayed her antique china behind 16 small panes of glass, while storing her craft supplies etc.. in the bottom half.

I don't recall how we moved it inside, it's quite tall and heavy by today's standards, but I enjoy the looks of it everyday and it's been as useful to me as it was to my mother smile

emmasnan Fri 13-May-22 15:12:29

A magnifying glass my dad used to read small print. I used to laugh when he used it, now I need it too!
Also clay flower pots he used, they are very special as I know that like me, he loved gardening.

JackyB Fri 13-May-22 15:14:33

I have among other things a small teapot which my mother used. It's not an heirloom as such - she bought it at Lakeland - but everyone envies its elegant design and drip-less pouring. Also it is double-sided so you don't need a cosy.

AGAA4 Fri 13-May-22 15:57:38

My mum gave me a teapot that had belonged to her mum. Sadly it went missing when I moved house.
Btw I also lost 2 pairs of my favourite knickers ?

Shandy57 Fri 13-May-22 16:04:05

I've got my Mum's 'tablespoon'. I've found that teaspoons are made in various sizes nowadays, I need to get a cooking teaspoon too.

Skydancer Fri 13-May-22 16:07:28

An ebony hand mirror of Mum’s. Bevel edged and heavy.

activerelaxer Fri 13-May-22 16:09:28

I have my grandmother’s pressed glass fruit bowl and salad dishes, and ex-MiL’s cake stand. Mum has yet to pass on anything usable!

Serendipity22 Fri 13-May-22 16:26:27

For 1 thing, I live in my mums house ( my childhood home )

I have kept the kitchen door and my old bedroom door yes they are 'old fashioned' but to me they hold a million, trillion memories.

Mixing bowl, knife ( that MUST have been my grans ) a recipe book that my mum wrote in, ohhh so many, many more things that I will never part with.

smile

Oldbat1 Fri 13-May-22 16:34:37

Majority of our furniture is from parents or grandparents. I have a rug which belonged to husbands grandparents and a rug from parents! We have so much kitchen equipment. Crockery and cutlery.

Iam64 Fri 13-May-22 16:47:28

Large willow pattern plate on which large pieces of meat or fowl sit- was my mum’s
A glass jelly mould - my grannie’s

Various beautifully embroidered linen cloths(mum -one of which I embroidered with her )