Gransnet forums

Chat

Queen attending the Royal Windsor Horse Show today.

(57 Posts)
Esspee Fri 13-May-22 12:43:18

After her non appearance for the Queen’s Speech do you think she is sending a message to the government?

Baggs Fri 13-May-22 12:47:20

No. I think she's letting Charles in gently.

Glad to hear she is getting out to something she will enjoy.

Esspee Fri 13-May-22 12:51:45

Considering the Queen’s Speech is an essential part of her duties and horses are a hobby I feel she must know how this will appear to the country.

Baggs Fri 13-May-22 12:53:36

Pish. You are just looking for ways to criticise. Most people can think more kindly than that about a 96 year old woman who has more than done her job's duty for the last 70 years.

Esspee Fri 13-May-22 12:58:41

I have great respect for the queen and the way she has conducted herself over her reign. I am not criticising her. I simply think she has used a passive way of signalling her attitude to the present government.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 13-May-22 13:08:38

There is no walking upstairs, wearing an exceptionally heavy crown or reading out a long statement today,

She has just popped out into her garden for a small amount of time. I believe that Louise Windsor is participating in the Carriage Driving Event on the Duke of Edinburgh’s carriage which was gifted to her in his will. If that event is this afternoon I totally understand why HM has attended.

Elegran Fri 13-May-22 13:10:00

She is damned if she eases off on the duties in favour of Charles, and damned if she doesn't.

volver Fri 13-May-22 13:10:06

I think its lovely that a 96 year old should have a day out at an event she has always enjoyed.

I think its a disgrace that we have a system that expects a 96 year old to take a significant part in governance of the country and allows her to delegate to random family members if she is no longer up to the task.

Bossyrossy Fri 13-May-22 13:10:16

As you get older, two days out in a row can be a bit much. HM would not be under the spotlight at the horse show as she would have been making the Queen’s Speech in Parliament. If she had a wobble due to mobility it would not be broadcast on TV across the nation.

Daisend1 Fri 13-May-22 13:21:16

The sudden loss of the Duke of Edinburgh will without a doubt have changed her life and I fore see any thing possible.

maddyone Fri 13-May-22 13:34:34

Esspee

Considering the Queen’s Speech is an essential part of her duties and horses are a hobby I feel she must know how this will appear to the country.

Indeed.

Anniebach Fri 13-May-22 13:36:02

I hope she has a lovely day and to see her granddaughter in her husband’s carriage surely will mean much to her.

As for her delegating some duties to Charles, sensible, she had
no preparation because of her father’s untimely death.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 13-May-22 13:38:31

One would hope that the residents of the U.K. would be empathetic to a 96yr old lady, who has carried out her Royal Duties for 70 years.

Zoejory Fri 13-May-22 13:38:50

Esspee

What on earth do you mean?

Queen's Speech and all that it entails is a lot harder than getting in the car and taking a few steps.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 13-May-22 13:39:45

I agree Anniebach gradually giving Charles more responsibility is the sensible thing to do.

maddyone Fri 13-May-22 13:42:04

The description sudden cannot be used to describe the death of Prince Philip. He was ill for some months before he died. It’s a shame he didn’t quite make it to his 100th birthday, but it was a shame my own father died ten days short of his 90th. At the age of 90 or 100 deaths can hardly be called sudden. They are very sad for the family, but although I grieved for my father, I was pleased that he was only ill for four weeks before he died. I’m sure the royal family, whilst grieving for Prince Philip, will like me, be happy his suffering has ended.

Daddima Fri 13-May-22 13:43:32

I agree with Bossyrossy and Granny Gravy, it’s two entirely different situations. She can head for home today whenever she chooses, whereas she couldn’t at the opening.

Volver Charles is hardly a ‘random family member’, and I don’t think the ‘system’ expects her to do anything. I’d guess it’s her choice, as she seems to believe her role is God given.

And Daisend1, I’m not sure I’d describe the loss of Philip as sudden.

Anniebach Fri 13-May-22 13:45:58

How will this appear to the country ?

To republicans a reason to criticise .

To monarchists and those who don’t care either way they will
see a 96 year woman having an enjoyable day out.

volver Fri 13-May-22 13:49:00

Volver Charles is hardly a ‘random family member’

Perhaps not. But another son and his wife recently went to the Caribbean to represent her. Her grandson hands out the gongs and bops people on the shoulder with a sword. Her daughter tootled off to Australia.

Its a family business. Some of us like it, some don't.

volver Fri 13-May-22 13:49:54

Anniebach

How will this appear to the country ?

To republicans a reason to criticise .

To monarchists and those who don’t care either way they will
see a 96 year woman having an enjoyable day out.

I'm a republican. I said how nice it was she was having a day out.

Please don't generalise.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 13-May-22 14:09:37

Beautiful photo of HM today, and Lady Louise Windsor led the parade in what used to be Prince Phillips carriage.

Aveline Fri 13-May-22 14:53:06

Lovely photo of her looking relaxed and happy on the BBC news website. Seems that she mostly say in the front seat of a car and chatted to people through the window. Enjoying a day out. No serious work involved.

Kim19 Fri 13-May-22 15:00:38

I'm delighted for her whatever she chooses to do.

Ailidh Fri 13-May-22 15:32:52

I'm glad to see her. I was beginning to worry that she'd popped off an they hadn't told us.

As much as I can hold a mild affection for a total stranger, I do for the Queen.

I've been very interested to read over the can't remember how many months not long that I've been a GN-er the various reasoned views on monarchy, I've definitely had my mind stretched on the subject. Thank you.

Jaxjacky Fri 13-May-22 15:41:07

I’m sure she didn’t, but I’d have been ‘can’t be arsed with the boring stuff, I’m going to do something I enjoy’.