Gransnet forums

Chat

What is THE most amazing present you have ever been given ?

(58 Posts)
Serendipity22 Fri 13-May-22 16:37:44

The 1 present that had me speechless, dumbfounded and gobsmacked was ....

My friend asked if I had a recipe for Christmas cake.

I didn't personally but I knew there was 1 that my mum made every year.

I got my mums old recipe book and took a photo of her handwritten recipe for Christmas cake.

Then the day arrived when me and my friend swapped presents, she asked me to open mine there and then, which I did.

There sat in the box was a Christmas cake with the recipe in mums handwriting on top !!

I stared stared and stared because I couldnt take it all in.

I muttered "Thats my mums writing, how has it got on top of this cake?????"

What she had done ( my friend) was found a website that prints ANYTHING onto icing !! So she had made mums Christmas cake and the decorative icing on top was my mums handwriting ..... took me ages to get it 8n my head....

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 13-May-22 16:46:04

That sounds fabulous Serendipity did you make it yourself in future?

My best Christmas present ever was my little Smart car. DH asked what I wanted and was a bit taken aback when I told him. To be honest I'd have been just as thrilled with a Dinky car but to get the real thing was marvelous. It took me another six months to pass my test but hey ho. I'd hate to be without it.

MerylStreep Fri 13-May-22 16:52:26

The biggest surprise was a new car tied up with red ribbon.
But the best one has to be the holiday in Hawaii next year flying business class. Curtesy of my step daughter.
OH also did a surprise holiday some years ago.

BlueBelle Fri 13-May-22 16:53:31

My son now a man in his 50s got his first job aged 16 and that year for my birthday he bought me a new cycle it was a long time afterwards when I was sorting a lot of his ‘left behind after marriage stuff’ I found the card where he had paid every week out of his wages ?

Curlywhirly Fri 13-May-22 17:06:58

BlueBelle

My son now a man in his 50s got his first job aged 16 and that year for my birthday he bought me a new cycle it was a long time afterwards when I was sorting a lot of his ‘left behind after marriage stuff’ I found the card where he had paid every week out of his wages ?

Oh BlueBelle what a lovely story!

Chestnut Fri 13-May-22 17:23:26

It must be my 13th birthday when I got a record player. Heaven! And also the first two Beatles LPs to play 24 hours a day and drive everyone nuts.

Then a couple of years later a tape recorder so we could record pop music really badly from the TV or radio. And record ourselves singing too! Such innocent days.

ShazzaKanazza Fri 13-May-22 17:33:42

I wrote a story dedicated to my family only a short one about a Christmas tree I let my friend read it. She didn’t give me it back but that Christmas she brought it back she’d bound it and her son had illustrated it. There were six books that I could give to my family. I was speechless.

Serendipity22 Fri 13-May-22 18:00:37

Wow, wow and absolutely WOWWWWW to everyone....

I ant signal a single 1 of you out to say WOW... so to everyone WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW

Yes, I have made my mums christmas cake lovebeigecardigan but in all truthfulness, they havent tasted half as good as the 1 my friend made, maybe because of the whole concept of it I dunno but I can tell you that when I put the knife in and cut it up, ohhhhh I felt very sad despite the fact it was MEANT TO BE EATEN....

I didnt even know there was such a thing as printing off anything on icing !!!!!!!

Sparklefizz Fri 13-May-22 18:18:01

Chestnut

It must be my 13th birthday when I got a record player. Heaven! And also the first two Beatles LPs to play 24 hours a day and drive everyone nuts.

Then a couple of years later a tape recorder so we could record pop music really badly from the TV or radio. And record ourselves singing too! Such innocent days.

Chestnut I had a red Dansette exactly the same as yours!

BlueSky Fri 13-May-22 18:19:07

Well a present to myself a few years ago, an iPhone 6+. The best item I’ve ever treated myself with! Goes everywhere with me, couldn’t do without it!

BeEmerald Fri 13-May-22 18:36:54

When I was twelve my father bought me a massive old Imperial typewriter as I wanted to be a journalist. He’d bought it from a local pawn shop making payments on it. Alas I never made it as a journalist but I absolutely loved that typewriter. Wish I still had it as I think they’re worth a fortune nowadays, relics of the past a bit like me ! The other amazing present I had was off a person I thought was my best friend, she gave me a set of His and Hers towels three days before my now ex husband admitted they were having an affair.

Chestnut Fri 13-May-22 18:39:37

Sparklefizz

Chestnut

Chestnut I had a red Dansette exactly the same as yours!

Before anyone accuses me of lying I have to admit I got the picture from the internet, but it was exactly the same as mine (and yours)!

seacliff Fri 13-May-22 18:43:27

Serendipity22 what a very special present. You'll always remember that. It made me think of my Mums 80th Birthday, she was an identical twin and we had a party for them both. We had a cake made with photos of them both as babies, it was just from one of the supermarkets. Not a great photo but it was a lovely cake.

CanadianGran Fri 13-May-22 19:12:31

my DH is very sentimental. He followed the traditional anniversary gifts, and of course for 10 years it's tin. He was teasing that I would get a tin of peaches, but he engraved a poem onto a piece of tin and in a frame. I did receive some jewelery as well, but honestly I can hardly remember what it was.

Over the years I have had so many thoughtful gifts from children and DH. Almost none of them really valuable to anyone but me.

And hearing of your mother's recipe, Serendipity, it reminds me that I took one of my MIL's recipe cards to the framers, where they took a digital copy, and had it framed for my two SIL's , daughter and myself. Something to remember her by.

Witzend Fri 13-May-22 19:20:33

Mine was probably a totally unexpected bouquet of flowers from dh - I was nonplussed, since it wasn’t my birthday or Valentine’s Day and he’s never brought me flowers on random days.

He said it was exactly 50 years to the day since we’d met.
I was dumbfounded that he knew, and must have made a note of it. Although I still remember the occasion very well, I couldn’t even have said what month it was!
So talk about ? and ?.

Chocolatelovinggran Fri 13-May-22 19:43:07

What lovely stories. ?

Kim19 Fri 13-May-22 19:47:28

Undoubtedly my engagement ring. Both the proposal Archie

Kim19 Fri 13-May-22 19:48:03

and his selection were totally unexpected.

Nannylovesshopping Fri 13-May-22 20:17:06

My son bought me a beach hut, I was so happy!

Deedaa Fri 13-May-22 20:27:23

I've said it before but I had my best ever present when I was six. We used to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas Day with my grandparents and when we came home on Christmas evening I was taken into our living room. Under our christmas tree was the most incredible dapple grey rocking horse! My father had made it for me (Heaven knows where he found the time) and at that age it was the size of a real pony to me. I've never had anything so absolutely perfect since and I rode it for years.

Loulelady Fri 13-May-22 20:31:00

When I was six or seven I woke up in the middle of the night on Christmas Eve and my bedroom was gently bathed in the lights of a dolls house that had real electric lighting. I knew he'd been but drifted off. In the morning it was still there and it hadn't been a dream!

I really felt such wonder. It was so beautiful.

crazyH Fri 13-May-22 20:36:18

My first iPad. The 3 children got me an iPad for Xmas, when it first came out. I think it was the iPad2. I’ve never been so excited. I’ve had a couple more since then but I’ve got the original one, even though the screen is cracked (I was dozing, it fell off my hand, on to the hard floor) I turn it on first thing in the morning. And it’s the last thing I turn off before going to sleep.

Shinamae Fri 13-May-22 20:45:11

Lovely,lovely stories..?

Serendipity22 Fri 13-May-22 20:50:53

Reading all these fills me warmth, wonderful, just wonderful, such happy, warm memories. Xx

Nannarose Fri 13-May-22 22:23:31

Wonderful stories, full of love (with apologies to BeEmerald!)
Mine was my first Mothering Sunday as a mother. Some sad & difficult things had happened in our family, unconnected with our baby but I was feeling a bit low and anxious. My DH worked long & difficult hours, and despite our wonderful baby it wasn't the happiest time.
DH, who was away, sent me a beautiful bunch of flowers. We could ill afford them, and part of me thought them wasteful. But they looked so beautiful, and as I stood arranging them, a rainbow came out, and suddenly the world began to feel a bit better. Those 'wasteful' flowers gave me strength to get my world back on its axis, and I have never forgotten them.