Gransnet forums

Chat

My on line (near) disaster order

(14 Posts)
maydonoz Tue 17-May-22 18:37:47

About 3 wks ago I placed an order on line for three dresses. I planned to choose one and return the other two.
We were sent a tracking number and we realised the goods were coming from China.
We kept tracking this no. for 2 wks and finally saw the message that the package had been delivered. There was no note left, not left with neighbours and when we managed to speak to Royal mail we found out that we had the wrong tracking no. and that particular delivery had gone to Northern Ireland.
To cut a long story short, it was a fake website and we had been scammed. Luckily we had paid through PayPal and will be refunded.
The young man on the PayPal line told me that this company had not sent out any goods and was fake.
I was searching for a dress to wear to my son's wedding in less than 3 wks so I will have to go back to the shops and hopefully find something suitable.
This experience has put me right off on line shopping.
How have you done and do you prefer on line or the real shopping experience?

Gongoozler Tue 17-May-22 18:43:41

What a nightmare! So glad you got your money back.
Prefer local shopping, but it isn’t always possible.

maddyone Tue 17-May-22 18:51:39

Just use reliable sites if shopping online. Monsoon, Joules, Phase Eight and others. QVC also do a lot of clothes. Stick to what you know. Roman Originals do some nice things too.

BeEmerald Tue 17-May-22 18:55:41

maydonaz oh poor you ! Thank heavens PayPal will refund you but you’ve still had all the stress waiting for the imaginary parcel and now have to find a dress.
As I’m famous for my dress style ( think bag lady rocking Worzel Gummidge ) I buy most of my clothes from supermarkets. Online it’s John Lewis/ Roman Originals for fancy togs ( not needed any longer ) or Old Faithful ( M&S ) for underpinnings.
It’s easy to get caught out by fake online companies. My daughter in law got tricked when she was buying wigs after losing her hair. The site she ordered from was a duplicate of the real one.

Georgesgran Tue 17-May-22 19:22:47

When I was looking for a jacket for DD2s wedding I found what I wanted on the Hobbs website. Tried to order, but it wouldn’t go through. Gave it an hour and tried again, but again without success. Rang the helpline and was told to try again which I did and this time the order was accepted. You can imagine my face when a delivery van rolled up and the chap took three identical boxes out and brought them to my front door! Three jackets, same colour, same size and at £250 each – £750 on my credit card! To make matters worse I had to pay the credit card in full as I knew the 2 refunds would come through too late. Must admit I check and double check now before I press buy!

Soroptimum Tue 17-May-22 19:32:19

I’ve just bought a pair of sandals online that I thought were Clark’s. Didn’t check the comments first, when I did I realised that it was a Chinese company pretending to be Clark’s. Too late! Desperately tried to cancel the credit card to no avail. Said sandals have now been delivered. Absolutely awful quality, won’t be wearing them. Lesson learnt!

maydonoz Tue 17-May-22 21:02:11

Thank you all for your comments and tips. There are some nice dresses on Cotton Traders but I'm hoping to visit a shopping centre at the weekend and fingers crossed will find something lovely!
Meanwhile I'm trying not to panic!
I can't believe those fake websites look so legit, they were advertising Jacques Vert dresses.

M0nica Tue 17-May-22 21:31:09

I prefer to handle and try on clothes before I buy them, so do not buy much online. But when I do I stick to known retailers. although even that can not be relied on.

I have bought clothes quite regulalry in H&M and been pleased with the quality. I then ordered a sweater from their web site and the quality was so poor and the product so shoddy, a market trader would have been ashamed to put it in his bargain box.

granmeg Tue 17-May-22 21:45:44

I almost fell for that Clark's scam, too. It came up in my Facebook feed. I just happened to look to see if they were available in a local store and couldn't find the style. Then I looked at all the comments from people who hadn't received their order. I reported it via FB.

Teacheranne Wed 18-May-22 02:40:24

maydonoz

Thank you all for your comments and tips. There are some nice dresses on Cotton Traders but I'm hoping to visit a shopping centre at the weekend and fingers crossed will find something lovely!
Meanwhile I'm trying not to panic!
I can't believe those fake websites look so legit, they were advertising Jacques Vert dresses.

I buy a lot from Cotton Traders and they are very quick with deliveries so if you can’t find anything in the shops, you still have time to order from them.

I ordered a tunic top last Friday and it was delivered to me on Monday - amazing really!

rosie1959 Wed 18-May-22 04:07:48

I tend to buy quite a lot of my clothes on line but only from certain suppliers I trust. For dresses I look at Roman John Lewis Boden or seasalt.
I actually prefer to see the garments in a shop but with some of these suppliers we just don't have any outlets near enough.

Ailidh Wed 18-May-22 05:12:34

I buy all my clothes either from charity shops or from an online company called Euphoria. Some of their clothes can be a bit voluminous, which if you're 5'2" and roundy, is not a good look but great if you're taller. Bright and cheerful, fast delivery times and great customer service. UK based, although the garments are not, EU, I think, but they don't try and sell what they haven't got.

Cabbie21 Sat 21-May-22 10:59:10

Does anone have any recommendations for sites selling good quality nearly new clothing in plus sizes ? Not ebay please.

seacliff Sat 21-May-22 11:11:07

I have a small cotton traders outlet about 10 miles from me , not much choice of stock. I can order online and get all delivered to the shop, then try on and decide what I want to keep. The shop return the rejects free of charge