Gransnet forums

Chat

How Much????

(107 Posts)
vegansrock Wed 18-May-22 07:21:23

I know we have been getting used to rising prices over the last couple of years - but yesterday I was at a very child friendly museum and GC wanted an ice lolly. Good idea I said - it was a hot day - went to the cafe where I was shocked to note that a small toddler sized rocket ice lolly was £2.50! An ice cream cone - one scoop £3, two scoops £5. A small bag of crisps - £1.50. A round of ice creams for a family could be £20- that on top of travel, entry fees to the special exhibitions, food and drinks etc. would make an expensive day out. I haven’t had to buy an ice lolly for ages so I was shocked by the prices. I’m sure they were less than £1 a couple of years ago. I know I could make my own, take a picnic etc ( I do) but you can’t pack ice lollies for a hot day out. Any other price rises taken you by surprise?

Kim19 Wed 18-May-22 07:26:07

Yes....prunes £2:00 to £2:85 in a oner. Milk £1:15, £1;

Kim19 Wed 18-May-22 07:27:00

£1:19, £1:24 and £1:29 last night.

Dickens Wed 18-May-22 08:36:25

Those inflated prices will deter people from buying.

Universally this will mean lower levels of consumer spending, which will result in a fall in sales for businesses. Who will then fail to invest - and will employ less people.

Can you see where all this is leading?

maddyone Wed 18-May-22 08:41:47

Yes Dickens we’ll go into recession with all the attendant problems associated with that.

AGAA4 Wed 18-May-22 08:42:34

can you see where all this is leading
Many of us can. Pity the government can't.

GagaJo Wed 18-May-22 09:13:22

AGAA4

^can you see where all this is leading^
Many of us can. Pity the government can't.

It's because the concept of having no money left after essentials are paid is alien to them. They assume the middle classes can just absorb the increases and ignore the fact that the poor will actively have to go without essentials.

Franbern Wed 18-May-22 09:40:00

Staying with my daughter last weekend, she was going to a 50th birthday party on the Saturday night, so before she dropped me back at her house (she had picked me up from where I had been that day), decided to treat myself to fish and chips for supper. Insisted I paid (it was for me), gave her a ten pound note - just a local shop in a suburb - she got the smaller size and there was NO CHANGE at all from that ten pounds. I was a little taken aback. Nice fishnchips though. I thoroughly enjoyed my own little treat - rarely have these (or any other ready or takeaway meal), at those prices likely to be rarer still!!!w

timetogo2016 Wed 18-May-22 09:50:07

The butter i buy has gone up from £1,89 to £2,45,so i`m not buying it,cereal has gone up as has pretty much everything else i but,so cutting back on loads.
Bread especially.

Grammaretto Wed 18-May-22 09:51:39

fish and chips are a luxury these days!
I agree about the cost of taking the family for a day out, or several.
I paid £9.50 for 1 coffee, 1 tea and half a cake in a small side street cafe in Edinburgh last week. When I told my friend she said "that's normal".

We were often mean with our 4 and watched their longing faces at the ice-cream vans with a promise of "wait until we get home". That was the 1970s and 80s.

maddyone Wed 18-May-22 10:05:46

Yes agree Grammaretto. Whilst we apparently have 9% inflation today, and that’s a bad thing and will reflect more on poorer members of society, I remember well that when bringing up our children, we simply could not afford to go into cafes and get drinks and cake. It was just too expensive for us.

Sago Wed 18-May-22 11:19:25

We have been caring for our 2 grandchildren of 2 and 7 for the past 8 days, on Sunday we took them to an outdoor activity park called Bewilderwood.
Entry for the 3 of us ( under 93cm height is free) was £48.
We took a picnic and told the 7 year old we were not going into the souvenir shop!
We got away with just £10 on a coffee, raisins, crisps and an ice cream, lunch and a souvenir shop visit would have pushed it up to £100+
It’s a huge expense for most families but to be fair the whole place was clean, safe and very well run with lots of visible staff.

travelnan Wed 18-May-22 11:46:16

My daughter and I went to a local garden centre last week. We had one hot chocolate, one coffee a piece of shortbread and a slice of lemon drizzle cake £14.50. Think I will forgo refreshments in future.

Happygirl79 Wed 18-May-22 12:07:53

No spare money to spend at all to eat out. Not even for a snack
The packet of ham I used to buy from Lidl has gone up from £1.50 to £2.29 I don't buy it now

Elizabeth27 Wed 18-May-22 12:12:18

I am sure many on here will remember the late 1970s when interest rates were 17% and prices were going up daily.

crazyH Wed 18-May-22 12:13:59

It’s always more expensive in these touristy places. If you’re going out for the day, take a packed lunch and a flask.

Casdon Wed 18-May-22 12:53:53

Elizabeth27

I am sure many on here will remember the late 1970s when interest rates were 17% and prices were going up daily.

That’s where we are headed. The Bank of England sees as much, in the face of the governments denials. I’ve been making use of the current deals and filling my freezer and store cupboard with items I know I’ll definitely use next winter, to try to mitigate some of the price rises. I just found out you can freeze butter, which I’ve never done before. My son drinks Kenco Millicano coffee, which had gone up to £5.25 for 100g tin in Morrisons last week. I refused to pay that much, and was lucky enough to see 170g tins for £4.99 in B&M a few days later, so I got two. Shopping around is going to be essential I think from now on.

Glorianny Wed 18-May-22 13:00:11

The huge rise in fuel costs will hit cafe owners particularly hard.

3nanny6 Wed 18-May-22 13:08:34

I often took two of my grand-daughters to a garden center with me which has a large cafeteria where you can sit inside on warm days there is seating outside all very nice. The bowls of chips were always hot and well cooked (freshly done in the kitchen) and only £1.25p. What I found to be so expensive was the large various cakes all covered over and fresh. The cake was £4.50p a slice and the grand-daughters were always attracted to it and wanted a slice each. That was the price before Covid came and I have not been at the center since then. I would like to know how much that cake is now I think I will pop over there without the grand-daughters and have a look. I would not pay that price for cake anymore much too expensive for a treat at the garden center.

BlueBelle Wed 18-May-22 14:28:08

Well many of us saw where this was going two years ago

Not food but yesterday as my Co worker and I left work there was a truck parked near my house with about a dozen trees in the open back the driver was out having a breath of fresh air or maybe a ciggy but he was near by
Being curious we had a closer look they were olive trees with price tags on each one they were £2050 each, yes you read that correctly I didn’t make a mistake
Who the heck would be buying them my town is considered a deprived area !!

welbeck Wed 18-May-22 16:26:16

why can't the GDs share a piece of cake.
that would be my offer. seems reasonable to me.
likewise the son and his expensive brand of coffee; unless he is shelling out for it, why should mother be schlepping around trying to find it for a few pence cheaper.
just because someone, usually a younger person, wants something does not translate into therefore they must have it, not in my world anyway.

Petera Wed 18-May-22 16:32:56

BlueBelle

Well many of us saw where this was going two years ago

Not food but yesterday as my Co worker and I left work there was a truck parked near my house with about a dozen trees in the open back the driver was out having a breath of fresh air or maybe a ciggy but he was near by
Being curious we had a closer look they were olive trees with price tags on each one they were £2050 each, yes you read that correctly I didn’t make a mistake
Who the heck would be buying them my town is considered a deprived area !!

It was probably someone taking advice from a Conservative MP: "Save money by growing your own olives!"

Boz Wed 18-May-22 16:38:12

Lurpak butter has shocked me; now £4.24 to £4.50 a tub. I think I was paying £2.85 last year.

Jaxjacky Wed 18-May-22 16:42:47

We get a large cod and chips, which we share as there’s plenty, £9.70.

Boz Wed 18-May-22 16:48:32

There is a need to increase benefit payments for the poorest in society. But I fear this runs contra to Tory Values as once you increase benefits it is harder to reign them back in better times. Plus a tendency to apply middle-class values (use your savings; cheaper clothes and holidays etc.) to people who can't afford anything. Tories are very suspicious of the poor - seeing scroungers and blindsiding those in need.
A start would be free school meals all year round. Let's feed the children, at least.