Gransnet forums

Chat

Iceland to offer over 60's a ten per cent discount

(99 Posts)
infoman Thu 19-May-22 17:00:04

on Tuesdays only,might ease the cost of buying food.

Polly73 Thu 19-May-22 17:24:13

Not the healthiest of supermarkets? (I don’t know, don’t go there - but I have the idea it’s mainly fast foods?)

dogsmother Thu 19-May-22 17:41:52

How kind of them, I use a lot of the frozen veg from there, spinach, corn, I am fortunate in that I have access to several shops that being one.

Galaxy Thu 19-May-22 17:43:09

They were particularly supportive to vulnerable people during the pandemic I thought.

Grandmadinosaur Thu 19-May-22 17:49:57

Polly73

Not the healthiest of supermarkets? (I don’t know, don’t go there - but I have the idea it’s mainly fast foods?)

They do sell fish, meats, bread etc as well as a range of fresh fruit and vegetables. Not to sound patronising but I’m sure there will be a lot of people who will appreciate and make use of this help. Maybe other supermarkets will follow suit.

MissAdventure Thu 19-May-22 18:02:37

They sell just the same as other supermarkets, just less choice in the fresh, and more in the frozen options.
Fruit, veg, potatoes, toilet rolls, bread etc.

I think the minimum order for free delivery is less, too.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 19-May-22 18:27:32

We buy all our fish there. Their large sea bass fillets are lovely.Then their jumbo Ramsden battered fish are great. Their salmon fillets are the best I have tried. Loads of healthy things including frozen veg in plentiful supply. Good value I would say and not cheap.

Jaxjacky Thu 19-May-22 18:31:51

They sell plenty of fresh food Polly73 not everyone can afford the ‘big’ supermarkets and it does sound a bit patronising Grandmadinosaur.
Well done them ???

Kate1949 Thu 19-May-22 18:37:21

I love Iceland. We have a delivery from them every now and then. No it's not just fast food as others have said. They do salads, veg, fruit, cheese, fresh meat etc. All good quality at reasonable prices we have found.

silverlining48 Thu 19-May-22 18:37:30

We used Iceland initially when delivery wasn’t possible and our dd got us a slot. We didn’t pay delivery charge if goods worth £40 were ordered. We don’t eat ready made food but got some fish and it was fine.
I was grateful to be honest, it saw us out until we could get veg etc from a lorry parked in a pub car park ...... what a lark that was. My neighbour offered me a cabbage and I was so happy. We still laugh about it now.

Kate1949 Thu 19-May-22 18:38:29

I agree re the salmon fillets Lovetopaint.

Shandy57 Thu 19-May-22 18:43:09

I've just read about this on Facebook, fantastic. I think they are open late so working people will be able to benefit.

varian Thu 19-May-22 18:52:35

I live about fifteen miles from my nearest Iceland. Not only would I have to pay for the petrol but I would need to pay for town center parking, so I would have to but rather a lot to make the savings worthwhile.

silverlining48 Thu 19-May-22 19:05:45

Delivery varian? It was free over £40 spend.

MerylStreep Thu 19-May-22 19:11:22

And their own label products have no palm oil

BlueBelle Thu 19-May-22 19:19:03

I don’t dislike Iceland at all and they did serve me well for deliveries in the early days of lock down
Good of them I ll have to go after work Tuesday

MissAdventure Thu 19-May-22 19:19:46

And their free range eggs are an excellent price, too.

ayse Thu 19-May-22 19:20:07

I’ll have to check Iceland out again. I buy frozen fish, chips for DH and some veg. If they’re cheaper than Aldi I may go for it.

Went to our local indoor market today and bought a big bag of small pears and big bag of clementines, both for a £1 each. Big bag of toms for £1.00 and a huge cauliflower for 29p. Their cucumbers and celery were more expensive than Aldi. I’ll be going there at least once a week.

Anyway, thanks for the info about Iceland.

MissAdventure Thu 19-May-22 19:26:49

Ruddy typical.
I'm "only" 59. smile

varian Thu 19-May-22 19:29:54

silverlining48

Delivery varian? It was free over £40 spend.

Sadly Iceland do not deliver to us in the back of beyond.

silverlining48 Thu 19-May-22 19:38:14

Ah, ok.

travelsafar Thu 19-May-22 21:22:49

Our branch sells cleaning products, toiletries, teabags, coffee etc too. Not a huge range but prices are comparable to other stores and if you are eligible for the discount what's not to like.

Callistemon21 Thu 19-May-22 21:32:59

MissAdventure

Ruddy typical.
I'm "only" 59. smile

I'm hoping to go in there and for someone to say "Surely you're to young to qualify for the discount!"
I don't think it's going to happen, though.

No, you might be surprised, Polly73.
Frozen vegetables may have more nutrients than fresh veg which has been sitting on supermarket shelves.

Libman Thu 19-May-22 21:34:20

Not all frozen food is unhealthy. I tend to avoid the ready made processed foods ( although I do have the occasional blip) but see no reason not to buy frozen meat, fish, veg etc. Iceland also sell a small range of fresh food. As someone mentioned they do not support products using palm oil or GM foods.

Nannagarra Thu 19-May-22 21:42:21

As well as salmon fillets, I buy scallops, king prawns and mozzarella in Iceland which I can recommend. Thanks for the thread infoman.