Gransnet forums

Chat

Different day, different replies

(23 Posts)
Vintagejazz Fri 20-May-22 11:11:33

I was reading a thread on here recently where everyone was in agreement with the OP.

I saw almost the exact same issue being raised on a thread about a year ago and the OP got lots of snippy responses and was generally told she was being unreasonable.

It's not the first time I've noticed this and wonder if the first few responses usually set the tone, or if it just takes a couple of posters in a bad mood to turn a thread sour?

Elizabeth27 Fri 20-May-22 11:48:33

It depends on who is posting, if someone with “friends” on here posts they will all agree and then anyone that disagrees knows they will get the snippy responses.

timetogo2016 Fri 20-May-22 11:57:16

Thought the very same Elizabeth27.

Blossoming Fri 20-May-22 11:59:12

Sometimes the wording of the OP sets the tone of the responses. Without knowing which 2 threads you are referencing it’s difficult to say.

Spinnaker Fri 20-May-22 12:00:39

Ditto to all the above

Namsnanny Fri 20-May-22 12:09:40

Elizabeth27

It depends on who is posting, if someone with “friends” on here posts they will all agree and then anyone that disagrees knows they will get the snippy responses.

I've often wondered if this is the case.
Of course the same thread topic could get different responses at different times though. I should think it's because different people are on the site that day.
I sometimes have a bet with myself as to who will respond and what they are likely to say?
Passes for fun in my neck of the woods!

Vintagejazz Fri 20-May-22 12:49:50

Blossoming

Sometimes the wording of the OP sets the tone of the responses. Without knowing which 2 threads you are referencing it’s difficult to say.

That's actually very true. I have often changed the wording of an opening post to try and pre empt any misunderstandings (deliberate or otherwise!) or to avoid someone taking offence where none was intended.

Hithere Fri 20-May-22 13:29:21

I do observe the same trend - posters agree with the first comments till a different pov is posted

A year also makes a huge difference.
It may also depend on the background of the poster.
So many factors that may contribute to this

FannyCornforth Fri 20-May-22 13:51:07

Absolutely Blossoming
You’re spot on there

FannyCornforth Fri 20-May-22 13:52:06

In a few words, can you tell us what the issue was? Unless it’s really contentious of course

Vintagejazz Fri 20-May-22 13:53:17

I also think if the first couple of replies are particularly rude or spiteful people who agree with the OP may just think ' oh I don't want to get into argy bargy with them' and the thread just becomes an echo chamber.

Vintagejazz Fri 20-May-22 14:01:43

Not Really FannyCornforth without this being a thread about a thread. It was sort of on the lines of an issue that both posters felt was anti social. The first poster was told she was being intolerant, that's part of modern day life etc. The second poster was sympathised with.

But I've seen it on all sorts of posts.

GagaJo Fri 20-May-22 14:31:40

I also think it depends if the OP is easily intimidated. The 'strong characters' on here can scare off those who don't have thick skin. Those that can fight their corner can turn threads around.

AreWeThereYet Fri 20-May-22 14:44:42

A year is a long time on GN. Lots of different poster now. Maybe posters not reading the OP properly and responding to what they thought it said, rather than to what it did say. Many posters don't even read the thread (you can tell from their response) so are unlikely to be swayed by others.

I sometimes wander off into the archives and read old threads and have seen the same poster giving vastly different responses to the same question on different threads. Maybe one occasion was on a bad day?

FannyCornforth Fri 20-May-22 15:25:38

Thankyou VJ, that’s more than enough!

welbeck Fri 20-May-22 15:36:55

sounds like children making noise in back gardens, or screaming from next door neighbours through walls.

Nannagarra Fri 20-May-22 16:01:56

Vintagejazz

I also think if the first couple of replies are particularly rude or spiteful people who agree with the OP may just think ' oh I don't want to get into argy bargy with them' and the thread just becomes an echo chamber.

This. If my response differs from the majority or posters with strong opinions are on the thread I scroll past.

BlueBelle Fri 20-May-22 16:20:54

I ve never noticed it …..except for a year or so ago there was a thread about Johnson with lots of love and cuddles the more recent threads have not had any of the love bombing posts or posters ??

AGAA4 Fri 20-May-22 16:42:55

I think my opinions have changed over the years so I must post differently than I used to. I have never love bombed Boris though and never would. Bombed maybe?

BlueSky Fri 20-May-22 17:50:04

Agree Elizabeth. Spot on!

Kathy72 Fri 20-May-22 18:11:14

I agree with Elizabeth I think some posters have a clique of friends who rush to support them. Some posters - a handful, they know who they are - are very dismissive and rude to others, but are rarely called out.

Vintagejazz Fri 20-May-22 19:54:25

I do think there are some long standing posters who are allowed be really nasty and unpleasant at times and who are not called out on it. I remember being bewildered as to why a poster was able to just carry on being spiteful and hurtful to another poster and everyone stayed silent. Then it became obvious from another thread that she was well known and had been to meet ups.

Sara1954 Fri 20-May-22 20:12:15

If the first few replies are basically the same, and I feel differently I never get involved.
You end up either being ignored or criticised, not much fun either way.