Gransnet forums

Chat

Young people and photographs

(42 Posts)
Sallywally1 Fri 20-May-22 18:01:08

Why is it that young folk stick out their tongues for photos, or get people to take one of them looking at their phones?

Genuine question.

Ps I don’t let anyone take my picture under any circumstances!

Esspee Fri 20-May-22 18:25:07

Gosh, those are not the kind of photographs I thought your thread title was alluding to Sallywally.

What about all the trout pouts, dick pics, and full frontals?

The photos of them holding their phones are usually mirror photos. Moronic young people taking such photos tend to spend a lot of time alone in their room.

Chestnut Fri 20-May-22 18:30:28

What amazes me is how acceptable it is to take a picture of yourself pouting or posing at the camera, trying to look sexy or whatever. Back in our day taking a picture of yourself would have been seen as incredibly vain. I remember taking one in the 1960s in a mirror and I actually felt quite guilty at posing for the camera on my own.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 20-May-22 18:46:02

The nearest I ever got to that was a strip of photos from a photo booth in which I looked like a scared rabbit. Back in the 60s. I hate those pictures with tongues sticking out. Revolting.

maddyone Fri 20-May-22 18:49:59

I hate the trout pout photos, particularly when quite young children are told to pose this way, and then the parents put them on Facebook. I think it sexualises young girls far too early. Maybe I’m just prude, but I don’t like it.

V3ra Fri 20-May-22 20:14:06

No you're not a prude maddyone.
I see pictures of two young girls (5 and 12) posing with a pout on their face and their hands on one hip and I really don't like it ?

HowVeryDareYou Fri 20-May-22 20:31:11

I hate to see people sticking out their tongues in photos. It looks stupid. I hate having my photo taken, but my son says he wants photos of us so that his children remember us in years to come.

Hithere Fri 20-May-22 21:35:42

This is the second or third thread with same complaint.

It is the fashionable thing to do, period

What did you do in your youth that was frown upon by older generation?

Honestly, how people decide to take their own pics is none of your business. Live and let live

Namsnanny Fri 20-May-22 21:39:40

Anyone can have a question or point of view about other peoples choices Hithere

Chestnut Fri 20-May-22 23:49:32

Surely that is what the thread is about. It's the sheer stupidity of posing with pouts or tongues out. Why would anyone want to look so stupid and what is wrong with a normal smile? No-one looks genuinely happy any more, they just POSE and they all look exactly the same.

FarNorth Sat 21-May-22 06:36:03

You're right about the posing - I've seen people look perfectly normal one minute then getting into a completely fake pose for a photo.

I do think girls and young women are being encouraged to be far too sexualised.

timetogo2016 Sat 21-May-22 09:44:17

It baffles me more when they take photo`s of a meal they intend to eat.

LauraNorderr Sat 21-May-22 09:49:12

If I try a trout pout it looks more like a dogs bottom.

TerriBull Sat 21-May-22 10:45:13

They've got their selfies, but we had our photo booths now generally used for severe faced passport photographs or other id only. Anyone remember piling into one with a couple of friends, striking a pose and then waiting around for the ridiculous amazing result 3 or 4 minutes later, accompanied by shrieks of laughter!

henetha Sat 21-May-22 10:48:41

I'm photo-phobic too, Sallywally.
I find it sad to see young girls being too sexualised, or whatever, these days, and hope they are in the minority.
I love the internet but it does have it's downsides.

Namsnanny Sat 21-May-22 12:45:53

LauraNorderr

If I try a trout pout it looks more like a dogs bottom.

Well, the truth is it's all about reminding men of women's genitalia, (as if they needed any help in that dept)
So its definitely part of normalising the sexualisation of young girls.

Violettham Sat 21-May-22 12:57:47

Thankyou for the laugh LauraNorderr Ineeded that this morning

Chestnut Sat 21-May-22 14:26:28

Well, the truth is it's all about reminding men of women's genitalia, (as if they needed any help in that dept)

And as usual Madonna leads the way in obscene and age-inappropriate images.

JaneJudge Sat 21-May-22 14:30:30

I had no idea pouting = vulva
wtf

I am going to have to bleach my brain

DillytheGardener Sat 21-May-22 14:39:52

JaneJudge can’t unsee it ??

Namsnanny Sat 21-May-22 14:57:43

JaneJudge

I had no idea pouting = vulva
wtf

I am going to have to bleach my brain

?? I know how you feel!

Hithere Sat 21-May-22 16:03:47

It is trily disgusting seeing posters assign ulterior motives to a pout in a pic - uterly revolting and sick

Isn't there more important things to take care of? Jfc

Hithere Sat 21-May-22 16:18:29

Aren't not isnt

sodapop Sat 21-May-22 17:16:45

Chestnut

*Well, the truth is it's all about reminding men of women's genitalia, (as if they needed any help in that dept)*

And as usual Madonna leads the way in obscene and age-inappropriate images.

The last pic I saw of Madonna and tree was truly horrible Chestnut

Chestnut Sat 21-May-22 17:45:43

Hithere

It is trily disgusting seeing posters assign ulterior motives to a pout in a pic - uterly revolting and sick

Isn't there more important things to take care of? Jfc

It's not an ulterior motive, it's a known fact, although I'm sure a lot of youngsters have no idea what they're doing when they have lip fillers and pout at the camera. So it's not always deliberate on their part.