Gransnet forums

Chat

Lost Perfumes

(130 Posts)
CatsCatsCats Mon 23-May-22 10:50:15

Does anybody else mourn the perfumes they once used to love but have now been discontinued?

I have a preference for sweet perfumes and two of my favourites are no longer on the shelves - Feminine by D&G, and Jaipur by Boucheron.

I keep hoping they will come back in a blaze of glory some day.

Samsara is still in existence, though, so I'm not entirely bereft.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 23-May-22 10:55:44

CatsCatsCats if you like sweet perfumes have a sniff of Penhaligon, Jo Loves or Jo Malone. They have a wide range.

GagaJo Mon 23-May-22 10:57:09

I love greeny, fresh smells. My favourite used to be Tendre Poison. Nothing like the heavy, original poison. Light, fresh, very clean smell. Discontinued in 1994. I've never really found one to replace it although I make do with Light Blue. The real thing is by Dolce & Gabbana (expensive) but I've got a knock off one that smells identical.

FannyCornforth Mon 23-May-22 11:01:04

Me and another poster (who I am sure will be here soon!) are on a quest for a replacement for the original Eau de Givenchy.

Kim19 Mon 23-May-22 11:01:31

Yes. Hartnell's In love for me. What I would give to recapture.

NotSpaghetti Mon 23-May-22 11:04:28

I always loved Samsara on others but it never suited my skin Cats

I loved Fleur du Mâle by Jean Paul Gaultier on my husband though - and the fragrance Pansy from Cosmetics to Go. Both gone.

FannyCornforth Mon 23-May-22 11:04:39

There is a perfume on the market called Eau de Givenchy - but it smells nothing like the original.
To my shame, I told ‘the other poster’ about said fragrance before trying it myself; and now we are both quids down with another useless bottle of pong (and it does)

Georgesgran Mon 23-May-22 11:12:49

I’m lucky that Obsession is still around (from 1985). I’ve had a bit of a fling with Jo Malone but always return. Wear it every day and 3 bottles last a year. Sadly, there’s nothing else left in the range - used to be soap, talc, a stick deodorant and body lotion, but all gone.

SueDonim Mon 23-May-22 11:25:17

For winter I loved Ferre by Ferre. Sadly discontinued. However, the new version of Opium is very nice.

For summer I wear Chanel Eau Fraiche, which is light and citrusy. You might like it, Gagajo if you like a fresh scent.

Witzend Mon 23-May-22 11:25:50

GagaJo

I love greeny, fresh smells. My favourite used to be Tendre Poison. Nothing like the heavy, original poison. Light, fresh, very clean smell. Discontinued in 1994. I've never really found one to replace it although I make do with Light Blue. The real thing is by Dolce & Gabbana (expensive) but I've got a knock off one that smells identical.

Cabotine is a lovely, fresh, green one, and still (I think) available online. At least I hope it’s still the same!

I always loved Worth’s Je Reviens. Still ostensibly available online, but to me it just doesn’t smell quite the same.

Antonia Mon 23-May-22 11:36:21

I used to love the citrus scent of Aqua Manda, many years ago. I found some online but it was so disappointing. It was nothing like the original.

Yammy Mon 23-May-22 11:38:45

I'm at DD's at the moment and going through her collection non of it has the light airy smell that Eau de Givenchy had. I also liked Eau Svelte by Dior and that's stopped too.
I'm now on Eau de Sezanne but the has to come from Paris and is a jar rather than a bottle is difficult to take on holiday.
One poster kindly suggested a much cheaper one to try. Who wants to pay 60 to 70 pounds for it to lie in a drawer untouched. Why do they have to change them?sad

paddyann54 Mon 23-May-22 11:44:58

I used to buy A'Toi by Atkinsons but it disappeared decades ago.It was the first perfume I bought myself when I was about 15 and I wore it for years ,it was Aqua Manda for work as it was cheaper and I bought that for my 15 year old GD last year who has been wearing it as she asked me where I bought it so she could get some more /

BlueSky Mon 23-May-22 12:28:00

My all time perfume, Shalimar, is still available but doesn’t seem to be popular or even known in the UK. I get my supply in the duty free shop when on holidays, and yes I’ve now run out. Time for travelling again soon I guess!

tanith Mon 23-May-22 12:33:50

Shalimar and Samsara (my son & daughters names coincidentally) are my favourites also my all time favourite was L'Heure Bleu but its so expensive and hard to source.

Philippa111 Mon 23-May-22 12:34:24

I loved Quadrille by Balenciaga. I always missed that but I now use Eau du Soir by Sisley..

BlueSky Mon 23-May-22 12:44:45

Tanith cannot beat Guerlain in my opinion! When in Paris I loved visiting their shop on the Champs Élysées!

Audi10 Mon 23-May-22 12:47:01

Mostly musk body shop that was my signature scent in early twenties

CatsCatsCats Mon 23-May-22 12:50:14

BlueSky Yes, duty free is where I get mine from - good excuse for a holiday.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 23-May-22 13:41:57

tanith naming your children has made you easily identifiable. You may want to have it deleted.

Dee1012 Mon 23-May-22 13:43:03

I absolutely loved Sicily by D&G, so hard to find and way out of my budget now.

rubysong Mon 23-May-22 14:10:43

How I miss Fendi! I wish I had known it going to be stopped. I would have stocked up.

Nannee49 Mon 23-May-22 14:44:58

First 'proper' perfume Miss Dior sadly nothing like it's current incarnation. When I was a young teen I used to love Yardley's Freesia but I bought an original tiny bottle online a while ago and it's disgusting!

Lost favourites also include Vent Vert by Balmain and Weil de Weil by Weil, would love to smell them once more.

MrsKen33 Mon 23-May-22 14:48:04

Mitsouko is hard to get now. A very loved person gave it to me many years ago.

Catterygirl Mon 23-May-22 17:30:07

Have any of you heard of Bal a Versailles by Jean Desprez? Used to be available in Harrods and Fortnum and Masons but now buy from the USA. Not as strong as it used to be.