Gransnet forums

Chat

What Inventions would YOU make if you could?

(47 Posts)
Poppyjo Tue 24-May-22 22:39:42

For me it would be windscreen wipers for spectacles and oh for a bigger tea bag to save me using two every time. Self peeling potatoes and bleach remover for clothes which always get spoiled by bleach splashes.

I guess I must be getting lazy in my old age ?

StarDreamer Tue 24-May-22 22:41:57

NHS for animals.

MawtheMerrier Tue 24-May-22 23:08:55

Good grief no. My dog gets infinitely better health care than I do.
I’m seriously thinking of registering at our local vets. You ring up in the morning for an appointment and it’s “Certainly Mrs Maw, would you like this morning or would this afternoon suit better?” And she gets treats from the receptionist!

StarDreamer Tue 24-May-22 23:16:56

People can go private too if they can afford to do so.

I have found the NHS to be wonderful.

MawtheMerrier Tue 24-May-22 23:38:42

But do you get treats (and cuddles?)

Chestnut Tue 24-May-22 23:54:15

I have invented an invention many times but had no way of making it a reality. I know exactly what I want to do but no idea how to do it. Some of them were really good! I can't remember any of them now, should have written them down. I genuinely believe I could have made some great things but my brain has slowed down now, so the chance has gone.

biglouis Wed 25-May-22 00:14:17

A house that cleans itself because I despise housework

A TV which finds all the programs I would enjoy without my having to look and simply presents them to me

A computer that sorts through my email for me and sends replies.

A freezer that stock itself

A door that tells salespeople, charity chuggers, religious etc that I am not accepting calls and to jog on.

StarDreamer Wed 25-May-22 00:35:43

Click your heels and you are where Google street view on your computer screen is showing.

When there, click your heels to get back home.

Supplied with hotel accomodation and travel insurance plan in case the second part doesn't work.

Lucca Wed 25-May-22 02:53:10

Oh there is only one.

BigBertha1 Wed 25-May-22 05:55:03

A silent hairdryer
Mascara that doesn't blob
Jumpers that don't nibble
Good that doesn't put on weight
A cure for arthritis

Esspee Wed 25-May-22 05:58:53

A washer/drier that also folds and puts clothes away.

Blondiescot Wed 25-May-22 08:06:32

StarDreamer

Click your heels and you are where Google street view on your computer screen is showing.

When there, click your heels to get back home.

Supplied with hotel accomodation and travel insurance plan in case the second part doesn't work.

Now I was thinking along similar lines. It would be bliss to be able to go wherever you wanted in the blink of an eye without having all the hassle associated with airports and being crammed onto a plane with all those other people!

volver Wed 25-May-22 08:11:32

Lucca

Oh there is only one.

flowers

dragonfly46 Wed 25-May-22 08:15:41

A robot window washer.

dragonfly46 Wed 25-May-22 08:17:07

Oh and a teleport to take me anywhere in the world.

M0nica Wed 25-May-22 08:18:30

Not sure it is an invention but Fusion. An endless supply of energy to solve our global warming problems.

Cheap fusion, so that every country no matter how poor can afford to install and manage fusion energy facilities.

DanniRae Wed 25-May-22 09:35:06

A wardrobe for our clothes that has a button that sorts out an outfit for each day and presents it on a hanger.

A gadget to put clean duvet covers on - especially king size ones.

A laser beam around my house that moths or flies can't cross.

Callistemon21 Wed 25-May-22 09:40:25

StarDreamer

You're not on a waiting list for anything, I take it!

StarDreamer Wed 25-May-22 09:41:16

I suppose that Fusion is a known phenomenon, it happens in the sun, the invention(s) would be how to produce fusion in application on earth safely and such that the energy could be applied.

Does anyone remember when Zeta hit the headlines?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZETA_(fusion_reactor)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZETA_(fusion_reactor)#/media/File:A_sun_of_our_own_newspaper_headline.jpg

I remember at that time a television entertainment show where a comedian came on carrying a bucket labelled SEA WATER and said it was to power his car, which he added was a "two zetar" (ie a "two-seater") so that seems to suggest the topic was in the mainstream public awareness.

One way to look at it is that humankind has already done that in that there are solar panels on earth that output energy in the form of electrical current.

So if vast arrays of solar panels were installed in deserts then would the result for what M0nica wishes be achieved?

henetha Wed 25-May-22 09:41:55

Yes, as above, - a Star Trek machine that beams us up to anywhere in the world. smile

Callistemon21 Wed 25-May-22 09:42:15

Lucca

Oh there is only one.

Lucca ?

I would if I could.

StarDreamer Wed 25-May-22 09:45:11

Callistemon21

StarDreamer

How do you mean please?

Callistemon21 Wed 25-May-22 09:49:13

Perfectly clear, I thought.

StarDreamer Wed 25-May-22 09:53:46

henetha

Yes, as above, - a Star Trek machine that beams us up to anywhere in the world. smile

I know it is not the same, but Google street view can allow one to get some of the experience of visiting somewhere.

I have found it interesting to do a virtual visit to somewhere where I had actually been previously to try to understand how my memory of actually visiting somewhere compares with my memory of having made a Google street view virtual visit somewhere.

I find Google street view marvellous, I found that I could actually make a virtual trip on a barge along some of the minor canals of Venice, with the opportunity to look around at each point on the trip.

annodomini Wed 25-May-22 09:59:24

I'd have a teleporter that would take me to my destination slimmer and fitter.

re the much maligned NHS: I left a request on our practice's web site an hour ago and within 5 minutes the receptionist was on the phone with an appointment at 12.10. When I consider how long I would once have waited on a long queue of phone callers, this is staggeringly efficient service.