Gransnet forums

Chat

Gulls nesting on police car put vehicle out of action​

(9 Posts)
GagaJo Sat 28-May-22 10:22:29

Not bad news for a change!

Officers are unable to clear the clump of twigs and branches because - as they well know - it is illegal to damage or destroy a birds' nest - Graham Hunt
Officers are unable to clear the clump of twigs and branches because - as they well know - it is illegal to damage or destroy a birds' nest - Graham Hunt
A police car has been put out of action after a pair of protected seagulls started nesting on its roof.

Officers are unable to clear the clump of twigs and branches because it is illegal to damage or destroy a birds' nest under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

Instead, they have coned off the patrol car in the seaside town of Bridport, Dorset, to keep members of the public away from it.

A spokesman for the RSPB said they were reassured that the birds would be safe while under police protection.

However, as the nesting season for seagulls runs until July, the squad car could be out of use for months.

The herring gulls have propped up their nest against the long blue strobe light fixed to the roof. They have been observed coming and going from it as they prepare to lay and incubate their eggs.

uk.yahoo.com/news/seagulls-nesting-police-car-puts-110612671.html

Hellogirl1 Sat 28-May-22 21:29:25

Aw!!

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 28-May-22 22:02:48

Nice story for a change!

Robin49 Sat 28-May-22 22:15:24

Lovely story!?

ElaineI Sat 28-May-22 23:11:20

Nice that nature is sometimes allowed to prevail. The primary school DD1 teaches in was delayed for a while as bats were found in the old school rafters so it could not be demolished till they moved on.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 29-May-22 08:06:27

We have plenty of them on our chimney pots?

I don’t think people realise that they are a protected species.

Liz46 Sun 29-May-22 08:13:50

A man was working on our utility room and threw a brick onto the floor. He was horrified when he realised that there was a bat attached to it. He pointed to an area where some pipes were boxed in and said there could be hundreds more there!

Luckily I knew the 'bat lady' from the local woods and phoned her. She came straight round, examined the bat and found him to be ok. She said he was a young pipastrelle (spelling?) and would have been on his own.

Her instructions were to keep him in the box she had brought and when it was dark to hold him in one open hand and gently stroke him with the other. So when my husband came home from work I said 'I have a little job for you'.

The bat flew off successfully leaving my husband with a present in his hand.

Germanshepherdsmum Sun 29-May-22 08:39:10

Another lovely story.?

Athrawes Sun 29-May-22 09:12:16

Love it! The car must have been parked there for a while for the gulls to get the pieces for their nest!!!