Gransnet forums

Chat

Janey Godley - Glasgow, June 2022

(24 Posts)
FarNorth Sat 18-Jun-22 14:01:26

I'm not a huge fan of Janey Godley, but I liked her Nicola Sturgeon voice-overs.
This is a recording of her recent appearance in Glasgow and I think it is very good.

www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00186qm

Esspee Sat 18-Jun-22 14:45:00

Such a pity she has been so foul mouthed in the past and aired such objectionable views. She may have apologised but she did say those things. I'm sorry she is ill but that doesn't alter what she has said in the past.

FarNorth Sat 18-Jun-22 15:13:04

Indeed, she can't alter the past but I'm willing to believe she has realised how offensive the things were, that she said.

volver Sat 18-Jun-22 15:53:37

There was a thread about Janey earlier in the week FarNorth, I wonder if you missed it.

There are people who don't think she's funny, and that's OK, nobody is forced to find her funny. I do think she's funny.

There are some who will never forgive her for the tweets, but in my mind she has owned what she did and never tried to excuse it. I do think she is an example of how people can move on. She makes me think of the mother in Shuggie Bain, not sure you'd want her for a pal, but she is what she is.

On the other thread (sorry, TAAT) she was accused of milking her illness. Yet she is raising awareness of ovarian cancer and this week, she was talking about donated blood. She's not posh, she's not "nice". Bowelbabe never gets accused of milking her illness

She's marmite.

She's going to be at the EIBF - I'm going to listen in remotely.

volver Sat 18-Jun-22 16:09:02

This just showed up on my FB feed.

Moral - if you're going to get cancer, try not to be common.

Blossoming Sat 18-Jun-22 17:24:19

I love Janey, I follow her YouTube channel and she has me in stitches and tears equally.

paddyann54 Sat 18-Jun-22 17:58:03

She has been very kind to my daughter for years ,msgs her and has called her on a few occasions.My daughter has multiple illnesses that see her confined to bed most of the time.Janey's voiceovers really cheered her up and she told her that they made her day a wee bit brighter .
When her first book was coming out my daughter asked if she would do the audio book herself as it would make it so much better ,she even offered my GS a wee job doing online stuff for her and her daughter .
She has a kind heart but she doesn't suffer fools lightly .
I wish her well in her cancer journey .It takes too many ,too young .

Lettice Sat 18-Jun-22 18:15:34

I love her, and her offensiveness. How do we know where the boundaries are if no one bumps into them.

JaneJudge Sat 18-Jun-22 18:18:27

I don't understand how she has been offensive but I really love her. She has had hell of a lot of trauma to cope with throughout her life
I don't give a shit if people think she is common, she isn't. It's incredibly offensive and snobbish and quite frankly disgusting to describe anyone as common

Zoejory Sat 18-Jun-22 18:20:34

We're all common

She's tweeted some rather racist stuff in the past, JaneJudge

volver Sat 18-Jun-22 18:24:07

JaneJudge

I don't understand how she has been offensive but I really love her. She has had hell of a lot of trauma to cope with throughout her life
I don't give a shit if people think she is common, she isn't. It's incredibly offensive and snobbish and quite frankly disgusting to describe anyone as common

I hope you don't think I was calling her common JaneJudge, I was just showing the different treatment you can expect if you don't fit the stereotype of being "nice".

JaneJudge Sat 18-Jun-22 18:31:55

yes, I knew what you meant but I really hate people being called common. I am not common. MY name is Jane and I am not fucking common

volver Sat 18-Jun-22 18:34:31

flowers JaneJudge

GrannyGravy13 Sat 18-Jun-22 18:38:42

Dame Deborah James has raised awareness of Bowel Cancer over many years, three women started the podcast at least one has since died, they have also raised thousands of £s for research.

It’s got nothing whatsoever to do with being nice.

Blondiescot Sat 18-Jun-22 19:01:58

Zoejory

We're all common

She's tweeted some rather racist stuff in the past, JaneJudge

Not to mention calling people 'mongs', which is beyond the pale...

volver Sat 18-Jun-22 19:34:07

I'm not trying to criticise Dame Deborah in any way, I’d never heard of her before the Damehood but its clear that she has done amazing work.

But Janey does the best she can with what she’s got. She raises awareness of ovarian cancer at every opportunity, and this week she got blood donation in the spotlight. Many of the people who follow her on twitter are quite clearly very appreciative of what she does for Ovarian Cancer sufferers.

But she’ll never be mainstream now, for some people anything she does will be overshadowed by the offensive tweets. Even today, people are talking about her again in the context of another well known Scottish person who "misbehaved" in public. This will follow her forever.

The Facebook picture I posted above was genuine, though. For Dame Deborah a good day out is a trip to Ascot where she can meet TV personalities, Janey got a wee run out to Callendar with her sausage dog. The comparison is stark.

FarNorth Sun 19-Jun-22 10:05:52

I didn't see the other thread, volver. I'm guessing EIBF is the Edinburgh book festival www.edbookfest.co.uk/

I just happened to come across that broadcast on BBC Sounds, enjoyed it and thought I'd share it.

That's lovely to hear paddyann.

volver Sun 19-Jun-22 10:11:41

Yes FarNorth, its the Edinburgh Book Festival.

This is the link to her event, for anyone that's interested.

www.edbookfest.co.uk/the-festival/whats-on/janey-godley-secrets-in-70s-glasgow

volver Tue 28-Jun-22 19:42:57

Janey's just posted that her scan has come back clear.

Cancer gone. ??

Blondiescot Tue 28-Jun-22 19:46:42

Well, whether you're a fan of hers or not, I think we can all agree that's very good news indeed!

volver Tue 28-Jun-22 19:55:29

Exactly Blondiescot. Good post.

Zoejory Tue 28-Jun-22 19:58:22

Excellent news

FarNorth Tue 28-Jun-22 20:05:41

That's very good news.
I wish the same for everyone currently living with cancer.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 28-Jun-22 20:52:55

Good news that Jane is cancer free