Gransnet forums

Chat

What brings you contentment? ?

(123 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Fri 24-Jun-22 13:16:12

We can’t all be rich, we can’t all be successful, we can’t all be beautiful.
But I bet you, like me, know people who are all these things but lack contentment.
So what brings you contentment?
Is it a sleeping cat on your lap?
A beautiful view on a sunny day?
The knowledge of a good day well- spent?
A pair of chubby arms wrapped round your knees and shrieks of “Gwanny!” ?
Or even a Victoria sponge that has baked to perfection -even although nobody is coming to tea to eat it except you!
Please feel free to share - knowing what brings contentment to others may lift all our spirits .

Charleygirl5 Fri 24-Jun-22 13:22:35

A cat snoozing beside me- a good book, a comfortable chair in or outside, a cup of coffee, a good night's sleep- obviously not all at once but my needs are simple.

tanith Fri 24-Jun-22 13:33:29

A seat in the garden on a sunny day a good book and a cuppa. Oh and all my neighbours out at work and its quiet.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 24-Jun-22 13:37:02

I have had my perfect morning, the two and a half year old Imp has just had a two hour nap on my lap.

Which of course meant I couldn’t move and had to do absolutely nothing…

merlotgran Fri 24-Jun-22 13:37:54

My parents were very frugal so setting myself a tight budget makes me feel secure which brings contentment.
Also:
Getting messages or phone calls from adult grandchildren asking for advice on all manner of subjects makes me feel like the family fount of all knowledge. ?
Snuggling on the sofa with my dog.
Cooking something yummy with home grown produce - even if it’s just for me.
A glass of wine and a good book or quality drama on TV.
Starting a new knitting project or opening a tin of paint - Any new colour lifts the spirits.
Gardening and all things garden related.
A good old catch up with my brother - Just done that. ?

lixy Fri 24-Jun-22 13:39:16

A well-pruned hedge, even if it takes me all day!

Curlywhirly Fri 24-Jun-22 13:42:44

Knowing that all my little family are well and and that they have no worries (although having no worries doesn't happen often!).
Sitting with a cuppa and an hour to spare surfing the Internet.
In summer, sitting in the garden, and soaking up the sunshine.
When the grandchildren have a sleepover and they sneak into our bed for a cuddle - priceless!

timetogo2016 Fri 24-Jun-22 14:18:28

Being around my family.
Looking out at the sea.
Watching the birds in the garden having a splash in the bird bath.
Being followed by the garden robins whilst mowing the lawn.

aonk Fri 24-Jun-22 14:24:18

Being with my grandchildren anywhere, anytime.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Jun-22 14:37:48

Just being retired and being mistress of my own diary is contentment for me.

Joseanne Fri 24-Jun-22 14:44:04

Having everything I need to make me smile.

henetha Fri 24-Jun-22 14:50:27

I like your choice of the word contentment. It's what I aim at rather than happiness. A good book, a cup of tea sitting out on my little patio, a good film on TV. It's just simple things which bring contentment I think.

Juliet27 Fri 24-Jun-22 14:58:19

I so agree henetha

ShazzaKanazza Fri 24-Jun-22 15:05:34

Reading all your posts on contentment is so lovely. The little things in life are so important to enjoy. Just being with my grandchildren making them smile and laugh and seeing my family healthy is my contentment in life.

Serendipity22 Fri 24-Jun-22 15:14:05

Living in my childhood home brings me contentment, I have had to lose my mum in order for me to feel live here so it's come at a VERY high price, also being able to help my children financially, not thousands of pounds, not even hundreds of pounds, but just being able to treat them, THAT brings me contentment..

?

icanhandthemback Fri 24-Jun-22 15:19:12

Having my family and their families around me. With 6 children, their partners and their children, it is crowded, noisy and keeps me busy but I love it.

M0nica Fri 24-Jun-22 15:24:55

I have almost always felt content with life in general

Dee1012 Fri 24-Jun-22 15:25:25

Curled up on the sofa with my dogs.

Walking my dogs really early before the rest of the world wakes up and watching them play.

My son wrapping his arms around me and kissing the top of my head - he's 6"8.

Even though I lost both parents when they were young, everything we needed to say was said and I still 'feel' their love.

Calendargirl Fri 24-Jun-22 15:26:35

“A contented mind is a blessing kind”.

crazyH Fri 24-Jun-22 15:33:09

It depends on what your expectations of life are. It’s never 100%. There’s always something going on in my large family, some angst or the other. But, if they are all in fairly good health, I am content.

Pantglas2 Fri 24-Jun-22 15:35:32

Stirring my chicken and chorizo risotto after I’ve opened the white wine and waved the cork over it - I always think they really mean me to drink it, rather than burn off the alcohol in the pan ?

And yes, I do know I’m committing a culinary crime by mixing two countries ingredients but it is very moreish ?

LauraNorderr Fri 24-Jun-22 16:14:15

What a lovely idea for a thread. I must say I'm usually quite contended, I've been lucky in life to find the right man for me and to still have him, to have a good family who seem to love each other, to have good health, to have a comfortable home and to be able to be warm and well fed.
My favourite moments are sitting in the garden having lunch with Orlin and listening to the birds singing. I love it when my whole family are here and there's noise and laughter, chaos and mess and I love that contentment after they've all left, order is restored and all's quiet again.
Chats with friends old and new, a good book, my own choice of background music (not Orlin's), success in the garden when nurtured seedlings finally flower. A nice meal, a good cup of coffee and a slice of Victoria sponge, carrot cake, coffee cake, lemon drizzle or any cake at all!
So many lovely things bring me contentment, just thinking about a few have made me feel content.

Callistemon21 Fri 24-Jun-22 16:45:18

I'm generally contented as long as all is well with the family.

Sitting in the garden or the conservatory watching and listening to the birds
Sitting down to dinner at the weekend with a glass of wine
Completing some cleaning task although I didn't enjoy it at the time
Watching the sea (rarely these days).
A pair of chubby arms wrapped round your knees and shrieks of “Gwanny!” they're more likely to kiss the top of my head these days ?

nadateturbe Fri 24-Jun-22 17:21:58

Cup of tea and crossword with my husband.

Listening to classic fm whilst doing my jigsaw.

Having the energy to bake a batch of cherry scones.

Having all the children visit together and listening to them chat to each other. ( hasn't happened for years).

kittylester Fri 24-Jun-22 17:30:08

I am generally contented but currently sitting in the upstairs sitting room with the windows open, having a cuppa and trying to finish the crossword before dh makes me especially content.